[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Jul 14, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #4,278 of 5,692
Yep, stated a few posts back, but I have done this too. I have done this several times. I have downloaded the 1+ gig package from you site 4 or 5 maybe more times since you announced its release. :frowning2:
I have updated mine without any issue. Are you updating in android mode or pure music mode? I have done mine in pure music mode with no issue at all.

Jul 14, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #4,280 of 5,692
@pythagore , Please see the post immediately above the one where someone missed that you started with "It will be nice if ...". I addressed the FW problem right above that.

Discovered after system reset the firmware update to 1.0.4 had actually been applied. But all was/is not well in my system as for some reason my system kept reporting I had FW 1.0.3 still installed and kept insisting that I install 1.0.4. I now can't be sure this won't happen to me again when installing 1.0.5. But will jump off that bridge when I come to it.

Jul 15, 2022 at 5:10 AM Post #4,282 of 5,692
Jul 15, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #4,283 of 5,692
so you plan on updating to allow it to have dsd512 and 768khz local play support?
Dear hardpike,

Do you mean MQA 8x? Since the SOC can only support up to 384kHz at present, local playback can only support up to DSD256 playback at present, but we are currently studying how to make the main control support 768kHz, and then it can support DSD512 playback.

Best regards

Jul 15, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #4,284 of 5,692
Well this is odd - with the firmware update, I now get a warning that the temp is too high and to stop charging. Here's the thing, I am using line out so bypassing the amp stage and I have charging disabled because I'm using DC power. Anyone else see this?

Jul 15, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #4,285 of 5,692
Any SanDisk I've found to be good just plumped for a 512gb which was on offer in the prime day .
Lol ... Prime Day ... or as I call it "buy 1Tb mSD cards on the cheap, Day" :D SanDisk is usually the best bet and what I usually get. Tho thought I'd try the Lexars this time, and bought two. Hope I don't get burnt.

Jul 15, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #4,286 of 5,692
Lol ... Prime Day ... or as I call it "buy 1Tb mSD cards on the cheap, Day" :D SanDisk is usually the best bet and what I usually get. Tho thought I'd try the Lexars this time, and bought two. Hope I don't get burnt.
Lexar, Sandisk, and Samsung are all solid.

Jul 17, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #4,287 of 5,692
As long as you're buying one of the main brands, such as SanDisk, Samsung, Lexar, PNY, etc. you'll be fine. Thankfully Amazon has now pushed the fake cards, which keep re-appearing under different brand names, way down their list.
It will be nice if:
- all-to-DSD is updated to support up to DSD256 or more instead of the current DSD64 only.
- the fan is not needed anymore when on DC mode (I sometimes forgot to turn it on, and the unit got too hot and shut itself off on me after a while)
I'm sure with DS256 up-scaling it would get hotter much faster.
It'd be nice if the fan wasn't necessary, but you'd need a physically large heatsink instead. FiiO would have to lower the output power in DC mode otherwise, which is the same as... not using DC mode. :)

Jul 18, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #4,288 of 5,692
Dear hardpike,

Do you mean MQA 8x? Since the SOC can only support up to 384kHz at present, local playback can only support up to DSD256 playback at present, but we are currently studying how to make the main control support 768kHz, and then it can support DSD512 playback.

Best regards
@FiiO is it possible to update mqa to 16x in the future software update?

Jul 18, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #4,289 of 5,692
As long as you're buying one of the main brands, such as SanDisk, Samsung, Lexar, PNY, etc. you'll be fine. Thankfully Amazon has now pushed the fake cards, which keep re-appearing under different brand names, way down their list.

I'm sure with DS256 up-scaling it would get hotter much faster.
It'd be nice if the fan wasn't necessary, but you'd need a physically large heatsink instead. FiiO would have to lower the output power in DC mode otherwise, which is the same as... not using DC mode. :)
Frankly, I wouldn't mind a bigger unit in order to fit a big heatsink in. anyone buying this unit does not care about the size or weight, I personally needed a somewhat portable unit that I can use both at home as a desktop DAC or DAP, and in my car as a DAP; the M17 fits the bill, but that add-on fan irritates me sometimes. Sometimes I forgot to turn it on, and at times it is so loud.

Jul 18, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #4,290 of 5,692
Frankly, I wouldn't mind a bigger unit in order to fit a big heatsink in. anyone buying this unit does not care about the size or weight, I personally needed a somewhat portable unit that I can use both at home as a desktop DAC or DAP, and in my car as a DAP; the M17 fits the bill, but that add-on fan irritates me sometimes. Sometimes I forgot to turn it on, and at times it is so loud.
Heatsink alone doesn't help if it is not 3x the size of M17 that is also routed outside the case. Plus, it cannot be internal alone - the hot air needs to be moved out and fast and that only happens if you have ventilation ports plus fans inside. Ventilation ports will make it fragile, additional fans will double the size and reduce the battery life, so it is not feasible. Just like gaming laptops.

This is simply as good as it can get. If you don't want heat, then you can buy a smaller and less powerful DAP, so you don't need to deal with the fan anymore. If you need power, then heat is part of the package.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back