[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
May 28, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #3,976 of 5,690
You working on a power mod?
I am thinking about one, but I need to clarify some answers from @JamesFiiO

1/ under PSU mode, will all the power supplies of high voltage be feeding Both the DAC and the Amps ?

The reasons I asked is because ES9038Pros are desktop tiers, and from my experiences with it, the better the power supplies, the better it Clocks and error corrections, the better the performances. Also, This DAC recommend high voltage Low Pass Filters circuitry of 12-15V

2/ I need to know the maximum Voltage allowable from the PSU.

Finally, if I am building the PSU, I wonder if people would have demands for it

May 28, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #3,977 of 5,690

1/ under PSU mode, will all the power supplies of high voltage be feeding Both the DAC and the Amps ?

The reasons I asked is because ES9038Pros are desktop tiers, and from my experiences with it, the better the power supplies, the better it Clocks and error corrections, the better the performances. Also, This DAC recommend high voltage Low Pass Filters circuitry of 12-15V

Regarding item 2: yes.

May 28, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #3,978 of 5,690

I would gladly sit on train if that would work.

May 28, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #3,979 of 5,690
Another matter I would want to address and it seems a lot of people are confused as well.

I have seen it asked from time to time. Could I use a battery Pack of 15V-DC and run the M17 in Enhanced mode ? Or PSU mode ?

Well, I am not sure if someone has tried it, because Voltage is Voltage the M17 or any electrical devices will not realize where this Voltage is coming from, whether it is Lead battery, 12V automotive batteries, or solar packs….etc….or AC-PSU.

But the one main reason why you wouldn’t want to run it off Battery packs when there is a possibility to run it off the Wall AC.

Power supply dynamic transient responses

Batteries have it own limit of the responses , which is a changes instantaneously between Loads. So a bass drops will demand a different dynamic load VS A cymbal splashes
, and the battery will have to answer to these responses. This is the dynamic transients responses limitations of batteries VS Power supplies….and also batteries VS batteries among themselves. Some batteries have better responses than others :wink: ….. hence, different batteries will sound different. Also, a new battery packs will sound different than 3 years old packs ….Yes, your DAP will sound different 3 years from now as well :D. But don’t be too OCD about it yet. The largest advantages of battery packs is low floor noises, but if the power is raised up too much then you will have a lot of higher floor noises (hisses)….

My point is that, if you can run a very dedicated PSU and audiophile grades directly to feed the DAC, the LPF networks, and the Amps for M17. Please do so! Regardless of gain and or Modes. Because your M17 will be fed by a quality power supplies (or Blood)! Even among PSU designs, the different transient responses, noises, will be effecting the end performances as well

Last edited:
May 28, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #3,980 of 5,690
Just came across this amazing video from Fiio!. I did notice the Bluetooth antenna being ripped off 😂. But still amazing job

It is amazing to show us DIY how to work on the M17. I am glad that Fiio has progressed so far to show all the features, functional blocks designs, and even exposed assembly videos together with a real Tear-down video. This is a lot better than other brands.

May 28, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #3,981 of 5,690
Just came across this amazing video from Fiio!. I did notice the Bluetooth antenna being ripped off 😂. But still amazing job

It is amazing to show us DIY how to work on the M17. I am glad that Fiio has progressed so far to show all the features, functional blocks designs, and even exposed assembly videos together with a real Tear-down video. This is a lot better than other brands.

M17 is a true powerhouse.

May 28, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #3,982 of 5,690
May 28, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #3,983 of 5,690
What manufacturer uses the screen in the player М17?

May 28, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #3,984 of 5,690
You just need to make sure the adapter has OTG capability. USB C has OTG built into the spec, but USB B or A does not. Having said that, I would use coax since that is less digital processing between the M17 to the Sony. In fact for my TA, I use a Schiit EITR USB to coax converter when I use my iPad as a digital source. Also note that the USB B on the Sony does not provide power to your M17 so using coax allows you to still power your M17 via USB or DC.
just to let you know: the right usb host port of the fiio m17 works very well with the sony taz using the aq carbon usb-c / usb-b cable.

Last edited:
May 28, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #3,985 of 5,690
Been meaning to ask... is there a way to display the VU meter in the Fiio app on the M17?

May 28, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #3,986 of 5,690
Been meaning to ask... is there a way to display the VU meter in the Fiio app on the M17?
Have you tapped the album art when in Now Playing?

May 28, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #3,987 of 5,690
@m8o Yep, I go from this:

Screenshot_20220528-192841.png

To this:

Screenshot_20220528-192850.png

And back to the first pic if I press again.

May 29, 2022 at 1:38 AM Post #3,989 of 5,690
@m8o Yep, I go from this:
Yup, I second Josef ... you can't have the spectrum enabled.

Besides, spectrum so slow and inaccurate and small, it's not worth the cpu clock ticks or battery drain. Not that the meter is any better tho. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back