FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Feb 3, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #872 of 4,083
Still trying to work things out, not had a lot of play time, but I must say, things are not quite as Rosie with the FH7’s add I’d like, in some cases the Bass really is overpowering, flabby sometimes. 99% of what I listen too is higher bit rate FLAC, so quality should be pretty good. Also noticing more sibilance than before as well! Maybe it is my recordings?!? Anyway this with low gain out of the 3.5mm. EQ’ing makes big difference to the bass issue!!

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #874 of 4,083
Feb 4, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #876 of 4,083
Soon amazon will have one... and you could just ship it back more easily if its not to your taste

Feb 4, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #878 of 4,083
Soon amazon will have one... and you could just ship it back more easily if its not to your taste

I purchased mine through FiiO’s store on amazon with prime, so if I’m not satisfied it’s a hassle free return. That said I never buy anything with the intention of returning it so hopefully I enjoy this DAP.

Feb 4, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #879 of 4,083
I’ve been comparing the 4.4 balanced and 3.5 single ended with Abyss Diana Phi and a Audio Sensibility statement silver cable and I can not tell the difference.
The balanced clearly has more power but I’m only at 40% high with the SE so there is still plenty of headroom.

Edit* I do however find that balanced is much better with the VE Sun especially with headphone mode on

My mojo was moded by Fidelizer so I don’t know how different it really is... but comparing the m15 to mojo/poly using airplay tidal from my phone for both, 3.5 Abyss Diana Phi.

I found the M15 to have more bass and you can hear bass texture that you can’t hear on the Mojo/Poly.
It’s much easier to hear the difference between drums on the M15.
The Mojo/Poly has more separation between instruments.
The sound stage is similar but the M15 is more intimate I think it may be because of the bass and mids.
The Mojo/Poly definitely sounds like you are a bit further from the performers, maybe the difference of a outdoor performance and indoor... not a very good example but I keep thinking about it.

I really like bass and a more intimate sound so I prefer the M15 so far.
I preferred the Mojo/Poly over the DX200 Amp 9 and preferred amp 9 to any other.

I've been listening to
A Tribe Called Red- Self Titled album
Loreena McKennitt- “Journey So Far” album
Mythos- “Eros” album
Thank you for the Mojo/Poly comparison.

Feb 4, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #880 of 4,083
Clocking up a few hours on the M15 now and so far it continues to impress the more I listen.

Spent some time today A/B ing between the M15 and my Ifi-Audio micro idsd.

Two main things I found were that the power to drive that the Idsd has is nothing short of stunning. Using Eco/Normal mode drives everything I own to levels that barely go beyond the 50% mark. The M15 needs high gain and pushed to around 65% to really make my Senn 660's sing.
From a sound quality point of view, the idsd can't quite match the detail and refined nature of the M15. the M15 picks out detail just that little better and is more refined in the delivery of the mids. Bass is more textured on the M15, feels there are more layers of detail across the board.

My initial intention was to sell the idsd after a while however it's such a nice bit of kit and has so much power in reserve that I will keep it for connection to my imac.

Feb 4, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #881 of 4,083
Clocking up a few hours on the M15 now and so far it continues to impress the more I listen.

Two main things I found were that the power to drive that the Idsd has is nothing short of stunning. Using Eco/Normal mode drives everything I own to levels that barely go beyond the 50% mark. The M15 needs high gain and pushed to around 65% to really make my Senn 660's sing.
From a sound quality point of view, the idsd can't quite match the detail and refined nature of the M15. the M15 picks out detail just that little better and is more refined in the delivery of the mids. Bass is more textured on the M15, feels there are more layers of detail across the board.

My initial intention was to sell the idsd after a while however it's such a nice bit of kit and has so much power in reserve that I will keep it for connection to my imac.

You could use as an amp to m15!

And have those bass boost and treble features from ifi. Its very clean in amp mode.

Feb 4, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #882 of 4,083
You could use as an amp to m15!

And have those bass boost and treble features from ifi. Its very clean in amp mode.
m15
Had considered this should I need the extra power form the idsd in the future. At the minute I think the M15 will be enough, nev er know what I might purchase headphone wise though where I need that combo.

Feb 4, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #883 of 4,083
Today I received the SHA900, which real small wonder. M15 LO to SHA900 LI sounds considerably more linear. The full body sound is tamed and the treble got more sparkly. Or maybe it is better heard and not overshadowed by the mids. It is a great setup if I feel the mids are too forward for my liking. My wife liked the direct sound of M15 more (more fun, she said) as she likes the a bit more forward mids, which is also the reason why she likes the Stellia.

I tested it with Stellia so should not be anything to do with the output impedance.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #884 of 4,083

I have something to say because I did this same comparison last night too :D

For more that I have loved the Black Label (and it's amazing), the M15 is 1-2 steps or so above it. The more I listen to it the more I'm impressed. For the first time, with an adaptor ,I was able to use my balanced 2.5mm Effect Audio Leonidas cable (for LCD-i4) on the Black Label, and even so... no chance with the M15 (greater dynamics, better layering, superior soundstage depth, more refined and detailed, much better bass).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back