FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
May 6, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #2,116 of 4,083
You get the replacement from FiiO and not EFLC?
From the distributor when they are in Canada. EFLC was going to do it the same way, but I was impressed how concerned Fiio was that my dealer was not providing the service they were expected to and offered to pay for my shipping to China or allow me to wait and exchange when more M15s arrived in Canada.

Once my email exchange with them started, the replays were very fast.

May 6, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #2,117 of 4,083
From the distributor when they are in Canada. EFLC was going to do it the same way, but I was impressed how concerned Fiio was that my dealer was not providing the service they were expected to and offered to pay for my shipping to China or allow me to wait and exchange when more M15s arrived in Canada.

Once my email exchange with them started, the replays were very fast.

This is great to hear. I am still waiting for my M15 from EFLC, been over a month. They stated it should arrive today but no tracking number and nothing so far.
Here is hoping!

I contacted FiiO for a BH4 case and they were real fast about that.

May 6, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #2,119 of 4,083
So I was interested in upgrading to the M15 from M11 Pro but I have received 2 M11 Pro's (from B&H photo) with stuck pixels that did not respond to any remedy and I will be returning them. Seeing that the M15 has the same display, do these QC issues still exist? Or are these units more vetted considering the price and flagship status?

May 7, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #2,120 of 4,083
Part IV Three-in-one Flagship: Define the Ultimate Form of FiiO Portable Player in the Future

Before the M15 Launch Event, we had announced the slogan as "four flagships". At that time, many people thought that there would be four independent products. In fact, in addition to the flagship neckband sports Bluetooth cable, the other three flagships refer to the three-in-one M15-flagship player, DAC/Amp and Bluetooth receiver.
In fact, from the X3 generation, the functions of HiFi portable players have evolved very quickly. According to most commonly-used scenarios of audiophiles, we have first added functions of USB DAC, and then Bluetooth transmission and WIFI. In the past year, Bluetooth reception function has been added. The usage scenarios and functions of HIFI portable players have become more and more abundant.
However, for products like FiiO M11, M11 Pro, these functions are actually dependent on software due to the cost limited. So there are still some regrets and inadequacies. For example, the sampling rate and bit depth supported by the USB DAC function are limited, the format of Bluetooth reception is also limited, and the latency is relatively high.
Therefore, we decided to combine our extensive experience in DAC/Amp and Bluetooth receivers, as well as current popular players like the M11Pro, applying the professional XMOS chip and Qualcomm CSR8675 Bluetooth chip to the M15.
When the M15 is used as a music player, it benefits from the most powerful processor in Chinese players, third-generation FPGA algorithms, dual AK4499 DAC chip and powerful analog amplifier circuit. Thus it has amazing functions and performance.
When the M15 is used as a USB DAC, , it can support up to 768KHz/32Bit and native DSD512 decoding thanks to the addition of the XMOS chip.
When the M15 is used as a Bluetooth receiver, in addition to the CSR8675 Bluetooth chip, the DAC chip and analog amplifier circuit sections share the M15’s powerful configuration, so that it perfectly supports formats consisting of SBC/AAC/aptX/aptX LL/aptX HD/LDAC.
Under these efforts, the M15 has achieved the ultimate goal as a portable music player, portable USB DAC/Amp, and portable Bluetooth receiver at the aspects of function and performance. At the same time, it has also expressed our attitude to the market and users on the future development of players. That is, for a portable player, not only can it play native music, but also it should be a multi-scenario and multi-functional music device, achieving the ultimate goal at all aspects and be an integrated personal music collection center.
The M15 is also a very meaningful product and the world's first powerful product with such design. FiiO has summed up more than ten years of experience in portable audio devices and more than thirty years in the field of HIFI.
This is FiiO's expectation to the future and an inheritance of the past.
By the way, I would like to explain why the M15 does not support HWA format. The M15 adopts the CSR8675 chip, and our BTR3 has already supported HWA reception. So whether it is hardware or technical requirements, the M15 has no problem to HWA support.
However, some careful Huawei users may notice that since the end of last year, new versions of Huawei mobile phones do not support HWA. What would be the reason of it? In the past, it was inconvenient to discuss it for some commercial reasons. But now as many people get to know it, it would not be a secret anymore. If you are unclear, you can take a look.
1) HWA can be regarded as an alliance, and the leader was Huawei. At the beginning, a lot of brands, even some brands that had nothing to do with Bluetooth codec, hardware, software and application had been persuaded to join the alliance in order to enlarge its influence.
2) Although the leader was nominally Huawei, the real nucleus team (LHDC Bluetooth codec technology) was actually a Taiwanese company.
3) After the promotion of HWA, apart from a small amount of Chinese players supporting it at the launch end, only Huawei mobile phones were available. While the supporting receiving device was only few of Huawei’s Bluetooth IEMs which made no sense because they did not belong to HiFi field, and some Bluetooth receivers like BTR3 made by FiiO HiFi manufacturers.
From my personal point of view, it would be difficult to popularize HWA which is kind of a technical standard whose popularization absolutely relies on mobile phone manufacturers. However, those renowned phone manufacturers such as Samsung, Apple are impossible to use Huawei's standards. As for Qualcomm's aptX, it became popular because CSR has already been successfully popularized before the acquisition of Qualcomm. And LDAC, to be honest, although all Android phones support it, it is still at the end of the world. Because there are too few receiving devices support it.
4) As a high-definition and high-bit-rate Bluetooth audio codec technology, HWA has the shortest transmission distance and weak anti-interference ability under the same conditions due to its high bandwidth. So there are still many improvement spaces in user experience.
Therefore, no core technology at hand and plus the HWA was still imperfect at technology and user experience, it was no wonder that Huawei would give it up. Since the alliance leader Huawei had left it, it made no sense for us to support it.

96081626_2938020206306029_98212557596131328_o.jpg

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 8, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #2,121 of 4,083
20200508_130216.jpg

M15 vs DX220 sound impressions round 2: to the death

Part 1 here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...attery-64-gb-rom-1299-99.920276/post-15450006

Setups: M15/DX220 (with AMP8) > Symphonym Hakone > AAW Canary, both using 4.4mm output.

FiiO using Pure Music mode, iBasso using Mango mode. Don't care much for Android.

Songs tried: Various tracks from Fleetwood Mac, Macy Gray, Amber Rubarth and The Weeknd.

The FiiO has been with me for a few months and has seen at least 200 hours of usage. The sound has changed over time, from a warm, gentle and blunted to near-neutral. To me that's a huge positive. The DX220 remains neutral and precise as ever.

The iBasso still has thinner, sharper notes throughout, possessing a livelier and more in-your-face, urgent presentation. The timbre suffers here. Notes gave a metallic tinge sometimes. The M15 has a decidedly more organic slant. Notes are smoother, rounder but what improved over time is speed and dynamics. It no longer sounds sluggish, and my slight disappointment to M15's initial sound has totally faded.

DX220's bass is tighter and more textured but hollower, while M15 is more visceral and meatier, with decay fast enough so notes don't smear. It's more enjoyable for modern tracks with a driving beat. For mids, the M15 wins by a landslide because of the sweet, realistic and organic timbre, which doesn't sacrifice detail in any way. The initial softness and hesitancy is replaced by much, much improved dynamics, but maintaining the luscious vocals that I so love at first listen. This is the player for vocal lovers.

After M15 has settled in, the treble has a veil removed, and can deal with microdetail and resolution better than DX220. DX220 is brighter for sure, but M15 resolved the same amount of detail without brightening the sound, and in fact seems more effortless in doing so. On initial listen, M15 already has a larger stage with more pinpoint imaging than DX220, and this is made more apparent after settling in. DX220 sounds forward and congested compared to the wide and open head-stage of M15.

So while I didn't give a solid recommendation for the M15 at first, after prolonged usage, it's very clear to me who the winner is. When fully settled, M15 is no longer sluggish, no longer too warm, and much improved in clarity and dynamics. You no longer have to strain for details. It has a bigger, more epic and true-to-life sound than the aggressive and sometimes overwhelming DX220.

Last edited:
May 8, 2020 at 3:45 AM Post #2,122 of 4,083
No! To the pain!
Sorry, couldn’t resist.
20200508_130216.jpg

Part 1 here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...attery-64-gb-rom-1299-99.920276/post-15450006

Setups: M15/DX220 (with AMP8) > Symphonym Hakone > AAW Canary, both using 4.4mm output.

Songs tried: Various tracks from Fleetwood Mac, Macy Gray, Amber Rubarth and The Weeknd.

The FiiO has been with me for a few months and has seen at least 200 hours of usage. The sound has changed over time, from a warm, gentle and blunted to near-neutral. To me that's a huge positive. The DX220 remains neutral and precise as ever.

The iBasso still has thinner, sharper notes throughout, possessing a livelier and more in-your-face, urgent presentation. The timbre suffers here. Notes gave a metallic tinge sometimes. The M15 has a decidedly more organic slant. Notes are smoother, rounder but what improved over time is speed and dynamics. It no longer sounds sluggish, and my slight disappointment to M15's initial sound has totally faded.

DX220's bass is tighter and more textured but hollower, while M15 is more visceral and meatier, with decay fast enough so notes don't smear. It's more enjoyable for modern tracks with a driving beat. For mids, the M15 wins by a landslide because of the sweet, realistic and organic timbre, which doesn't sacrifice detail in any way. The initial softness and hesitancy is replaced by much, much improved dynamics, but maintaining the luscious vocals that I so love at first listen. This is the player for vocal lovers.

After M15 has settled in, the treble has a veil removed, and can deal with microdetail and resolution better than DX220. DX220 is brighter for sure, but M15 resolved the same amount of detail without brightening the sound, and in fact seems more effortless in doing so. On initial listen, M15 already has a larger stage with more pinpoint imaging than DX220, and this is made more apparent after settling in. DX220 sounds forward and congested compared to the wide and open head-stage of M15.

So while I didn't give a solid recommendation for the M15 at first, after prolonged usage, it's very clear to me who the winner is. When fully settled, M15 is no longer sluggish, no longer too warm, and much improved in clarity and dynamics. You no longer have to strain for details. It has a bigger, more epic and true-to-life sound than the aggressive and sometimes overwhelming DX220.
Very interesting write-up, thank you. Especially interesting to read about the changes your DAP went through over time. Washes some interesting color over this post

Did you significantly prefer Ambar Rubarth from the M15?

May 8, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #2,125 of 4,083
@FiiO : i understand the M15 now acts as a full MQA (8x) decoder when playing via the built-in music app: does it also do the same when
1. playing via the Tidal Android app?
2. being used as an USB DAC?

- thank you in advance

As of right now my M15 doesn't play full unfold via Tidal haven't used it as a USB DAC so can't answer that one. I know they say that global MQA support for all apps not just the built in music app is coming. Just not sure when. I personally am hoping that it's sooner rather than later.

May 8, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #2,127 of 4,083
@FiiO : i understand the M15 now acts as a full MQA (8x) decoder when playing via the built-in music app: does it also do the same when
1. playing via the Tidal Android app?
2. being used as an USB DAC?

- thank you in advance
No and no. As @crazyeyes said, future firmware update will enable. At launch FiiO anticipated March for MQA support for third party apps, but the pandemic obviously put a monkey wrench in that timeline. Hopefully soon.

May 8, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #2,129 of 4,083
Does anyone have a dock and a TPU case? I ordered the dock (in the photos above) and I wanted to order one of the TPU cases, but as the TPU case looks quite thick in the photos, I am wondering if I can use it with the dock.

May 8, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #2,130 of 4,083
Does anyone have a dock and a TPU case? I ordered the dock (in the photos above) and I wanted to order one of the TPU cases, but as the TPU case looks quite thick in the photos, I am wondering if I can use it with the dock.
I have the dock and ordered a case earlier this week and have the same concern (case was only $15 so I figured why not give it a shot). If you can hold out a couple of weeks I’ll let you know when the case arrives!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back