FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
May 3, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #2,086 of 4,083
Yeah I had to ask if there was one available when I was not prompt for it online either.
To get a brochure of what they cover/ their terms of service, you'd have to give Comerco an email. https://www.electronicsforless.ca/helpdesk/215118-Comerco-Extended-Service-Plan
I got mine but based on what I read it seems like standard TOS you'd get with any extended warranty with Best Buy or Staples. (I used to be an employee at Best Buy and know the TOS pretty well).
The rep, Josh, stated "available at 3 years for $199 or 2 years for $149."
This comes into play AFTER the manufacturer's warranty. So for $199.99 you get a total of 4 years of protection.

Issues:
  1. Comerco may, at its sole discretion, decide to replace a product rather than repair it. (In conjunction with point 2)
  2. Please note that, if the price of the replacement product is less than the price of the original product, the difference will not be refunded. (SUPER sketch as they can replace it with ANY random DAP. There is no detail on guaranteeing that they will try to replace your item w/ spec for spec.)
  3. Repair or replace peripheral items such as a remote control, keyboard, mouse, speakers, 3D viewing glasses and/or external hard drives given with the product, if a covered failure occurs. The coverage period for peripheral items begins at the expiration of the manufacturer’s warranty for this accessory and expires at the end of the Protection Plan’s period of coverage. Replacement will be limited to one (1) for the length of the Plan. The replacement will terminate the coverage offered for these items. (So if your cable ends up dying out, can't replace every time it happens. Only Once. Kind of annoying)

Best Buy's replacement warranty gives the consumer a replacement item that is similar in spec or if they cannot find it, the full money back (what we paid for) if they cannot fix it.
This is why I'm on the fence about it, I mean $66.67 per year for 3 years isn't too terrible considering $2000.00 DAP but all the parts+labour inside will end up costing more than the DAP itself.

Decisions, decisions...

edit: added my issues with Comerco's TOS.
I wonder how much repairs would be if you need to pay out of pocket. Would the insurance cover if you drop it?

May 3, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #2,087 of 4,083
I wonder how much repairs would be if you need to pay out of pocket. Would the insurance cover if you drop it?

Nah they won't cover that. It does state that it is 10% off any services and parts so I assume that covers drops.
I don't plan on dropping it but I'm more so worried about failure of parts cause that is a bit less out of my control.

May 3, 2020 at 10:09 PM Post #2,088 of 4,083
Nah they won't cover that. It does state that it is 10% off any services and parts so I assume that covers drops.
I don't plan on dropping it but I'm more so worried about failure of parts cause that is a bit less out of my control.
By that time there will be newer better faster does more daps out in the market. Why all the energy put in what ifs.

May 4, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #2,090 of 4,083
You were right a phone call was the way to go, they are working from home.
They are going to contact me when they have some m15 units available and then I will trade mine for a new one, instead of sending it away for repair and being without for ages.

Did you decide about the extra coverage?

May 4, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #2,091 of 4,083
You were right a phone call was the way to go, they are working from home.
They are going to contact me when they have some m15 units available and then I will trade mine for a new one, instead of sending it away for repair and being without for ages.

Did you decide about the extra coverage?

Yeah I decided to get the 2 year for $149. They told me that it's an additional $50 if I don't buy it within the next 90 days as it needs to be placed within the time of purchase.
By that time there will be newer better faster does more daps out in the market. Why all the energy put in what ifs.

I mean if this fails on me in Year 2 or 3, I'm gonna be pretty upset as it's roughly about $2000.00 CAD.
If I drop it, it'd be MY fault and I don't mind paying the extra money because I screwed up.
If this fails on me 2-3 years in and I didn't get the warranty, I'm not very KEEN on spending another $2000.00 on a replacement.

May 4, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #2,092 of 4,083
I don't now if this is available in all countries, but a lot of US credit cards from the larger brands like Citi or Chase offers extended warranty as a card benefit. I've used this twice from Citi bank and all it takes is a repair quote from the manufacturer and you get the reimbursement as a statement credit in a couple weeks. They don't care if you decide to repair or use the funds towards another purchase. My 2 instances were for an Apple watch and a Nikon camera. In both cases the quoted repair was >50% of value so I purchased upgrades but successfully repaired the Apple watch myself and sold it while my attempt with the camera didn't go as well LOL.

What I'm basically saying is if your warranty service allows, get reimbursed and also check to see if you can repair yourself by getting the parts. You may actually end up ahead like I did with watch. I think I netted $50 and got an upgrade at the same time.

May 4, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #2,093 of 4,083
I don't now if this is available in all countries, but a lot of US credit cards from the larger brands like Citi or Chase offers extended warranty as a card benefit. I've used this twice from Citi bank and all it takes is a repair quote from the manufacturer and you get the reimbursement as a statement credit in a couple weeks. They don't care if you decide to repair or use the funds towards another purchase. My 2 instances were for an Apple watch and a Nikon camera. In both cases the quoted repair was >50% of value so I purchased upgrades but successfully repaired the Apple watch myself and sold it while my attempt with the camera didn't go as well LOL.

What I'm basically saying is if your warranty service allows, get reimbursed and also check to see if you can repair yourself by getting the parts. You may actually end up ahead like I did with watch. I think I netted $50 and got an upgrade at the same time.
Oh your right, thanks for pointing that out, a lot of Canadian cards extend by one year at least.
I would hope that after 2 years any components that will fail in the next few years would have failed already.

May 4, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #2,094 of 4,083
Oh your right, thanks for pointing that out, a lot of Canadian cards extend by one year at least.
I would hope that after 2 years any components that will fail in the next few years would have failed already.

I totally forgot I had the extended on my credit card. I have to reread my TOS on my credit card for additional warranty. $150 for an extra 3rd year seems steep but gives me peace of mind for a year on the 3rd year.

May 4, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #2,096 of 4,083
I'm wondering the same thin. Or how it compares to Ibasso DX220 with amp8 ex. I can have Fidelizer upgrade a dx228 or buy a M15 and have him upgrade that.
I don't have amp8 ex but regular amp8.

May 5, 2020 at 2:59 AM Post #2,097 of 4,083
The 4.4mm jack on my M15 has stopped working. I get silence when I plug my headphones into it, but the 3.5 and 2.5 both work fine.
I have tried different headphones and different cables with the 4.4

Anyone have any idea? Or probably just a hardware failure? I’ve been trying to contact fiio or my dealer but haven’t heard back.

@FiiO is support@fiio.com the right email?
Hi,

Yes, I checked our email system and we have replied your email. Please check whether it was marked as spam?

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 5, 2020 at 3:07 AM Post #2,098 of 4,083
Part III Precaution warning: M15 born for audiophiles

If you are not an audiophile, you had better not to take the M15 home. We are really serious. Just let me give you an example, even though it is not so relevant about this topic. For a Ferrari born for the race track, even if it is extremely expensive, but its high fuel consumption, hard and low underpan depend that it is not suitable for commonly using. Because Ferrari's target users are those who like to race on the track.

8e5f2fefgy1ge4y8pygdgj21hc0u0tmb.jpg

Similarly, the M15 is designed for those audiophiles who pursues the ultimate sound quality, because only they are willing to pay a high price to buy a product that is more expensive, heavier, and has more heat than ordinary players.

Behind the M15, there are many interesting stories.

A normal company would not like to promote and advertise blindly, calling on consumers who are not its target users to buy their own products. Because the consequences of this are that not only can you make no money, but it will also lead to many bad reviews and negative spreads to the company and products. In this way, companies may have to spend ten times or even more the cost to eliminate these negative effects.

You can take a look at Figure 2 and Figure 3 to see how high the power is of the M15. Two AK4499 DAC chips consume much more power than that of other DAC chips. Although we have made a lot of efforts in heat dissipation, it will still cause much heat than the M11 Pro.

The power consumption of 1 AK4499 ≈ 2 AK4497 ≈ 4 AK4490 ≈ 40 AK4376. This shows how high is the M15’s power consumption. (Figure 2)

8e5f2fefgy1ge4y8yg1oej21hc0u0b2b.jpg

The output power of the M15 at 300 ohms ≈ 3 times the same load as the M11 Pro. (Figure 3)

1588469675005-997d4d7ac326e407.png

Below is the most complicated heat dissipation craftsmanship we adopted on the M15 among Chinese players. For the first level, we used graphene material to pass its internal heat to the aluminum frame. (Figure 4)

1588469680594-11e05540b53cb9ae.png

For the second level, the heat of the AK4499 chip is transferred through thermal conductive silicone to the copper shield with good thermal conductivity. (Figure 5)

1588469687051-488b9050cc74c9c3.png

With great efforts of engineers, the M15’s heat dissipation capacity has been significantly improved. (Figure 6)
1588469692917-a6cf4bc0b119fe55.png

It is reasonable for consumers to expect that manufacturers can do better in power consumption and heat dissipation. Therefore, in the part that does not affect the sound quality, we chose the Exynos7872 SoC which has low power consumption yet strong performance. It is the most excellent chip far ahead than that among all Chinese players currently.

Moreover, it should also be noted that the comparison between heat generation and power consumption must be under the same premise. In other words, only if two players have similar output power and configuration can the power consumption comparison be meaningful.

On the contrary, if we compare the M7 with low output power and a very power-saving DAC chip with the M15 in terms of the battery life and heat generation, it is definitely the M7 will gain the upper hand.

Furthermore, the M15 is indeed the hottest one in FiiO's player product line. When compared with similar products of other brands, the M15 is still better at power consumption and heat generation control.

Lastly, I would like to remind you that any object that can generate heat, even if the heat generation value is small, would rise in temperature if being put in a well-sealed environment. Therefore, when you use electronic products, especially HIFI players with obvious heat generation, you must be careful not to use them in the bed or an inclosed leather bag for a long time.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 5, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #2,099 of 4,083
Part III Precaution warning: M15 born for audiophiles

If you are not an audiophile, you had better not to take the M15 home. We are really serious. Just let me give you an example, even though it is not so relevant about this topic. For a Ferrari born for the race track, even if it is extremely expensive, but its high fuel consumption, hard and low underpan depend that it is not suitable for commonly using. Because Ferrari's target users are those who like to race on the track.

8e5f2fefgy1ge4y8pygdgj21hc0u0tmb.jpg

Similarly, the M15 is designed for those audiophiles who pursues the ultimate sound quality, because only they are willing to pay a high price to buy a product that is more expensive, heavier, and has more heat than ordinary players.

Behind the M15, there are many interesting stories.

A normal company would not like to promote and advertise blindly, calling on consumers who are not its target users to buy their own products. Because the consequences of this are that not only can you make no money, but it will also lead to many bad reviews and negative spreads to the company and products. In this way, companies may have to spend ten times or even more the cost to eliminate these negative effects.

You can take a look at Figure 2 and Figure 3 to see how high the power is of the M15. Two AK4499 DAC chips consume much more power than that of other DAC chips. Although we have made a lot of efforts in heat dissipation, it will still cause much heat than the M11 Pro.

The power consumption of 1 AK4499 ≈ 2 AK4497 ≈ 4 AK4490 ≈ 40 AK4376. This shows how high is the M15’s power consumption. (Figure 2)

8e5f2fefgy1ge4y8yg1oej21hc0u0b2b.jpg

The output power of the M15 at 300 ohms ≈ 3 times the same load as the M11 Pro. (Figure 3)

1588469675005-997d4d7ac326e407.png

Below is the most complicated heat dissipation craftsmanship we adopted on the M15 among Chinese players. For the first level, we used graphene material to pass its internal heat to the aluminum frame. (Figure 4)

1588469680594-11e05540b53cb9ae.png

For the second level, the heat of the AK4499 chip is transferred through thermal conductive silicone to the copper shield with good thermal conductivity. (Figure 5)

1588469687051-488b9050cc74c9c3.png

With great efforts of engineers, the M15’s heat dissipation capacity has been significantly improved. (Figure 6)
1588469692917-a6cf4bc0b119fe55.png

It is reasonable for consumers to expect that manufacturers can do better in power consumption and heat dissipation. Therefore, in the part that does not affect the sound quality, we chose the Exynos7872 SoC which has low power consumption yet strong performance. It is the most excellent chip far ahead than that among all Chinese players currently.

Moreover, it should also be noted that the comparison between heat generation and power consumption must be under the same premise. In other words, only if two players have similar output power and configuration can the power consumption comparison be meaningful.

On the contrary, if we compare the M7 with low output power and a very power-saving DAC chip with the M15 in terms of the battery life and heat generation, it is definitely the M7 will gain the upper hand.

Furthermore, the M15 is indeed the hottest one in FiiO's player product line. When compared with similar products of other brands, the M15 is still better at power consumption and heat generation control.

Lastly, I would like to remind you that any object that can generate heat, even if the heat generation value is small, would rise in temperature if being put in a well-sealed environment. Therefore, when you use electronic products, especially HIFI players with obvious heat generation, you must be careful not to use them in the bed or an inclosed leather bag for a long time.
Thx a lot again, im impressed of the work behind m15. Im happier everyday and use it no less than 2 hours a day hehe.

May 5, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #2,100 of 4,083
If you buy a Ferrari , you have the best of what can be done in the market , with engine made by Ferrari, not by other manufacturer.
They won't put inside an old engine from 2 decades ago , parts that aren't used and relevant anymore ... and sell it at the same price that the brand new Huracàn ...

What parts FiiO make in their devices ? SoC ? DAC ? Amp? Screen ?

What are the audio differences ,that you can actually hear, between a AK4499 and AK4497 ? AK4490 ?
Is all that power really needed in portable situation ?

How can a SoC affect sound quality ?
How can a 14 nm SoC can be better than a 7 nm regarding power consumption with better Wifi / Bluetooth / RAM handling ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back