[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Nov 1, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #721 of 5,701
FYI - Got an update from HiFiGo earlier today indicating the first shipments for preorders is now not expected to happen until December.

Nov 2, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #722 of 5,701
I have no idea if the pre-ordered M17 will be available soon .. But, It should be nice if Fiio.EU could deliver them within November.

Any idea if the desktop stand will be sold separately ? as I intend to buy a second one to be used at office.

Nov 2, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #723 of 5,701
Sharing some initial thoughts here, M17 actually arrived last Thursday from JD.com, the MSRP in China is 12K RMB which is around 1,875 USD including taxes. However, I was too busy with other things over the weekend, not until last night I finally did the unboxing.

First Impression: indeed a desktop-level portable DAP, the power output is just outrageous, no problem at all driving HD 600 with either over-ear headphone mode (1.5W@32Ω, 250mW@300Ω) or Enhanced over-ear headphone mode (3W@32Ω, 500mW@300Ω), balanced 4.4 is much better than 6.35 SE here per usual, with volume around 75 out of 120 is already loud enough.

202111021651520.jpg

202111021651521.jpg

202111021651522.jpg

202111021651527.jpg

Next up straight to Susvara, I mean why not? After all, the biggest selling point of M17 is to drive big guns. Turn on Enhanced mode, turn up the volume all the way to 110-115, and boom I just can't believe Susvara actually sounds pretty decent on a portable DAP... Currently waiting for Soloist 3XGT 8W@32Ω to arrive in a week's time, so atm I only have Conductor 3XR 5W@32Ω as a reference. I would say the difference is not that big at all (using around 70% Volume on 3XR) Of course, Susvara has much more potential since 3XR does not include a particularly strong amp, but it's mind-blowing now we have a 600-gram portable DAP that can be plugged in & out Susvara and sounds nearly as good as DAP + $2000 DAC/Amp Combo, all while only costs $1,875.

202111021651525.jpg

Compared to QA390LE, 390LE still has the upper hand but lead is slim, note that I've only used DC mode for both HD 600 & Susvara, on battery mode (without enhanced mode) 390LE would have a bigger gap, for IEMs I can barely hear the difference. For those who are not familiar with the product, 390LE is an All-In-One portable player made by Quloos, it is a great Source/DAC combo with a so-so amp, it has a much bigger footprint in size than M17 so it's more desktop-oriented, but you can still easily use it as a portable device if you want. The recently upgraded 390 Limited Edition is one of the best Source+DAC under $2,000 on the market, by paring with a powerful headphone amp or even power amp, there is no need to get a separate source and DAC if you care about sound as well as form factor and portability, the only downside is it's not widely available in markets other than China.

202111021651526.jpg

Compared to my long-time favorite R8, the 1W@32Ω definitely "lacks behind", maybe not so apparent in HD600, but you can easily hear the difference in Susvara, R8 simply is not powerful enough to directly drive the big boy. As with 390LE, the difference in IEMs is pretty much minimum.

202111021651524.jpg

Several cons after the initial test

1) No DSD512 support from MicroSD, which is a very strange decision, no biggie but I still like to play those few albums as I did in R8.

2) Random song order inside of SACD ISO, very annoying because it's totally random every time you enter the folder, you have no idea which song is actually the first...

202111021651523.jpg

3) Touchscreen is not as responsive/accurate as R8.

4) When running in enhanced over-ear mode, it's certainly getting very hot, so totally makes sense for FiiO to send the fan station free along with it.

202111021752400.jpg

I'll probably keep R8 as I already have 390LE as a portable-desktop front, but M17 is easily the best product FiiO has ever produced, and it's the only portable source you can just put into pocket and drive every big headphones out there.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #724 of 5,701
FYI - Got an update from HiFiGo earlier today indicating the first shipments for preorders is now not expected to happen until December.
It looks like you heard it different than I did. :)

I checked when I can order from the 2nd production batch and was told the next orders won't be until around December, with the 2nd batch after that in 2022.

And, that Hifigo has been shipping out Pre-Sales M17 since yesterday.

So all you early-birds, please let us know how the M17 compares with the other FiiO DAP's like the M15/M11 Plus/etc... :)

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #725 of 5,701
Sharing some initial thoughts here, M17 actually arrived last Thursday from JD.com, the MSRP in China is 12K RMB which is around 1,875 USD including taxes. However, I was too busy with other things over the weekend, not until last night I finally did the unboxing.

First Impression: indeed a desktop-level portable DAP, the power output is just outrageous, no problem at all driving HD600 with either over-ear headphone mode (1.5W@32Ω, 250mW@300Ω) or Enhanced over-ear headphone mode (3W@32Ω, 500mW@300Ω), balanced 4.4 is much better than 6.35 SE here per usual, with volume around 75 out of 120 is already loud enough.

202111021651520.jpg
202111021651521.jpg
202111021651522.jpg
202111021651527.jpg

Next up straight to Susvara, I mean why not? After all, the biggest selling point of M17 is to drive big guns. Turn on Enhanced mode, turn up the volume all the way to 110-115, and boom I just can't believe Susvara actually sounds pretty decent on a portable DAP... Currently waiting for Soloist 3XGT 8W@32Ω to arrive in a week's time, so atm I only have Conductor 3XR 5W@32Ω as a reference. I would say the difference is not that big at all (using around 70% Volume on 3XR) Of course, Susvara has much more potential since 3XR does not include a particularly strong amp, but it's mind-blowing now we have a 600-gram portable DAP that can be plugged in & out Susvara and sounds nearly as good as DAP + $2000 DAC/Amp Combo, all while only costs $1,875.

Compared to QA390LE, 390LE still has the upper hand but lead is slim, note that I've only used DC mode for both HD 600 & Susvara, on battery mode (without enhanced mode) 390LE would have a bigger gap, for IEMs I can barely hear the difference. For those who are not familiar with the product, 390LE is an All-In-One portable player made by Quloos, it is a great Source/DAC combo with a so-so amp.

Compared to my long-time favorite R8, the 1W@32Ω definitely "lacks behind", maybe not so apparent in HD600, but you can easily hear the difference in Susvara, R8 simply is not powerful enough to directly drive the big boy. As with 390LE, the difference in IEMs is pretty much minimum.

202111021651525.jpg
202111021651524.jpg
202111021651526.jpg

Several cons after the initial test

1) No DSD512 support from MicroSD, which is a very strange decision, not a biggie but I still like to play those few albums

2) Random song order inside of SACD ISO, very annoying because it's totally random every time you enter the folder, you have no idea which song is actually the first...

202111021651523.jpg

3) Touchscreen is not as responsive/accurate as R8

4) When running in enhanced over-ear mode, it's certainly getting very hot, so totally makes sense for FiiO to send the fan station free along with it.

202111021752400.jpg

I'll probably keep R8 as I already have 390LE as a portable-desktop front, but M17 is easily the best product FiiO has ever produced.
Thank you for the impressions. Have you tried the line out?

Nov 2, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #726 of 5,701
It looks like you heard it different than I did. :)

I checked when I can order from the 2nd production batch and was told the next orders won't be until around December, with the 2nd batch after that in 2022.

And, that Hifigo has been shipping out Pre-Sales M17 since yesterday.

So all you early-birds, please let us know how the M17 compares with the other FiiO DAP's like the M15/M11 Plus/etc... :)
HiFiGo told you they were shipping pre-sales M17 since yesterday?

Nov 2, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #727 of 5,701
Nov 2, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #729 of 5,701
HiFiGo told you they were shipping pre-sales M17 since yesterday?
Yup, here is an excerpt:

"Hi Scott, We already start to ship the pre-orders since yesterday and we dont accept new orders now until next batch coming..."

And, paraphrasing: No set date as to when the next batch will arrive, hopefully around December.

Nov 2, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #730 of 5,701
Yup, here is an excerpt:

"Hi Scott, We already start to ship the pre-orders since yesterday and we dont accept new orders now until next batch coming..."

And, paraphrasing: No set date as to when the next batch will arrive, hopefully around December.
Hmm... that's not what they told me when I asked about my pre-order. :rage:

Guessing though that something was lost in translation. Plus, I've had good experiences from HiFiGo in the past so not particularly worried about it yet...

Attachments

• HiFiGo preorder.png
    HiFiGo preorder.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #732 of 5,701
Possibly your preorder were at the last of their list, which presumably is assigned to the second batch, and that is coming in December ? 😂
Possible but suspect they more or less meant they are now focusing on fulfilling pre-orders before taking any new orders in December, which is when they expect to start/finish shipping out all the pre-orders.

Nov 2, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #733 of 5,701
Hmm... that's not what they told me when I asked about my pre-order. :rage:

Guessing though that something was lost in translation. Plus, I've had good experiences from HiFiGo in the past so not particularly worried about it yet...
Possible but suspect they more or less meant they are now focusing on fulfilling pre-orders before taking any new orders in December, which is when they expect to start/finish shipping out all the pre-orders.
Did you order/pay for an M17 through Hifigo yet? If you did you should have an Order #Number already from Hifigo, and an Email notice will follow with the Tracking number/link when that Order #Number ships.

Hifigo ships through a service that will pick up from Hifigo and transport it to the actual shipper - that is when your tracking number will start to show progress going through the various stages until it Fly's Out to your country.

You posted Hifigo's reply, but what was your question to them? We need that question text to place the context of their answer to you. If you didn't include the Order #Number in that email request to Hifigo that may be why they thought you were asking about ordering an M17, instead of having already ordered/paid for an M17 and actually that you were asking about if/when it would ship.

From their answer only without the context of your question, it seems they think you are asking when you can preorder an M17 from them, right?, or?

Hifigo "Sold Out" of the initial batch of M17's allocated to them, so unless you already ordered/paid for your M17, you'll need to wait until December to order through Hifigo. And, there is no set order date for the next batch, it could be sooner, or later.

I'd ask again about your Pre-order but include your Order #Number and inquire when it was picked up by the jobber delivery service to the shipper.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #734 of 5,701
Did you order/pay for an M17 through Hifigo yet? If you did you should have an Order number already, and an Email notice with the Tracking number/link when it ships.

Hifigo ships through a service that will pick up from Hifigo and transport it to the actual shipper - that is when your tracking number will start to show progress going through the various stages until it Fly's Out to your country.

You posted Hifigo's reply, but what was your question to them? We need that question text to place the context of their answer to you.

From their answer only without the context of your question, it seems they think you are asking when you can preorder an M17 from them, right?, or?

Hifigo "Sold Out" of the initial batch of M17's allocated to them, so unless you already ordered/paid for your M17, you'll need to wait until December to order through Hifigo. And, there is no set order date for the next batch, it could be sooner, or later.

I'd ask again about your Pre-order but include your Order # to inquire when it was picked up by the jobber delivery service to the shipper.
Yep, I purchased a pre-order unit soon after they started selling them and was assigned an order number - it's the part that was blacked out in my email next to "Pre-Order."

My question to them was sent from their portal on their website after logging into my account asking about the status of my pre-order to see if it has shipped yet. They then sent that email stating they haven't starting shipping M17s, don't have a specific release date yet and expect to begin shipping in December in the sequence pre-orders were purchased.

Later I followed up again on their portal and received a semi-automatic message stating the order is awaiting fulfillment. Note every time a customer logs into their account with a pending, unshipped order an automatic message pops up asking if we want to check on our order's status as can be seen in that screenshot below.

Attachments

• HiFiGo order status.png
    HiFiGo order status.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #735 of 5,701
Yep, I purchased a pre-order unit soon after they started selling them and was assigned an order number - it's the part that was blacked out in my email next to "Pre-Order."

My question to them was sent from their portal on their website after logging into my account asking about the status of my pre-order to see if it has shipped yet. They then sent that email stating they haven't starting shipping M17s, don't have a specific release date yet and expect to begin shipping in December in the sequence pre-orders were purchased.

Later I followed up again on their portal and received a semi-automatic message stating the order is awaiting fulfillment. Note every time a customer logs into their account with a pending, unshipped order an automatic message pops up asking if we want to check on our order's status as can be seen in that screenshot below.
That's what I thought, if you ordered you should have all the tools to track your order status.

I would ask again, and let them know "you've heard the M17's have already started shipping from Hifigo yesterday, fulfilling those Pre-Orders" :)

I'll ask for clarification too, it seems confusing to me too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back