Fiio M11 Pro $600 is coming - Will you Purchase it ?
Nov 3, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #573 of 839
Nov 3, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #575 of 839
When buying Fiio M11 for a full sized headphones (mine is Focal Elegia), is it wise to buy a 4.4mm cable of the headphone as well? Would balanced cable sound better than the 3.5mm stock cable?

Nov 3, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #576 of 839
When buying Fiio M11 for a full sized headphones (mine is Focal Elegia), is it wise to buy a 4.4mm cable of the headphone as well? Would balanced cable sound better than the 3.5mm stock cable?
In balance you get more power thats all you get.

Nov 3, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #578 of 839
Elegia is easy to drive (even my smartphone's jack drives it loud enough at 40/100 volume). So I guess no need for extra power. Is better sound quality possible from the 4.4m output?
This does depend on the headphone to some extent, but in my experience most headphones/IEMs sound fuller and more ‘alive’ in balanced mode (even volume matched with SE). As always YMMV, but I drive all my headphones (mobile and desktop) balanced without exception. No point getting a balanced DAP/dac/amp if you’re going to waste half the circuitry.

Nov 3, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #579 of 839
Elegia is easy to drive (even my smartphone's jack drives it loud enough at 40/100 volume). So I guess no need for extra power. Is better sound quality possible from the 4.4m output?
If the device has a balanced mode, then do not neglect it. I advise you to listen for a balanced connection, while the separation of instruments is qualitatively improved.

Nov 3, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #580 of 839
This does depend on the headphone to some extent, but in my experience most headphones/IEMs sound fuller and more ‘alive’ in balanced mode (even volume matched with SE). As always YMMV, but I drive all my headphones (mobile and desktop) balanced without exception. No point getting a balanced DAP/dac/amp if you’re going to waste half the circuitry.

Yeah. Since the headphone + M11 Pro costs around $1500, spending just +$100 for a balanced cable to enhance the sound output would make complete sense.

Nov 3, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #582 of 839
Yeah. Since the headphone + M11 Pro costs around $1500, spending just +$100 for a balanced cable to enhance the sound output would make complete sense.
Also, chances are if they made the amp and dac balanced, they’ve optimized the sound/design for balanced mode.

Nov 3, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #584 of 839
Best example of this: Sony wma1a and 1z, SE sounds meh, balanced is where the money is
Yeah the Sonys have a horrible weak SE amp. Balance is the cheaper way of getting more MW from that amp

Nov 3, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #585 of 839
Despite the other misinformation you just got, going balanced on the M11 is considered much improved and NOT just because you get more power. The audio path is completely different and uses different op-amps inside the device. The balanced path uses two OPA926's which is some Fiio custom job. The single ended uses an OPA1642, so not the same amplifier. I make 4.4mm cables for all my headphones because I like the sound and I really haven't used the 3.5mm port to say if it is worse or similar. All I can tell you is the truth which is that it is not the same signal. You can see it in the block diagram here:

https://www.fiio.com/m11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back