FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Apr 6, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #3,571 of 4,083
Right, it is a bit technical for most of us but it is still an opinion. At the beginning he even says that for high end dacs it doesn't matter. M15 is supposed to have one of the highest end daca in portable category. And for the others, since they are not high end i doubt they are capable to have better sound after upsampling.

Apr 6, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #3,572 of 4,083
From what I understand, informations are the same (aka: doesn't invent new things) but oversampling makes the job of reconstruction filters easier (aka: limit artefacts) and move the noise to the inaudible part of the spectrum (aka: above 15 or 20KHz or more depanding the sample rate), although I think it should already be almost inaudible in 24bits samples but, meh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Of course, all of this had to be taken with grain of salt but maybe it's not just marketing.

I'm pretty sure that delta-sigma DACs are oversampling internally as well, so a complete understanding is rather difficult (and over my head)... :sunglasses:

Apr 6, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #3,573 of 4,083
He says it doesn't matter with high-end DACs as they have enough computing power to get this job done right (as almost all DACs DOES oversampling up to their capacity limit internally). But he advises doing the up-sampling manually with good PC software if a low end DAC is used as it will hardly do the job and add artifacts in the process.

Edit:
I'm pretty sure that delta-sigma DACs are oversampling internally as well, so a complete understanding is rather difficult (and over my head)... :sunglasses:
Yep, you posted just before I answered 😊

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #3,574 of 4,083
F15 owners: Does it make sense to buy the M15 today? I would like to get a TOTL Android DAP, and am considering M15 or DX300. Thank you

Apr 6, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #3,575 of 4,083
Apr 6, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #3,576 of 4,083
F15 owners: Does it make sense to buy the M15 today? I would like to get a TOTL Android DAP, and am considering M15 or DX300. Thank you
Tough there are new units being released shortly, although depends if you want an AKM chip verse ESS chip. I personally like AKM chips over ESS and AKM fire has put them out of commission for a while.

Apr 6, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #3,577 of 4,083
I think unless you want the M17, the M15 is still worth having because of its 4499 chip. Sounds better than Sabre dacs.

Apr 17, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #3,580 of 4,083
MQA review?
Saw this just now, some of you may find this of interest....

This is a lot of misinformation,but if you or other enjoy it enjoy,no reputable audio forum owner would endorse this except MAYBE SBAF, in other words I drive cars not design them so why would I try to debunk them if I have no expertise.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #3,581 of 4,083
This is a lot of misinformation,but if you or other enjoy it enjoy,no reputable audio forum owner would endorse this except MAYBE SBAF, in other words I drive cars not design them so why would I try to debunk them if I have no expertise.
It’s not misinformation but it is evidence that MQA should not be a feature tha makes or breaks a purchasing decision on a product.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #3,582 of 4,083
It’s not misinformation but it is evidence that MQA should not be a feature tha makes or breaks a purchasing decision on a product.
So you should not buy a DAP that has features you like and only by a DAP that lacks certain features? I would agree that it is not good if MQA is forced upon us or reduces our choices. One of the features I enjoy most about my M15 is the ability to decode MQA.

Apr 21, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #3,583 of 4,083
I've repurchased the M15, lucky to find a unit, but I've noticed a few issues over my Stellia that I didn't have before:
-Light static in the background on the left (it's not a black background anymore)
-The volume knob makes the music pulse in and out sometimes when turning in a systematic way - like a voice speaking through a slow fan.
-The over ear headphone mode is not really opening up the Stellia's abilities like it did the previous.
-I noticed the 4.4 connector is far from centred.

I've considered doing a factory reset, but I doubt that'll fix what's going on here. At the same time, I know this isn't in production anymore to use my warranty. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Apr 24, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #3,585 of 4,083
After getting a sony wm1a at a good price, my m15 is just busy doing nothing.
My thought is to either get used to Fiio numerous issues or buy a real dap.
How is the SQ of M15 vs. WM1A. I got WM1A and was considering “upgrading” to M15.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back