FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Apr 27, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #3,601 of 4,083
is is not only the sound that is not worth the price, it is also the other features, smart features as they are called now. For which we paid but didn't actually get, poor screen, poor hardware, slow responsiveness, huge battery having equal cycle as smartphones with half power and so on. The only part they got right is the amping. It has no match in portable category and it can replace many desktop setups.
Mine works just fine, the only issue I have is that Android sucks with no Good Music Players, and it doesn’t support Apple Music. However I think it still works great as my go to for everything, makes my HD820 sound good and also runs my Auteurs just fine. Now I’ve tried a R6 and a DX300 recently and neither make my headphones sound as enjoyable as the M15.

Apr 27, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #3,602 of 4,083
Apr 27, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #3,603 of 4,083
is is not only the sound that is not worth the price, it is also the other features, smart features as they are called now. For which we paid but didn't actually get, poor screen, poor hardware, slow responsiveness, huge battery having equal cycle as smartphones with half power and so on. The only part they got right is the amping. It has no match in portable category and it can replace many desktop setups.
There has been ample explanation in this thread as to why the battery life of the M15 cannot be compared with a smartphone. That's comparing apples & pears..

A smartphone does not have the same internal architecture. A Dual-DAC Dual-Mono Balanced Amp setup such as the M15's setup uses much more juice than a regular bog-standard entry-level DAC and single amp setup that is only capable of driving high sensitive low impedance cans. The M15 puts out 800mw over the balanced output. No way a simple smartphone can handle that. Even the illustrious LG V series with Quad-Dac do not put out more than 200-300mw

Honestly, the only scenario in which you can compare the battery life of the M15 with a smartphone is with Bluetooth headphones, which effectively disables the internal amp. And that's when the M15 runs circles around even my Note 20 Ultra in terms of battery life...

It appears to me that you simply don't want to appreciate the M15 for what it delivers in terms of its core functionality.. Which is producing audio quality at its best possible performance driving difficult headphones that require a lot of current. In that, even two years down the road, it succeeds magnificently. If I need smart features, I will take my smartphone.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #3,604 of 4,083
Yes, it was a commercial success, no doubt about it. Still, they advertised it as a big shot smart device delivering high quality sound. Smart features are slow and were deprecated from start due to the obsolete hardware, yet you paid for them. As for the battery life, i think we can compare it with smartphones having more powerful cpu, more consuming bigger size and resolution screen, phone features and so on. Nevermind though, as long as you like it. Mine is sitting since I bought a sony wm1a.

Apr 28, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #3,605 of 4,083
Yes, it was a commercial success, no doubt about it. Still, they advertised it as a big shot smart device delivering high quality sound. Smart features are slow and were deprecated from start due to the obsolete hardware, yet you paid for them. As for the battery life, i think we can compare it with smartphones having more powerful cpu, more consuming bigger size and resolution screen, phone features and so on. Nevermind though, as long as you like it. Mine is sitting since I bought a sony wm1a.
Yes, but the fact that the wm1a does nothing other than make you listen to the music at the same price do you not say anything?
The Fiio would be obsolete compared to the wm1a... then the world is beautiful because it is varied, everyone has their own.
And don't tell me it sounds better because I have heard from people here on the forum that they sold their wm1z (the big brother) because the LP W2 sounded better.
At most they sound warmer than the Fiio but not everyone cares, others like me prefer precision to the warm otherwise I would have stayed with the Max which as a tonality everyone agrees.

Apr 28, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #3,606 of 4,083
what I notice is that with all my headphones, the vocals lack precision, weight, texture. On the M15 the sound is very airy, the medium is coated, so much so that the words are more intelligible on the Hiby R6. The seriousness so much peblicité on the M15 is demonstrative in the sub-serious but again I find it more impactful on the R6 which however goes less low, I find it drier.
I wonder if the rendering of ESS DACs is not the one for me.
I also read about the break-in of the M15 which would take a long time to see.
In my search for a high end DAP the M15 doesn't answer this, and I don't think changing the cable on my Denon 9200 will change anything.
Worse than that I'm not even sure the Hiby R8 suits me because it also contains AKM DACs.
Some people have changed their M15 for a 2020 R6 who knows why .....

Apr 28, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #3,607 of 4,083
what I notice is that with all my headphones, the vocals lack precision, weight, texture. On the M15 the sound is very airy, the medium is coated, so much so that the words are more intelligible on the Hiby R6. The seriousness so much peblicité on the M15 is demonstrative in the sub-serious but again I find it more impactful on the R6 which however goes less low, I find it drier.
I wonder if the rendering of ESS DACs is not the one for me.
I also read about the break-in of the M15 which would take a long time to see.
In my search for a high end DAP the M15 doesn't answer this, and I don't think changing the cable on my Denon 9200 will change anything.
Worse than that I'm not even sure the Hiby R8 suits me because it also contains AKM DACs.
Some people have changed their M15 for a 2020 R6 who knows why .....
For that matter ... many have changed their DX220 Max to take the new DX300 ... only to realize they were wrong... and a lot as well. The new always attracts, but sometimes it is not always better of what there is (if you know how to choose). The reason that prompted me to get the Fiio M15 is above all the fact that it simply has the best dac ever made by AK (even the R8 hasn't it) and I think that after what happened to their factory it will not be so easy to have another 4499 anytime soon. In fact, the next outgoing dap of the Fiio M11Plus will have the 4497 and not even for all the batches, then they will pass to the ESS by the same admission of the Fiio. But the thing that puzzles me most is the fact that you say you hear the voices badly on the M15... while for everyone it is a voice monster. Since you bought it second-hand I would advise you to update it to the latest firmware version 1.04 and then proceed immediately after to a nice factory reset and just restarted to uninstall all the apps you do not need, such as Chrome, Youtube and all the apps that even if installed, in my view, have no sense of existing on a dap of this type ... for those apps there are smartphones that consume less and are faster. Instead if you want a new dap with ess, sell it also because it's still worth a lot. With what it's worth used you buy when you want a new 2020 R6.

Apr 28, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #3,608 of 4,083
For that matter ... many have changed their DX220 Max to take the new DX300 ... only to realize they were wrong... and a lot as well
Which aligns with the fact that switching from DX220 /Max to Dx300 means switching from ESS DAC to Cirrus DAC.. Which also have different sound signatures... The Cirrus I think is somewhere between ESS and AKM. I personally like the Cirrus and AKM DACs a little bit more than the ESS DACs... But that's as always a matter of taste..

Apr 28, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #3,609 of 4,083
I read somewhere that the "over the ear" mode should not be activated with very sensitive iems, so for example I could not use it with the IT07 (19 ohm) is that so?
Could they be damaged? If yes then, what is the limit in ohms to be able to use this function?
Thank you.

Apr 28, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #3,610 of 4,083
I read somewhere that the "over the ear" mode should not be activated with very sensitive iems, so for example I could not use it with the IT07 (19 ohm) is that so?
Could they be damaged? If yes then, what is the limit in ohms to be able to use this function?
Thank you.
You will not damage them I'm sure. Just make sure you turn down the volume before you do. But since it's mostly a gain setting, it is indeed primarily meant for the more difficult to drive headphones. Other than that, it simply is all about your personal taste. Just listen to it and determine for yourself what it brings you ...

Apr 30, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #3,611 of 4,083
Good morning all,

I just got the Fiio M15 a few days ago, it was supposed to replace a Fiio X5III and a Hiby R6. This M15 is the best example that the sum of the best components does not do everything. All the responsiveness and the screens are worse than my Hiby R6. It's a disaster, there is no ventilation, no space, a false width and no depth, the sound is metallic and aggressive, there is not the class of a high-end sound . Impossible to listen to it for more than 20 minutes, listening is done with a Denon AH-D9200, the observation is less worse with my Beyerdynamic Xelento, but it remains unworthy of a player at 1400 €.

The Hybi R6 doesn't have as much bass but it presents the music better, it's more realistic.

On the Fiio the medium is projected, and in addition to being cold it is metallic, garish.

I suspect that the result would not be so catastrophic with my Meze Empyrean, but it is not planned for the ride

Google Translate
I haven't listened to my FiiO M15 in a couple of months (been busy jamming with my Sonica speaker)... What I do know is after using my focal Utopia, Stellia and Elegia. I actually was blown away by the sound of my Denon AH-D5200... They are the best pairing that I've heard so far... Sometimes you can have the best of the best but they just don't go together...:L3000:

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #3,612 of 4,083
It should arrive in days... hopefully good for the screen...
The only thing I didn't understand is if, with the latest firmware (1.04), the playstore is already installed or you always have to install that patch and then have it authorized on that site...

May 6, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #3,613 of 4,083
It should arrive in days... hopefully good for the screen...
The only thing I didn't understand is if, with the latest firmware (1.04), the playstore is already installed or you always have to install that patch and then have it authorized on that site...
Dear friend,

The Play store has been installed if you are using the latest version.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 8, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #3,614 of 4,083
Arrived and it's beautiful, better than I imagined, very similar to the M6 but with much more power. The only problem is that with the cover of the ddhifi (the only one that is now) it remains a little off and it becomes difficult to activate the drop-down menu at the top. I hope that by being inside it widens a little and that it slides better inside. It must be said that the positive side of this cover is that it keeps it a little off the table by increasing the cooling. For now nothing to say, indeed no ... that's what I was looking for.

May 8, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #3,615 of 4,083
The only thing I still haven't figured out is whether with the output 3.5 both AK are used or not. If so, you could burnin even without using the balanced output. Thank you
P.S. with the FD5 it already sounds great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back