FiiO M15 Audio Player | Dual AK4499EQ | 7490 mAh Battery | 64 GB ROM | $1299.99
Jan 25, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #616 of 4,083
Just one person’s opinion, and one without golden ears to boot, but I don’t find the 3 ohm output impedance for the balanced output causing me any issues for the one sensitive IEM I have. My two primary IEMs are the Sony IER-Z1R and HYLA Sarda. No surprise there’s no issues with the Z1R and it’s 40 ohm impedance, but the Sarda has a 7 ohm impedance.

I have it paired with a DUNU NOBLE cable that has a quick switch system for the plug and I’m able to quickly change between 3.5mm and 4.4mm. Not scientific and I’m just volume matching by ear, but I don’t notice any massive frequency response variation between the two outputs.

Still have more tinkering to do with the various filters and whether or not to use All to DSD, but at least with this one IEM (that doesn’t have any impedance correction tech like LID) it doesn’t appear to be an issue.

Jan 25, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #617 of 4,083
Then Fiio needs an AK SP2000 owner to buy or demo a M15 and say its a better sounding dap.
If your a paid up owner of a SP2000 you are likely a fan boy, you are not likely to be objective. After all it would be hard to say after spending so much on the SP2000 that’s the M15 is better, not that I’m saying it is! The best comparison of course would be by someone who owns neither off them, but is considered an authority in this world!! I just want a comparison to the X7 MK II, to see if it’s worth upgrading, don’t care so mucH as to if it’s better than a DAP costing over 3 x as much!

Jan 25, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #618 of 4,083
Being a fanboy is not important. Like said in other threads the tonality preference is a subjective thing. One person won't be into the same things, especially with their choice of music.

The best way to compare is to use supplementary data from people like AmirM, who give quantitative data about the daps. Numbers.

And find a subjective reviewer/influencer who overlaps with your preferences.

And FiiO is a sponsor for Head-fi, ut is seriously ridiculous this thread has barely any responses from a FiiO tech/representative like @Joe Bloggs is doing for the Hiby dap threads.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #619 of 4,083
Jim,

I have the M15 and X7 Mark II. First notes, then listening impressions:

DACs: Fiio switched from ESS to AKM between these two players. ESS vs. AKM are fighting words on these forums, but it is worth noting a few points: ESS announced the ES9028PRO (in the X7 Mark II) in early 2016, as a mid-tier alternative to the top tier EX9038PRO. AKM announced the AK4499EQ in early 2019, as its top tier DAC. For DACs, three-year gap (and mid vs. top tier) are in the M15's favor.

Amps: I really liked the switchable amp modules on the X7 Mark II, although I never got to try the THX module (also with 4.4mm port). The M15 amp's output impedance for balanced ports is much too high at 3 ohms, requiring higher impedance headphones or an impedance adapter for low impedance IEMs. Having said that, the M15 amp to my ear sounds neutral and clean, and absolutely has power to burn to drive difficult headphones like my HD800s.

Misc:
  • The X7 Mark II comes with many useful accessories, including two cases. The M15 has just a back panel(?) glass and a 3.5mm to digital coaxial adapter.
  • The X7 Mark II has an optical output on the 3.5mm port, dropped for some reason on the M15. This is quite handy when the DAP is used as a transport only.
  • Build quality: I had some problems with the X7 Mark II (failed volume knob, out of warranty). The M15's durability remains to be seen, but it does feel considerably more solid than the older model.
Personal Opinion: After working around the output impedance problem and changing the lowpass filter setting (as discussed elsewhere in this thread), I am extremely pleased with sound quality on the M15. The fantastic DAC and powerful amp have me diving into music collection with renewed vigor. I also travel a lot, and it pleases me beyond words to have a portable rig that rivals my home system. If you are coming from the X7 Mark II, you really owe it to yourself to have an extended listen to the M15.

I am as curious as anyone for a runoff between the M15 and it's DAC-brother the A&K SP2000. For my part, I swore off of A&K after two broken 2.5mm ports. While the SP2000 has balanced output impedance in its favor the M15 has value for money, the indispensable 4.4mm port, and changeable lowpass filter settings so it will be an interesting comparison.
Hey Expat,

thanks for insight, one thing for me is the Bluetooth side of things, I travel a bit and BT can be useful, so LDAC and Aptx HD are useful features. But am I wrong in sensing that the difference sonically is not massive? Is it pretty close (in your opinion)? X7 II is my only DAP except for an old Sony, so no other comparisons for me!

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #620 of 4,083
Being a fanboy is not important. Like said in other threads the tonality preference is a subjective thing. One person won't be into the same things, especially with their choice of music.

The best way to compare is to use supplementary data from people like AmirM, who give quantitative data about the daps. Numbers.

And find a subjective reviewer/influencer who overlaps with your preferences.

And FiiO is a sponsor for Head-fi, ut is seriously ridiculous this thread has barely any responses from a FiiO tech/representative like @Joe Bloggs is doing for the Hiby dap threads.

I wonder if it was a mistake for fiio to launch a new dap so close to Chinese New Year. I think they are pretty totally closed down until the begging of the week

Jan 25, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #622 of 4,083
This thread has been up for 3 months.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #623 of 4,083
11/30 to 1/25 isn’t even 2 months, but okay. It was officially announced on 12/28 (4 weeks ago, and they were answering questions on the launch thread), didn’t get shipped to distributors until 1/17 and didn’t get into actual user hands until this week while they’re on vacation. I think calling the lack of engagement in this particular thread “seriously ridiculous” based on the above facts is a stretch.

Jan 25, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #624 of 4,083
Hey Expat,

thanks for insight, one thing for me is the Bluetooth side of things, I travel a bit and BT can be useful, so LDAC and Aptx HD are useful features. But am I wrong in sensing that the difference sonically is not massive? Is it pretty close (in your opinion)? X7 II is my only DAP except for an old Sony, so no other comparisons for me!

Jim,

The Bluetooth implementation on the M15 does look to be better, 5.0 up from 4.2 and support for LDAC and Aptx HD. However, with my Bluetooth headsets I could not tell a difference between AptX on the X7 Mark II and AptX HD on the M15. I could not try LDAC.

It's important to note that whenever you are using Bluetooth you are bypassing the player's DAC and amp and using the DAC and amp in your Bluetooth headphones. I have become a big fan of the M15 but it is power-hungry, heavy, and expensive, and its best features are only available if you are using a wire. If your primary use is Bluetooth I'm not sure the upgrade is worthwhile, but if you are using wired headphones as well then the M15 really shines. Hope this helps.

Jan 25, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #625 of 4,083
Jim,

The Bluetooth implementation on the M15 does look to be better, 5.0 up from 4.2 and support for LDAC and Aptx HD. However, with my Bluetooth headsets I could not tell a difference between AptX on the X7 Mark II and AptX HD on the M15. I could not try LDAC.

It's important to note that whenever you are using Bluetooth you are bypassing the player's DAC and amp and using the DAC and amp in your Bluetooth headphones. I have become a big fan of the M15 but it is power-hungry, heavy, and expensive, and its best features are only available if you are using a wire. If your primary use is Bluetooth I'm not sure the upgrade is worthwhile, but if you are using wired headphones as well then the M15 really shines. Hope this helps.

Hey Expat,

thanks again, BT is more of a secondary requirement, primary use will be for HD 800s’s and Fiio FH7’s. I found BT on the X7 II to be pretty poor, more of an afterthought (poor range and connection) I have a pair of the Nura phones and am also getting the Nura Loops, so BT HD codec and improved range / connection will be a bonus.

Jan 25, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #626 of 4,083
Forums are always fun because people have such strong opinions! And we all have different ears.

FWIW, this is my first FiiO product ever and I like it better than the SP1000 that I've had (borrowed from friend) for the past few weeks. He will let me borrow his SP2000 next weekend. And if I prefer the SP2000, I will get my own SP2000.

But comparing to the SP1000, after choosing the right filter, the M15 has more detail (especially texture on drums and texture on cellos/bass, which are extremely important to me) and there is a better sense of the space of the recording (particularly remarkable on Lucinda Williams, Live at Fillmore as one example, but I am consistently surprised at the sense of space and the realism of the stage I get on many recordings.). Also there is warmth in the midrange that makes the SP1000 sounds a little hollow/lean in comparison. And lastly, the M15 goes a little deeper in bass than the SP1000 while still maintaining very tight control. Conversely, there is nothing I hear in the SP1000 that I would prefer over the M15 (again, after choosing the right filter for me).

That's as a DAP. As a front-end/DAC, the differentiation is greater. The M15 gets closer to my personal reference/preference which is the PS Audio DS. And then out of this room, when I use the M15 to drive the WA8, I get a ton more detail and a much better stage than the Woo DAC implementation, but I don't have to sacrifice the warmth that Woo gets in their DAC! That is huge for me, and that's something the SP1000 cannot do for me. I want the warmth AND I want the detail and timing/rhythm in this pairing with the WA8. The M15 is fantastic for this configuration when I'm away from home.

Again, out of the box, with the balanced output issue I was having and with the bass-heavy default filter, I would clearly choose the AK. The out-of-box tuning that FiiO chose is not to my taste. But having worked around those issues, I now prefer the M15.

I look forward to seeing if the 2000 is even better. I had a wonderful experience on the train home today with the M15 and my a12t's and it's lovely that we can enjoy music so well now wherever we are in these small packages. Really cool.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #627 of 4,083
Forums are always fun because people have such strong opinions! And we all have different ears.

FWIW, this is my first FiiO product ever and I like it better than the SP1000 that I've had (borrowed from friend) for the past few weeks. He will let me borrow his SP2000 next weekend. And if I prefer the SP2000, I will get my own SP2000.

But comparing to the SP1000, after choosing the right filter, the M15 has more detail (especially texture on drums and texture on cellos/bass, which are extremely important to me) and there is a better sense of the space of the recording (particularly remarkable on Lucinda Williams, Live at Fillmore as one example, but I am consistently surprised at the sense of space and the realism of the stage I get on many recordings.). Also there is warmth in the midrange that makes the SP1000 sounds a little hollow/lean in comparison. And lastly, the M15 goes a little deeper in bass than the SP1000 while still maintaining very tight control. Conversely, there is nothing I hear in the SP1000 that I would prefer over the M15 (again, after choosing the right filter for me).

That's as a DAP. As a front-end/DAC, the differentiation is greater. The M15 gets closer to my personal reference/preference which is the PS Audio DS. And then out of this room, when I use the M15 to drive the WA8, I get a ton more detail and a much better stage than the Woo DAC implementation, but I don't have to sacrifice the warmth that Woo gets in their DAC! That is huge for me, and that's something the SP1000 cannot do for me. I want the warmth AND I want the detail and timing/rhythm in this pairing with the WA8. The M15 is fantastic for this configuration when I'm away from home.

Again, out of the box, with the balanced output issue I was having and with the bass-heavy default filter, I would clearly choose the AK. The out-of-box tuning that FiiO chose is not to my taste. But having worked around those issues, I now prefer the M15.

I look forward to seeing if the 2000 is even better. I had a wonderful experience on the train home today with the M15 and my a12t's and it's lovely that we can enjoy music so well now wherever we are in these small packages. Really cool.

@nova430, you seems to be having Golden ears and very experienced and audio enthusiastic for many many years. Why you didn't join head fi earlier, anyway thx like your feedback

Jan 25, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #628 of 4,083

Thanks for the great feed back, out of interest what filter worked for you?

Jan 25, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #629 of 4,083
Thanks for the great feed back, out of interest what filter worked for you?

The slow-delay, slow roll.

I'm not sold on the All to DSD mode on this thing, but I'll maybe try again tonight. So far, I prefer leaving that one off because that mode sounds to me like a very slight veil in return for no benefit that I've heard yet. But I'll try more tonight.

Jan 25, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #630 of 4,083
If your a paid up owner of a SP2000 you are likely a fan boy, you are not likely to be objective. After all it would be hard to say after spending so much on the SP2000 that’s the M15 is better, not that I’m saying it is! The best comparison of course would be by someone who owns neither off them, but is considered an authority in this world!! I just want a comparison to the X7 MK II, to see if it’s worth upgrading, don’t care so mucH as to if it’s better than a DAP costing over 3 x as much!
I can demo both at the same shoo as long as it is needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back