[FiiO M17] Dual ES9038PRO, dual THXAAA-788+, dual power supplies, 9200mAh battery, 2 volume control modes
Apr 8, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #3,496 of 5,692
If I ever get the M17, I will not stream. Hearing of all these USB cable/pairing issues makes me happy about that.

I have only read Nomax with such issues ... did you read other users ?
Otherwise Usb-c pairing issues with my WDP50 4Tb SSD is worse with most of my daps => R6Pro, Kann Alpha and even as difficult as M17 with my brand new smartphones like Galaxy Z Fold 3 5G ...
I don't think there are any other DAP on the market able to connect an external pocket 4Tb SSD on the USB-C Host port (bottom on the right) and still be powered with a dedicated 12/3A Dc input or send through USB-C bitperfect FLAC or DSD in native mode to an external DAC (bottom on the left), or even use a Cinch Spdif as output (24/192 & DSD64) .... with an android 10 powerampEQ compitable OS.
I really wonder which could do this like this real swiss army knife ?

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #3,497 of 5,692
I have only read Nomax with such issues ... did you read other users ?
Otherwise Usb-c pairing issues with my WDP50 4Tb SSD is worse with most of my daps => R6Pro, Kann Alpha and even as difficult as M17 with my brand new smartphones like Galaxy Z Fold 3 5G ...
I don't think there are any other DAP on the market able to connect an external pocket 4Tb SSD on the USB-C Host port (bottom on the right) and still be powered with a dedicated 12/3A Dc input or send through USB-C bitperfect FLAC or DSD in native mode to an external DAC (bottom on the left), or even use a Cinch Spdif as output (24/192 & DSD64) .... with an android 10 powerampEQ compitable OS.
I really wonder which could do this like this real swiss army knife ?
It does seem like he is the one with issues. I am old fashioned in wanting local files. Cell phones and internet can be turned off by infrastructure failures or government order. Using SSD is intriguing. How about HDD?

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #3,498 of 5,692
It does seem like he is the one with issues. I am old fashioned in wanting local files. Cell phones and internet can be turned off by infrastructure failures or government order. Using SSD is intriguing. How about HDD?
Hdd will often need a dedicated power supply, SSD and USB card reader usually don't need.

Powered HDD drives can be used more or less like SSD drives or external USB SD cards readers ... => some of my DAPs can use such drives (M17, M11, KannAlpha) other can't (R6Pro, WM1A, M8V2).. but, only the the FIIO M17 can use an external hard drives and still be powered by a portable power bank or an external power supply. This is worth for long overseas flights.

Apr 8, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #3,499 of 5,692
Hdd will often need a dedicated power supply, SSD and USB card reader usually don't need.

Powered HDD drives can be used more or less like SSD drives or external USB SD cards readers ... => some of my DAPs can use such drives (M17, M11, KannAlpha) other can't (R6Pro, WM1A, M8V2).. but, only the the FIIO M17 can use an external hard drives and still be powered by a portable power bank or an external power supply. This is worth for long overseas flights.
Thanks. I don't stream, but HDD/SSD is definitely of interest. I am loving NW-WM1Z and LPGT at the moment, so I may lurk and take the plunge down the road.

Apr 8, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #3,500 of 5,692
If I am not wrong, APOS is having a welcome sale, 10% off of M17 right now. For those looking to buy one, this may be a good opportunity to get one. Just a fyi.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2022 at 2:56 AM Post #3,501 of 5,692
Maybe someone is interested...the remote from A&K works with M17 also fine 👍

184C49EB-DEB8-43FF-8424-EB4AF9784291.jpeg

NOMAX

PS.Flawless 😉

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #3,502 of 5,692
We will see what @xxx1313 says and means tomorrow 👍

NOMAX

PS.we will try tomorrow also some tracks from the internal storage..who knows..perhabs the dropouts/cracking noise via usb is only when you play tracks from sd card
But i have no hope because the epic trailer theme makes the same dropout/cracking noise via usb when i press pause/play

Nomax was here today, so we also had the chance to try pairing it with my DAC/amps. The M17 does also not pair stably with my HE 1 and my CMA Twelve Master via USB. No matter which USB cables are used. There are frequent drop-outs and annoying clicks, even more frequently after skipping tracks and after pressing pause/play. Moreover playbacks simply stops quite frequently. So it seems there is no DAC/amp with which the M17 can pair via USB flawlessly (without the use of additional software on the M17).

As the same problems also occured with a second M17 at the store, together with all DAC/amps tried, it clearly seems to be systematic problem, not simply a faulty unit. I am sure that FiiO can reproduce these problems and hopefully they will also be able to solve them soon via a firmware update.

Cheers,
Bernie

Apr 9, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #3,503 of 5,692
Nomax was here today, so we also had the chance to try pairing it with my DAC/amps. The M17 does also not pair stably with my HE 1 and my CMA Twelve Master via USB. No matter which USB cables are used. There are frequent drop-outs and annoying clicks, even more frequently after skipping tracks and after pressing pause/play. Moreover playbacks simply stops quite frequently. So it seems there is no DAC/amp with which the M17 can pair via USB flawlessly (without the use of additional software on the M17).

As the same problems also occured with a second M17 at the store, together with all DAC/amps tried, it clearly seems to be systematic problem, not simply a faulty unit. I am sure that FiiO can reproduce these problems and hopefully they will also be able to solve them soon via a firmware update.

Cheers,
Bernie

I don't have any of these problems using Apple Music downloaded files from my SD card. I have not tried Fiio player since it cannot read Apple Music encrypted files.

M17 USB 3.0 port to a OTG 2.0 adapter to the USB B input of my Sony TA-ZH1ES and Fiio K9 Pro (sold it recently so can't test again).

Apr 9, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #3,504 of 5,692

Cheers,
Bernie
I bough the M17 as a stand alone portable DAP/Headphone Amp and, other than my computer to upload files, I had no intention of connecting it to anything else.
After reading your post, I had a go and, I have no issues connecting my M17 via USB to my Novafidelity X45.
I also tried connecting via Coaxial, again with no issue.
All files from the M17 SD Card play on the X45 flawlessly!

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2022 at 1:31 AM Post #3,505 of 5,692
We will see,the FiiO support got videos from me about that 👍

NOMAX

PS.but my unit is no the only one,remember the second brand new unit in the shop has the same error
Should we open the next one?i am sure its the same here😉

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2022 at 2:07 AM Post #3,506 of 5,692

Cheers,
Bernie

As it seems to be the only case of such external issue... Maybe M17 is working flawless only with recent usb-c DAC only (3.1 or thunderbolt 3) ? and not at all with old USB 2 DAC ?.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #3,507 of 5,692

Cheers,
Bernie
You forgot to tag @FiiO

Apr 10, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #3,508 of 5,692
Just few words about PU.
After days and days of listening A/B between PU stock and ifi ipower elite+ ifi supernova, i have to say that a sonic difference is really felt. I really wanted that it doesn't (to save money lol) but there is something "more".
To avoid any placebo impression, I did real blind tests with my wife switching PUs on same tracks i was listening eyes closed. I recognized ifi PU on each test!
Just wanted to feedback my own experience here. It is NOT a huge gap. But this is an audible "enhancement" that i can't explain...

Brilliant, thanks a lot for your take on our power components. It's true that most such devices don't literally flip things upside down, but they can indeed make a difference that's noticeable and appreciated versus financial investments made. This is not typical just in case of our products, but in general. Enjoy!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 10, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #3,510 of 5,692
Play/stop/skip forward/skip back/Volume....sit back and enjoy your tracks at home on the couch/sofa is my motto as a perfectionist 👍
(AK RM01)

So i think many understand now why i would pair the M17 to a Dac/Amp 😉

Nomax

Ps.I hate having to reach for the player all the time to touch the screen or the buttons

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back