FiiO M15S Pocket Desktop-Level Player Discussion & Impressions Thread
Apr 3, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #61 of 944
I don't understand why this new device comes with the Android 10 out of the box. I get the 660 platform argument, but this still a 7 years old processor which I doubt any supplier will spend time developing a new SO version for it once we are almost in the 14th version with other new platforms coming out.
For the ones looking for the streaming capabilities this could be issue, the applications have a very narrow time-frame for development and support, to keep all versions ongoing at the same label of functionality.

I was looking for the M15s as an alternative to the new Sony's, but it lacks a more recent SO version, at least for the Android Mode support and all streaming apps.
Put it this way - if FiiO tried to use one of the "latest and greatest" SoCs (ala current Android smartphones), it would greatly increase the cost of the device, and people would complain about that. Not to mention - these DAPs are supposed to be purpose-built devices. They are not smartphones! IMO, any additional non-audio apps they can run is a bonus, not a requirement. We have our smartphones for non-audio stuff.

Let me ask you the opposite question - what apps do you really need to run on a Hi-Res DAP that won't run on Android 10? 🤷‍♂️

Apr 3, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #62 of 944
Put it this way - if FiiO tried to use one of the "latest and greatest" SoCs (ala current Android smartphones), it would greatly increase the cost of the device, and people would complain about that. Not to mention - these DAPs are supposed to be purpose-built devices. They are not smartphones! IMO, any additional non-audio apps they can run is a bonus, not a requirement. We have our smartphones for non-audio stuff.

Let me ask you the opposite question - what apps do you really need to run on a Hi-Res DAP that won't run on Android 10? 🤷‍♂️
His point is simply that every other manufacturer has moved on to Android 12/11 while Fiio is still using Android 10. It’s not a matter of what apps are supported, people like to have the latest stuff. Why buy a M15s ? There are other much older DAPs with ES9038PRO and Snapdragon 660 and all that. Nothing new here. Why buy this DAP that has the same DAC, Processor etc. as many other older DAPs, including Fiio’s own ? What is new in this one ..

I agree with the person who said Fiio simply releases the same DAP with different designs every couple of months. No innovation, not even new Software. Only reason why people buy Fiio DAPs is because they are more affordable, but that’s also changing fast these days ! For instance the Hiby R6 Pro II is priced cheaper than this one and has a Dual Flagship DAC. Thank God for competition !

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #63 of 944
His point is simply that every other manufacturer has moved on to Android 12/11 while Fiio is still using Android 10. It’s not a matter of what apps are supported, people like to have the latest stuff. Why buy a M15s ? There are other much older DAPs with ES9038PRO and Snapdragon 660 and all that. Nothing new here. Why buy this DAP that has the same DAC, Processor etc. as many other older DAPs, including Fiio’s own ? What is new in this one ..

I agree with the person who said Fiio simply releases the same DAP with different designs every couple of months. No innovation, not even new Software. Only reason why people buy Fiio DAPs is because they are more affordable, but that’s also changing fast these days ! For instance the Hiby R6 Pro II is priced cheaper than this one and has a Dual Flagship DAC. Thank God for competition !
I was thinking the exact same thing, however(not saying I'm pulling the trigger on this one, I'm still exploring my options), this DAP has a feature I was looking for precisely. I was really waiting for a portable player with DC mode(for me M17 is over the top). We all know batteries are the first components that tend to fail, and having a DC mode would help extend the longevity of the DAP.

I don't really mind using an older android version since I have all of my music on several hard drives, in fact, I would use it as a pure music player. The only thing that could be a bit concerning is the compatibility with certain music apps, and FiiO's actual support.

Apr 4, 2023 at 1:38 AM Post #64 of 944
His point is simply that every other manufacturer has moved on to Android 12/11 while Fiio is still using Android 10. It’s not a matter of what apps are supported, people like to have the latest stuff. Why buy a M15s ?

The android 12 or 13 does absolutely nothing for me. The battery will die before the android is completely outdated. It is a moot point to me.

I buy the m15s as it has the most complete features of any DAP out there. The desktop power option similar to m17 but with a smaller footprint is innovative enough for me. The added on QCC 5124 Bluetooth receiver is another innovation. There is no other DAP that has all these combined features. Now I can have a single DAP that has the power to drive power-hungry headphones, with a flagship 9038pro using the QCC5124 as a Bluetooth receiver. can't find any DAP that has all these features. ... hmmm I wonder why can't they copy fiio to innovate a product that has all these features with a reasonable price. - That alone is the biggest innovation in a DAP.

Apr 4, 2023 at 2:48 AM Post #65 of 944

FiiO actually posted about this issue earlier this week:
1. Yes, Apple music app is supported in M15S.
2. The M15S uses Qualcomm Snapdragon 660. The project supplier provided Android 9 and Android 10 for us based in Snapdragon 660 platform. And we have chosen the latest Android version provided by the supplier for M15S. If the project supplier could provide the new Android support in the 660 platform in the future, we will try to update it for the M15S as well.
...it's not currently up to FiiO to choose to release Android 11 support (or higher) - it's up to their SoC supplier. Unless/until the supplier offers it, FiiO's hands are tied - they don't have the ability to do this on their own, with the devices' current hardware.

Now, you could argue that FiiO should have chosen a different SoC and/or supplier to ensure newer Android support - but at what cost? How much could that have affected the overall price of the DAPs? They know that many current and potential customers would like a newer Android version - they were hearing the same thing for previous Exynos-based DAPs that were limited to Android 7. Given that they have been hearing that feedback for a long time now, they had to make a business decision that also factored in cost (taking into account that all of the other Hi-Res audio hardware (that is the whole point of buying one of their DAPs) already adds to the price significantly, too.

I'm just saying it's not as simple as that 'FiiO doesn't care', which is how some of the complaints about this issue have come across. 🤷‍♂️

Apr 4, 2023 at 4:01 AM Post #66 of 944

For me its all about the user experience, and the SO and the apps running in their last versions (or the most recent ones) are part of it.
All brands develop the news and functionalities to the last versions, then they usually adjust and try to bring the same features to older SO versions. And I doubt any brand guarantees support for 4 SO versions.
The 665 SoC is a litte bit newer (2019 I guess) and fully supports Android 12, and don't tell that the price between those 2 are so different that justify to get the older one.

I was thinking the exact same thing, however(not saying I'm pulling the trigger on this one, I'm still exploring my options), this DAP has a feature I was looking for precisely. I was really waiting for a portable player with DC mode(for me M17 is over the top). We all know batteries are the first components that tend to fail, and having a DC mode would help extend the longevity of the DAP.

I don't really mind using an older android version since I have all of my music on several hard drives, in fact, I would use it as a pure music player. The only thing that could be a bit concerning is the compatibility with certain music apps, and FiiO's actual support.

What I like in the M15S is the form factor, and some functionalities. But I need also to be sure I can run my streaming apps in full, the same experience, with a strong device to push for the music towards.
The SO used is a heavy custom by Fiio, I get and I understand, but they should also keep the SO evolution as the platforms evolve. Even for the future support and devices maintenance, other way we will need to buy a DAP every single year (or almost) to get and see what can be done with the innovation in the market.

We all know that the purpose of these DAP's, but any player in the market is aware of the evolution and in my opinion each one needs to invest more in the SO field to gain more awareness and the full confidence of the consumers.

Yes, the new Hiby is a good example of what we are discussing here, at least at the SO/SoC level.
I don't to discuss the main DAP functionalities, beacuse they still diferent devices with their own pros/cons.

Fiio could start this with the 665SoC and Android 10 and say that in a near future they will bring out and update to Android 12, something they can't with this SoC. For me it was a mistake to use it, maybe they buy it in bulk and there's a lot of stock to use, but still a bad call.

Apr 4, 2023 at 7:00 AM Post #67 of 944
For me wanting Fiio to use a better Snapdragon and higher Android version is for better battery and power management. Eventually all DAP manufacturers will move to higher Snapdragon, probably the 730, and Android 12.

My first Gen Hiby R5 was a Snapdragon 425 with Android 8.1, so updates in DAP market do happen, but not at the speed as the Mobile phone market. Yes who wouldn't want a DAP with a Snapdragon 8 Gen 2, 12GB of Ram, 1TB of UFS 4.0 storage, AMOLED screen with 120Hz refresh rate and 6000 mAh battery, but such a spec would cost over £2000.

The main thing is for Fiio to optimise the 660 and Android 10 to deliver great performance, power and battery management

Apr 4, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #68 of 944
For me its all about the user experience, and the SO and the apps running in their last versions (or the most recent ones) are part of it.
All brands develop the news and functionalities to the last versions, then they usually adjust and try to bring the same features to older SO versions. And I doubt any brand guarantees support for 4 SO versions.
The 665 SoC is a litte bit newer (2019 I guess) and fully supports Android 12, and don't tell that the price between those 2 are so different that justify to get the older one.

What I like in the M15S is the form factor, and some functionalities. But I need also to be sure I can run my streaming apps in full, the same experience, with a strong device to push for the music towards.
The SO used is a heavy custom by Fiio, I get and I understand, but they should also keep the SO evolution as the platforms evolve. Even for the future support and devices maintenance, other way we will need to buy a DAP every single year (or almost) to get and see what can be done with the innovation in the market.

We all know that the purpose of these DAP's, but any player in the market is aware of the evolution and in my opinion each one needs to invest more in the SO field to gain more awareness and the full confidence of the consumers.

Yes, the new Hiby is a good example of what we are discussing here, at least at the SO/SoC level.
I don't to discuss the main DAP functionalities, beacuse they still diferent devices with their own pros/cons.

Fiio could start this with the 665SoC and Android 10 and say that in a near future they will bring out and update to Android 12, something they can't with this SoC. For me it was a mistake to use it, maybe they buy it in bulk and there's a lot of stock to use, but still a bad call.
Given your preferences, you may want to consider getting a smartphone and a portable Dac/Amp.

I personally have the FiiO M15s on my list along with Shanling's M7 and Hiby RS6. The M15s is actually on top of my list solely for the DC mode.

Apr 4, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #69 of 944
can some of you that know the DAP market list some of the competition for the M15s... I have searched now for a few days and so far I have to say the M15s for what it does and what it costs is hard one to beat... the main differences is the dual power option, more output power than most and they seem to have the price in the right range compared to the competition... to me its like the M17 has a sassy little brother..

Apr 4, 2023 at 11:31 PM Post #70 of 944
The reason I didn’t mention about DC power even though it’s unique to Fiio DAPs at the moment is because I honestly don’t find it that practical. How many users would actually use a portable DAP plugged in all the time ? Very few. You can’t really use an Android DAP as a DAC due to latency. Sure after some years of use when the battery is worn out, this would come in handy. But by that time I’m sure there would have been many other DAPs to upgrade to. This DC power would be more useful in a DAC/AMP like the Q7 instead of in a DAP imho.

Bluetooth is another niche market. I’m not buying a 1000€ ES9038PRO DAC to use it in Bluetooth mode, even with LDAC and what not.

More output Power in a portable DAP is also arguable. Read Hiby’s recent post on this. They intentionally reduced the maximum output power on their new R6 Pro II because their research says that portable DAPs are used mostly together with IEMs including sensitives ones. With too much power, the sensitive ones start hissing. If you want high power to drive Susvara or whatever, I believe a dedicated AMP is more suited.

Anyways I’m not saying this DAP is not worth buying. I personally feel that it is more of the same that came out in the last years. For a person buying his first DAP, any DAP here including this one would be a good choice. But a lot of people in this hobby already have DAPs eh so why buy another one that doesn’t offer too much new ?

Anyways I’ll leave you guys to it since I personally am not interested in the M15s for all the reasons I mentioned.

Apr 5, 2023 at 4:22 AM Post #71 of 944
The reason I didn’t mention about DC power even though it’s unique to Fiio DAPs at the moment is because I honestly don’t find it that practical. How many users would actually use a portable DAP plugged in all the time ? Very few. You can’t really use an Android DAP as a DAC due to latency. Sure after some years of use when the battery is worn out, this would come in handy. But by that time I’m sure there would have been many other DAPs to upgrade to. This DC power would be more useful in a DAC/AMP like the Q7 instead of in a DAP imho.

Bluetooth is another niche market. I’m not buying a 1000€ ES9038PRO DAC to use it in Bluetooth mode, even with LDAC and what not.

More output Power in a portable DAP is also arguable. Read Hiby’s recent post on this. They intentionally reduced the maximum output power on their new R6 Pro II because their research says that portable DAPs are used mostly together with IEMs including sensitives ones. With too much power, the sensitive ones start hissing. If you want high power to drive Susvara or whatever, I believe a dedicated AMP is more suited.

Anyways I’m not saying this DAP is not worth buying. I personally feel that it is more of the same that came out in the last years. For a person buying his first DAP, any DAP here including this one would be a good choice. But a lot of people in this hobby already have DAPs eh so why buy another one that doesn’t offer too much new ?

Anyways I’ll leave you guys to it since I personally am not interested in the M15s for all the reasons I mentioned.

I will wait to see a full review and comparison of this M15s against the Hiby R6 Pro II.

Apr 5, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #72 of 944
I will wait to see a full review and comparison of this M15s against the Hiby R6 Pro II.
Unfortunately, the M15s has no chance when we talk about using it on the road. this is obvious even without tests, HiBy has long published a photo of its amplifying part, in combination with top-end dacs, this leaves no chance for the M15S to win. especially when the price is 250$ lower. It is clear that the sound is a very capricious thing, and everything needs to be checked personally, but no techniques will save against top-end strapping.
M15S is interesting, but not for its price. it's worth waiting until FiiO releases DAP developed from scratch, with new components and a new design.

Apr 5, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #74 of 944
Unfortunately, the M15s has no chance when we talk about using it on the road. this is obvious even without tests, HiBy has long published a photo of its amplifying part, in combination with top-end dacs, this leaves no chance for the M15S to win. especially when the price is 250$ lower. It is clear that the sound is a very capricious thing, and everything needs to be checked personally, but no techniques will save against top-end strapping.
M15S is interesting, but not for its price. it's worth waiting until FiiO releases DAP developed from scratch, with new components and a new design.
I think it depends on your actual necessities. I'm looking for certain characteristics on my next DAP:

Longevity(I'm a logistics engineer, due to the nature of my job I travel -A LOT-. I don't want to deal with broken buttons, screen problems or battery issues on the short term)

Sound quality(Most DAPs sound the same. What really matters are the iems/headphones you're using)

Updating support(Even if I don't stream, it'll be nice to have access to different apps later in the future)

I listen to enjoy the music, not analyze the device. I don't care if it comes with an old DAC chip as long as it sounds good paired with the rest of my gear.

I'm not saying I'll get this one over the other, but it'll be wise to wait for the reviews and ratings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back