FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Apr 25, 2021 at 3:16 AM Post #3,586 of 4,083
As usual it is a matter of taste, but I modded the wm1a firmware, go to the sony walkman custom firmware huge thread here on head fi and read what people say. Take the custom firmware from @MrWalkman website and judge for yourself. For me, sound wise there is no contest, wm1a is just fantastic, fuller, punchier. Even on bluetooth receiver mode is very good. If you use it as dac with an android device, you'll get first unfold with MQA tracks if they are played by uapp.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #3,587 of 4,083
Sorry for the noob question, but can the M15 bypass the android resampling for all the apps?

Apr 25, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #3,588 of 4,083
Sorry for the noob question, but can the M15 bypass the android resampling for all the apps?
If the app itself does not have its own decoding library, the output will not be resampling.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 26, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #3,589 of 4,083
Thanks, I use Amazon Music HD, can i listen the music in high definition over 24/48 or not?

Apr 26, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #3,590 of 4,083
Thanks, I use Amazon Music HD, can i listen the music in high definition over 24/48 or not?

UltraHD Amazon will play at it's full capabilities (which is 24/192) on the M11/M11pro/M15. Tidal and Qobuz also work correctly in high resolution.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #3,591 of 4,083
Good morning all,

I just got the Fiio M15 a few days ago, it was supposed to replace a Fiio X5III and a Hiby R6. This M15 is the best example that the sum of the best components does not do everything. All the responsiveness and the screens are worse than my Hiby R6. It's a disaster, there is no ventilation, no space, a false width and no depth, the sound is metallic and aggressive, there is not the class of a high-end sound . Impossible to listen to it for more than 20 minutes, listening is done with a Denon AH-D9200, the observation is less worse with my Beyerdynamic Xelento, but it remains unworthy of a player at 1400 €.

The Hybi R6 doesn't have as much bass but it presents the music better, it's more realistic.

On the Fiio the medium is projected, and in addition to being cold it is metallic, garish.

I suspect that the result would not be so catastrophic with my Meze Empyrean, but it is not planned for the ride

Google Translate

Apr 27, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #3,592 of 4,083
Good morning all,

I just got the Fiio M15 a few days ago, it was supposed to replace a Fiio X5III and a Hiby R6. This M15 is the best example that the sum of the best components does not do everything. All the responsiveness and the screens are worse than my Hiby R6. It's a disaster, there is no ventilation, no space, a false width and no depth, the sound is metallic and aggressive, there is not the class of a high-end sound . Impossible to listen to it for more than 20 minutes, listening is done with a Denon AH-D9200, the observation is less worse with my Beyerdynamic Xelento, but it remains unworthy of a player at 1400 €.

The Hybi R6 doesn't have as much bass but it presents the music better, it's more realistic.

On the Fiio the medium is projected, and in addition to being cold it is metallic, garish.

I suspect that the result would not be so catastrophic with my Meze Empyrean, but it is not planned for the ride

Google Translate
I hope that a bit of burnin can solve the situation, also because I also bought it and I'm waiting for it to arrive to compare it with my Max (even if I know how to be on another level ... but I hope not too much) finger crossing.
Out of curiosity which firmware had pre-installed yours?

Apr 27, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #3,593 of 4,083
Good morning all,

Google Translate

Interesting. I do not have that same impression. I have my FiiO M15 now for over a year and primarily use it with my Denon AH-D9200... And I find them to be an excellent match. Yes, the combination is bright because both products are on the clear side, but by no means metallic or harsh. Adding an OFC cable such as the Forza Audioworks Noir HPC Mk2 or HPC Claire softens the overall presentation somewhat and the M15 definitely benefits by a 200h burn-in.. Tastes vary, some prefer a tight and clear presentation, others prefer warm and dark. But catastrophic is definitely not what comes to my mind when listening to this combo

Note: I performed the burn-in with the 2.5mm burn-in adapter that came with my old iBasso Dx220. I can wholeheartedly recommend following that procedure as the M15 really opens up with that.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #3,594 of 4,083
I hope that a bit of burnin can solve the situation, also because I also bought it and I'm waiting for it to arrive to compare it with my Max (even if I know how to be on another level ... but I hope not too much) finger crossing.
Out of curiosity which firmware had pre-installed yours?
Mine with the latest firmware, it's a second hand, it already has a few hours of operation, but the restitution is acidic, it would be necessary to play with the equalization but from my point of view, it is to refine, it is very raid from the start. I like the ample and natural sound, I don't like the false definition by emphasizing the highs.

It must appeal to a lot of people, but I see that it does not work with my headphones, the sound is poor.

I have an AKG 702 lying around but I won't even try, I don't want to bleed from my ears

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #3,595 of 4,083
Interesting. I do not have that same impression. I have my FiiO M15 now for over a year and primarily use it with my Denon AH-D9200... And I find them to be an excellent match. Yes, the combination is bright because both products are on the clear side, but by no means metallic or harsh. Adding an OFC cable such as the Forza Audioworks Noir HPC Mk2 or HPC Claire softens the overall presentation somewhat and the M15 definitely benefits by a 200h burn-in.. Tastes vary, some prefer a tight and clear presentation, others prefer warm and dark. But catastrophic is definitely not what comes to my mind when listening to this combo

Note: I performed the burn-in with the 2.5mm burn-in adapter that came with my old iBasso Dx220. I can wholeheartedly recommend following that procedure as the M15 really opens up with that.
I find the reproduction too clear with the Denon 9200, very difficult to listen to at a high level. I also think that a copper cable would improve the result, I am with the stock cable

Apr 27, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #3,596 of 4,083
the only thing that baffles me is that in your opinion it is not even at the level of the old R6... the situation would be very worrying ...

Apr 27, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #3,597 of 4,083
I find the reproduction too clear with the Denon 9200, very difficult to listen to at a high level. I also think that a copper cable would improve the result, I am with the stock cable
Th D9200 stock 3.5mm cable is known to be inferior.. Even the D7200 cable is better... And even the $49 entry level Meze 99 balanced OFC cable (killer deal) gives a good improvement on those.. 😊

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #3,598 of 4,083
Apr 27, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #3,599 of 4,083
thumbnail_IMG_0981.jpg

Apr 27, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #3,600 of 4,083
is is not only the sound that is not worth the price, it is also the other features, smart features as they are called now. For which we paid but didn't actually get, poor screen, poor hardware, slow responsiveness, huge battery having equal cycle as smartphones with half power and so on. The only part they got right is the amping. It has no match in portable category and it can replace many desktop setups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back