FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Apr 25, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #2,056 of 4,083
I don't use it in USB DAC mode too often to be honest because if I'm sitting at my desk I'll use my desktop DAC/amp. It's not easy to validate either because you can't see the battery level/charge symbol when it's in USB DAC mode. My perspective is it's not charging at all in USB DAC mode, but admittedly over ear mode, high gain and all to DSD draws a lot of power, so that might be the reason why. Perhaps @FiiO can confirm if charging while in USB DAC mode is possible.
Yeah that's fair. I was toying with the idea of replacing my desktop setup altogether with this so that I'm not restricted to my desk and can move to the couch etc. uninterrupted if I feel like it. Being able to bypass the battery and run straight off power would make this a much more attractive option but I don't think I've come across a single dap with this capability which is a shame...

Apr 25, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #2,057 of 4,083
On experiences about Cube charging habits in USB DAC mode I will come back soon on the Cube thread.

Thank you for the docking station info.

Any impressions on sound quality of M15 vs Cube, or any other aspects?
I generally stay away from describing sound because a) I'm not good at it and b) it's all subjective anyways. I've also changed over all my headphones in the time since I've sold the KANN CUBE, so I think any comparison I would make would be irrelevant.

I will say I enjoyed the sound from the KC very much, as I do the M15. What I will comment on is usability and in that regard, M15 stomps KC for my purposes.

• Size/weight/portability all in favor of M15
  • Both 2.5mm and 4.4mm balanced (2.5mm seemed kind of silly with such a massive DAP like KC. I only used it at home, but I'd be concerned going out and about with such a heavy DAP paired with a frail connector)
  • App Store capability vs. having to sideload via Open APP service (having to connect to a computer each time you wanted to update an app is an annoyance)
  • Tied to above, greater range of apps on M15 as A&K whitelists only certain apps
In favor of the KC are power (it had power to spare for all my headphones) and the 5pin mini-XLR balanced output is neat if you want to connect it to an external amp. One additional quibble with A&K in general, I purchased two A&K products (SR15 and KC) in part because Roon support for current and future generation products that was announced back in Oct 2018. It's April 2020 and it's still nowhere to be found and I see they just updated about week ago that Roon support is now on hold indefinitely. Not cool.

Apr 25, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #2,058 of 4,083
Yeah that's fair. I was toying with the idea of replacing my desktop setup altogether with this so that I'm not restricted to my desk and can move to the couch etc. uninterrupted if I feel like it. Being able to bypass the battery and run straight off power would make this a much more attractive option but I don't think I've come across a single dap with this capability which is a shame...
I had exactly the same game plan with both KC and M15, but I just kept getting the itch to get a more traditional desktop unit since most of my listening is in my office anyways. Functionality is just better to have a dedicated desktop unit, but I'd argue both units are definitely capable of being used that way and you don't lose much. I wish FiiO made an updated desktop unit like the K7 that was a desktop amp with a built in dock for X7, etc. Make one of those for M11/M15 with 2.5/4.4mm balanced outputs with ample clean power and get the best of both worlds.

Apr 25, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #2,059 of 4,083
Did NOT know that was announced! Yeah, something like the Sony Ta-Zh1es with more than just an input for the dap would be amazing!

Apr 26, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #2,060 of 4,083
I generally stay away from describing sound because a) I'm not good at it and b) it's all subjective anyways. I've also changed over all my headphones in the time since I've sold the KANN CUBE, so I think any comparison I would make would be irrelevant.

I will say I enjoyed the sound from the KC very much, as I do the M15. What I will comment on is usability and in that regard, M15 stomps KC for my purposes.

• Size/weight/portability all in favor of M15
  • Both 2.5mm and 4.4mm balanced (2.5mm seemed kind of silly with such a massive DAP like KC. I only used it at home, but I'd be concerned going out and about with such a heavy DAP paired with a frail connector)
  • App Store capability vs. having to sideload via Open APP service (having to connect to a computer each time you wanted to update an app is an annoyance)
  • Tied to above, greater range of apps on M15 as A&K whitelists only certain apps
In favor of the KC are power (it had power to spare for all my headphones) and the 5pin mini-XLR balanced output is neat if you want to connect it to an external amp. One additional quibble with A&K in general, I purchased two A&K products (SR15 and KC) in part because Roon support for current and future generation products that was announced back in Oct 2018. It's April 2020 and it's still nowhere to be found and I see they just updated about week ago that Roon support is now on hold indefinitely. Not cool.

I directly contacted and asked about the BT receive mode implementation before buying the KC (as soon as it was out, last year) and was told that it is on the list and as far as I know still not implemented. Even some simple character rendering issue I reported on SP1000 was still not fixed a year later when I bought the KC. A&K has a lot of homework to do before they can convince me to get another product of theirs.

Apr 26, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #2,061 of 4,083
I have yet to get this from my local supplier. Been delayed about a month. I wanted to try test it’s abilities as a USB DAC with my desktop w/ my little dot mk2 but at this point I might buy a fiio K5 Pro for a dedicated USB dac since the m15 can’t charge and be a USB dac at the same time from what I see.

Anyone have a dedicated USB dac to compare with this the m15?

Apr 26, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #2,062 of 4,083
I have yet to get this from my local supplier. Been delayed about a month. I wanted to try test it’s abilities as a USB DAC with my desktop w/ my little dot mk2 but at this point I might buy a fiio K5 Pro for a dedicated USB dac since the m15 can’t charge and be a USB dac at the same time from what I see.

Anyone have a dedicated USB dac to compare with this the m15?

It does charge in USB DAC mode. The option is to turn charging off for portable sources but it does not work as of now. Charging is by default.

Apr 26, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #2,063 of 4,083
It does charge in USB DAC mode. The option is to turn charging off for portable sources but it does not work as of now. Charging is by default.
Oh this is pleasant to hear. You just saved me like $500 LOL ty

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #2,065 of 4,083
I should receive mine the next week! :L3000:

Apr 29, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #2,067 of 4,083
I ordered one from B&H and it should be here Tuesday. I'm looking forward to seeing how it compares with my DX228.

Apr 29, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #2,068 of 4,083
The Story About FiiO M15----From James (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-story-about-fiio-m15-from-james.930661/)

Part II Design Goals

As the flagship model, the M15 has integrated all of our understandings of consumers and all experience of products in the audio field. Frankly speaking, we have not considered too much about how many units can be sold and how much money can be made. The following writhing would be divided into several sections introducing some of our design goals when we were making the M15 plan.
1. Extreme sound quality
The M15 is undoubtedly a flagship. Our goal is to achieve the best possible sound quality under the constraints of the size, weight, heat, and battery life of portable products. Normally, FiiO has a cost budget for each product. But for the M15, there is no cost restriction. Everything is based on sound quality. About the sound quality, details would be explained later.
2. Suitable for different scenarios
In addition to keeping the convenience brought by the battery of a portable player, we expect that the M15 can be used in more situations as it can. Therefore, our goal is to create a product suitable for multi-scenarios. The following is some of the main usage scenario introduction based on our own experience and user needs.
2.1 Easy to carry it with you wherever
Thanks to the joint efforts of ID, architecture, and electronic engineers, the M15 maintains a reasonable weight (about 300 grams), relatively good size (compared to other high-driven-capacity products), longer battery life (15 hours for single-ended). Therefore, it would be very convenient to carry it with you everywhere, such as business trip, travel, commute or school.
2.2 In-vehicle mode
Since we began to enter the player field, many users have purchased our products and used them in cars which have worse sound quality and format support. The M15 is designed with an in-vehicle mode, so users can power it with an on-board power supply, connecting it by the LO port with the car’s AUX input port. In this way, when the car is fired up, the M15 will automatically start and play the last song; when the car is off, it will automatically shut down to avoid battery exhaustion.
2.3 Listening music with M15 in the living room
In this scenario, the M15 can be used as a sound source for the HIFI system, or as a high-quality decoder, or as a HIFI Bluetooth receiver. And more convenient is that it supports FiiO link, so you can remote it thorough your mobile phone.
2.4 Use it in desk tops
In this scenario, it is more suitable for over-ear headphones considering the sound quality, i.e., it can be connected to a computer, using as a USB DAC amplifier. But it can also be independently used.
3. Full functions
This means that the M15 can achieve native playback, streaming playback, USB decoding and Bluetooth reception. Plus the Android-based system allows third-party application installation. It turns out the M15 comes with comprehensive functions.
Basically, the M15 has realized all the functions that can be done on portable players. For the rest, I am not sure whether it is a function that a portable player should have, such as sound tracks grab, 4G internet access. After all, it is a player, which should focus on players' commonly recognized functions.
In short, I think the M15 is qualified as a full-function player.
4. Multi-connections
As a product designed for audiophiles, it is very important to have complete connectors to facilitate users to expand the use of the product and enhance its playability. This is completely different from the simplicity pursuit in mass consumer electronics. It can even be conceivable that within 2 years at the latest, there will be mobile phones without connectors showing up in the market.
Therefore, we have fully considered the M15's connection capabilities, and tried our best to complete it. Here is a brief introduction.
4.1 Wireless connection
M15's wireless and wired connection capability is the strongest among all players.
Wireless connectivity capabilities include:
1) 2.4G / 5G WiFi connection, supporting DLNA, Airplay, streaming playing, WiFi song transfer;
2) The most complete Bluetooth transmitter and receiver, supporting LDAC, SBC, aptX, aptX HD, HWA (LHDC) transmission, and LDAC , SBC, aptX, aptX HD reception.
4.2 Wired connection
The M15 has a wide range of connectors, which is one of the portable players that has the most complete connectors, supporting 2.5mm balanced, 3.5mm single-ended, and 4.4mm balanced output for the analog headphone-output, 3.5mm single-ended for the line-out and 3.5mm SPDIF, TYPE C USB digital audio input and output.
5. Full driven capacity: adaptable to varieties of headphones
The M15 is mainly used with headphones. Therefore, we hope that it can be used with as many headphones as possible in all aspects and avoid bias. So there can be less worries about matching.
In our own opinion, this full driven capacity must be considered from several aspects.
5.1 Easy matching tone
The tone of the M15 has characteristics of high density, high resolution and high transparency. Besides, the whole tone is neutral and warm, so it is suitable for different styles of headphones, and has good adaptability to dynamic driver, balanced armature and hybrid headphones.
5.2 Have sufficient output power
The M15 is designed with a large output power. In addition to easily driving all IEMs, it is also featured with the over-ear mode. Under this mode, the internal amp power supply circuit will switch to a higher power supply voltage, which can also drive most high-impedance or low-sensitivity over-the-ear headphones.
5.3 Flexible connectors
The M15 has three output ports: 3.5 single-ended, 2.5 balanced, and 4.4 balanced. Except for rarely-seen headphones with XLR balanced and 6.3 single-ended, it can be easily matched with various headphone plugs.
Why do Chinese players commonly have the feature of strong driven capacity?
Since entering the post-MP3 era, Chinese players have been popular to the present. A very important reason is that they are generally strong in the aspect of driven capacity.
Many people say that it does not need such a large power to drive earplugs. However, the truth is that many IEMs with low sensitivity and high impedance cannot be driven successfully without sufficient driven power. From our market reviews of the M15, many users buy it to match with Sony’s Z1R earplugs which need a rather high driven power.
What’s more, many audiophiles would choose headphones with better sound quality when working or studying in indoor environments, like at home or in the office. And over-the-ear headphones have a higher requirement on the output power of players.
DSC_6232.jpg

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 1, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #2,069 of 4,083
The Story About FiiO M15----From James (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-story-about-fiio-m15-from-james.930661/)

Part II Design Goals

As the flagship model, the M15 has integrated all of our understandings of consumers and all experience of products in the audio field. Frankly speaking, we have not considered too much about how many units can be sold and how much money can be made. The following writhing would be divided into several sections introducing some of our design goals when we were making the M15 plan.
1. Extreme sound quality
The M15 is undoubtedly a flagship. Our goal is to achieve the best possible sound quality under the constraints of the size, weight, heat, and battery life of portable products. Normally, FiiO has a cost budget for each product. But for the M15, there is no cost restriction. Everything is based on sound quality. About the sound quality, details would be explained later.
2. Suitable for different scenarios
In addition to keeping the convenience brought by the battery of a portable player, we expect that the M15 can be used in more situations as it can. Therefore, our goal is to create a product suitable for multi-scenarios. The following is some of the main usage scenario introduction based on our own experience and user needs.
2.1 Easy to carry it with you wherever
Thanks to the joint efforts of ID, architecture, and electronic engineers, the M15 maintains a reasonable weight (about 300 grams), relatively good size (compared to other high-driven-capacity products), longer battery life (15 hours for single-ended). Therefore, it would be very convenient to carry it with you everywhere, such as business trip, travel, commute or school.
2.2 In-vehicle mode
Since we began to enter the player field, many users have purchased our products and used them in cars which have worse sound quality and format support. The M15 is designed with an in-vehicle mode, so users can power it with an on-board power supply, connecting it by the LO port with the car’s AUX input port. In this way, when the car is fired up, the M15 will automatically start and play the last song; when the car is off, it will automatically shut down to avoid battery exhaustion.
2.3 Listening music with M15 in the living room
In this scenario, the M15 can be used as a sound source for the HIFI system, or as a high-quality decoder, or as a HIFI Bluetooth receiver. And more convenient is that it supports FiiO link, so you can remote it thorough your mobile phone.
2.4 Use it in desk tops
In this scenario, it is more suitable for over-ear headphones considering the sound quality, i.e., it can be connected to a computer, using as a USB DAC amplifier. But it can also be independently used.
3. Full functions
This means that the M15 can achieve native playback, streaming playback, USB decoding and Bluetooth reception. Plus the Android-based system allows third-party application installation. It turns out the M15 comes with comprehensive functions.
Basically, the M15 has realized all the functions that can be done on portable players. For the rest, I am not sure whether it is a function that a portable player should have, such as sound tracks grab, 4G internet access. After all, it is a player, which should focus on players' commonly recognized functions.
In short, I think the M15 is qualified as a full-function player.
4. Multi-connections
As a product designed for audiophiles, it is very important to have complete connectors to facilitate users to expand the use of the product and enhance its playability. This is completely different from the simplicity pursuit in mass consumer electronics. It can even be conceivable that within 2 years at the latest, there will be mobile phones without connectors showing up in the market.
Therefore, we have fully considered the M15's connection capabilities, and tried our best to complete it. Here is a brief introduction.
4.1 Wireless connection
M15's wireless and wired connection capability is the strongest among all players.
Wireless connectivity capabilities include:
1) 2.4G / 5G WiFi connection, supporting DLNA, Airplay, streaming playing, WiFi song transfer;
2) The most complete Bluetooth transmitter and receiver, supporting LDAC, SBC, aptX, aptX HD, HWA (LHDC) transmission, and LDAC , SBC, aptX, aptX HD reception.
4.2 Wired connection
The M15 has a wide range of connectors, which is one of the portable players that has the most complete connectors, supporting 2.5mm balanced, 3.5mm single-ended, and 4.4mm balanced output for the analog headphone-output, 3.5mm single-ended for the line-out and 3.5mm SPDIF, TYPE C USB digital audio input and output.
5. Full driven capacity: adaptable to varieties of headphones
The M15 is mainly used with headphones. Therefore, we hope that it can be used with as many headphones as possible in all aspects and avoid bias. So there can be less worries about matching.
In our own opinion, this full driven capacity must be considered from several aspects.
5.1 Easy matching tone
The tone of the M15 has characteristics of high density, high resolution and high transparency. Besides, the whole tone is neutral and warm, so it is suitable for different styles of headphones, and has good adaptability to dynamic driver, balanced armature and hybrid headphones.
5.2 Have sufficient output power
The M15 is designed with a large output power. In addition to easily driving all IEMs, it is also featured with the over-ear mode. Under this mode, the internal amp power supply circuit will switch to a higher power supply voltage, which can also drive most high-impedance or low-sensitivity over-the-ear headphones.
5.3 Flexible connectors
The M15 has three output ports: 3.5 single-ended, 2.5 balanced, and 4.4 balanced. Except for rarely-seen headphones with XLR balanced and 6.3 single-ended, it can be easily matched with various headphone plugs.
Why do Chinese players commonly have the feature of strong driven capacity?
Since entering the post-MP3 era, Chinese players have been popular to the present. A very important reason is that they are generally strong in the aspect of driven capacity.
Many people say that it does not need such a large power to drive earplugs. However, the truth is that many IEMs with low sensitivity and high impedance cannot be driven successfully without sufficient driven power. From our market reviews of the M15, many users buy it to match with Sony’s Z1R earplugs which need a rather high driven power.
What’s more, many audiophiles would choose headphones with better sound quality when working or studying in indoor environments, like at home or in the office. And over-the-ear headphones have a higher requirement on the output power of players.
DSC_6232.jpg
Awesome James! I loved to read the history behind m15. Thx a lot

May 1, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #2,070 of 4,083
Are they available again on stores?
I'm picking up mine tomorrow. My guy received a shipment yesterday and I managed to get the last one. He's out of stock again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back