FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Feb 2, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #841 of 4,083

Feb 2, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #842 of 4,083
Feb 2, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #843 of 4,083
Did you find the volume lock setting for when you have the hold/lock switch on? It makes it so when the screen turns on the volume isn’t adjusted until you turn the back to where it was or below.

Yes, I found it. I had once the case that the volume jumped higher but couldn't reproduce it. So I thought maybe something happened in my pocket.

Feb 2, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #846 of 4,083
M15 arrived today while I was at work, having a little play around this evening and initial impressions are very very good.

Build quality is excellent, screen for a DAP is very good and speed of menus and overall system is also very quick. Quickest I've experienced in any DAP.

Initial listening has been limited to some tidal masters and Amazon hd tracks. Used my Moonbuds Nightshade earbuds through the 3.5mm connection.
Very full sound with lots of depth and detail, volume around 45% on the dial on low gain which is good for these quite difficult to drive earbuds.
I've just loaded up a SD card so will try out the pure music mode.

Looking forward to this burning in and seeing improvements as the hours build up.

Feb 2, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #847 of 4,083
M15 arrived today while I was at work, having a little play around this evening and initial impressions are very very good.

Build quality is excellent, screen for a DAP is very good and speed of menus and overall system is also very quick. Quickest I've experienced in any DAP.

Initial listening has been limited to some tidal masters and Amazon hd tracks. Used my Moonbuds Nightshade earbuds through the 3.5mm connection.
Very full sound with lots of depth and detail, volume around 45% on the dial on low gain which is good for these quite difficult to drive earbuds.
I've just loaded up a SD card so will try out the pure music mode.

Looking forward to this burning in and seeing improvements as the hours build up.
Is the Nightshade high impedance? If it is you should try over-ear mode, I have VE Suns (300ohm) and they are much more holographic with that engaged.
However I don’t see much benefit with over-ear for my Abyss Diana Phi...

Feb 2, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #848 of 4,083
Is the Nightshade high impedance? If it is you should try over-ear mode, I have VE Suns (300ohm) and they are much more holographic with that engaged.
However I don’t see much benefit with over-ear for my Abyss Diana Phi...

When I bought them I'm sure they were quoted as being 500ohm, will check my Facebook messages to be sure. Will also try the over ear mode.
Currently listening on pure mode which seems to sound even better than android mode but will need to listen a bit more. Trying out the IMR RAH on this now, good combo.

Feb 2, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #849 of 4,083
20200202_032155.jpg

M15 vs DX220 sound impressions round 1

Setups: M15/DX220 (with AMP8) > EA Cleopatra > Hidition Violet, both using 4.4mm output.

Songs tried: Various songs from Lorde, Melissa Menago, Linkin Park, Metallica, Fleetwood Mac.

Signature-wise, DX220 is neutral veering slightly towards a V, while M15 is neutral-warm. The most obvious difference is in the presentation. DX220 is more immediate and dynamic, livelier. M15 is musical, less in your face, more spacious and relaxed.

For note characteristics, DX220 has a sharper leading edge while M15 goes in softer and mellower, with a rounder decay. Note thickness is similar. Tone-wise, M15 has a sweet, luscious, warm-tinged and accurate timbre with very realistic vocal rendition. DX220 has a brighter edge but is shoutier and raspier in vocals.

Detail levels for both are top tier, but DX220 has more apparent macro-detail and tends to push details forward. Note texture is more appreciable. M15's softer hits mean you'll have to strain a bit to hear the similar details the DX220 gave, but it doesn't mean they're missing.

While M15 lacks in dynamics, it makes up for with refinement levels, air and micro-detail rendering. Nothing sounds congested or muddied. It takes on a very musical, euphonic signature that's technically sound as well.

Bass repsonse is very similar, with DX220 having slightly more texture and M15 having more punch. M15 easily takes the mids. I like both trebles, where DX220 is livelier and brighter while M15 is more coherent and accurate.

M15 has a wider, deeper soundstage and better imaging capability. The background is blacker and more stable than the DX220, and micro-details are easily heard despite the smoother tuning.

I really like both and would have a hard time deciding the winner in terms of pure sound, but here's why I prefer the M15. Faster and more responsive UI, better screen, much longer battery life, no need to switch amps.

Feb 2, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #850 of 4,083

Setups: M15/DX220 (with AMP8) > EA Cleopatra > Hidition Violet, both using 4.4mm output.

Songs tried: Various songs from Lorde, Melissa Menago, Linkin Park, Metallica, Fleetwood Mac.

Signature-wise, DX220 is neutral veering slightly towards a V, while M15 is neutral-warm. The most obvious difference is in the presentation. DX220 is more immediate and dynamic, livelier. M15 is musical, less in your face, more spacious and relaxed.

For note characteristics, DX220 has a sharper leading edge while M15 goes in softer and mellower, with a rounder decay. Note thickness is similar. Tone-wise, M15 has a sweet, luscious, warm-tinged and accurate timbre with very realistic vocal rendition. DX220 has a brighter edge but is shoutier and raspier in vocals.

Detail levels for both are top tier, but DX220 has more apparent macro-detail and tends to push details forward. Note texture is more appreciable. M15's softer hits mean you'll have to strain a bit to hear the similar details the DX220 gave, but it doesn't mean they're missing.

While M15 lacks in dynamics, it makes up for with refinement levels, air and micro-detail rendering. Nothing sounds congested or muddied. It takes on a very musical, euphonic signature that's technically sound as well.

Bass repsonse is very similar, with DX220 having slightly more texture and M15 having more punch. M15 easily takes the mids. I like both trebles, where DX220 is livelier and brighter while M15 is more coherent and accurate.

M15 has a wider, deeper soundstage and better imaging capability. The background is blacker and more stable than the DX220, and micro-details are easily heard despite the smoother tuning.

I really like both and would have a hard time deciding the winner in terms of pure sound, but here's why I prefer the M15. Faster and more responsive UI, better screen, much longer battery life, no need to switch amps.

Appreciate the comparisons. Just so I read that right, you said the M15 has a blacker background than the DX220? The M11’s background was my biggest complaint. If the M15 addresses that then I will be very happy.

Feb 2, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #851 of 4,083
20200202_032155.jpg

Neet little comparison. Can you do an interference test please.

Like wifi and bluetooth also if m15 picks noises from phone and how close can they be side by side before interferences starts.

You can set m15 on pause wile playing music and place the phone on top of it and then just enabling wifi and browsing web and same with wifi off it would trigger all the interferences if there's any....

Feb 2, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #852 of 4,083
Great to read that the M15 is better than the iBasso DX220 and DX228.

Feb 3, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #854 of 4,083
I have X7ii with AM3D and DX200 with AMP9, is it worth to upgrade???

Feb 3, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #855 of 4,083
Great to read that the M15 is better than the iBasso DX220 and DX228.
Just to give you another perspective, I compare m15 to dx228 extensively this weekend and thought the ibasso was clearly the better performer. Go figure... Just clearly more detailed and higher resolution sound, punchier/better dynamics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back