[FiiO M11] Android 7.0, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output, Exynos 7872, Dual AK4493 DAC chips, 3GB RAM, WiFi, Two-way LDAC
Apr 19, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #691 of 9,288
I think the M11 is the best sounding dap they have so far.
Can you comment on how it compares, sound signature wise, to X5III and X7 / X7II ?
Personally, I like the X5III way more than X7 / X7II due to being smoother / warmer and more musical (less clinical).
So... moving from X5III to M11 - would it be an improvement while keeping similar smooth / warm / fun sound signature? or is it moving closer to X7 / X7II being more analytical / clinical sound signature?

Apr 19, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #692 of 9,288
Can you comment on how it compares, sound signature wise, to X5III and X7 / X7II ?
Personally, I like the X5III way more than X7 / X7II due to being smoother / warmer and more musical (less clinical).
So... moving from X5III to M11 - would it be an improvement while keeping similar smooth / warm / fun sound signature? or is it moving closer to X7 / X7II being more analytical / clinical sound signature?
bimmer100 yes please ... :)

Apr 19, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #693 of 9,288
I had both the X5-iii and the R6 but in different periods so I had never done a direct comparison. However, from memory I liked the X5 much more in comparison to the R6 which sounded clinical and soulless to me - at least that was my impression. General impressions indeed are sometimes based on several other factors than sound per-se. It's unavoidable. I mean I also liked the design and functionality of the X5-iii better than that of the R6. The tactile volume knob and the brilliant grip and TPU case, the whole X5 thing was screaming ANALOGUE compared to the generic digital-esque R6. Contrary to what another guy wrote a few pages back, my impressions were the other way around after using those 2 players. He claimed the X5-iii as the more precise while the R6 more musical (or something similar to that). Well, I heard the exact opposite things while owning those devices.
I eventually ended up getting a used Sony Walkman NW-ZX2 which is by far the best soudning DAP I've ever heard but it's seriously buggy these days and limited in terms of app compatibility due to its archaic Android software. I guess one can never have it all....

As you rightly say, the wiser thing is to wait for a few reviews and comparisons to be published before committing to buy.
Have you ever used the ZX300? It uses a custom OS but I think it's overall better than the Android on the ZX2, and many consider the ZX300 to be as good if not better sonically. Speaking of which, someone did post their impressions previously but I'm wondering if the M11 is better than the Sony. Looking at it's price tag I'd put it below the likes of the R6 Pro, the SR15, and the ZX300 which are all more expensive but considering the specs of the M11 and what people have said when comparing it against the Hiby, the M11 seems like a very strong competitor, which only peaks my interest even more.

Apr 19, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #694 of 9,288
I saw a couple of official posts here like M13 will be available within a few months just after M11 release.

JamesFIIO fid say that an M11Pro was being planned fot potential release down the line. Hopefully it's not another vaporware project like the dedicated transport.

Apr 19, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #695 of 9,288
Have you ever used the ZX300? It uses a custom OS but I think it's overall better than the Android on the ZX2, and many consider the ZX300 to be as good if not better sonically. Speaking of which, someone did post their impressions previously but I'm wondering if the M11 is better than the Sony. Looking at it's price tag I'd put it below the likes of the R6 Pro, the SR15, and the ZX300 which are all more expensive but considering the specs of the M11 and what people have said when comparing it against the Hiby, the M11 seems like a very strong competitor, which only peaks my interest even more.

No, I haven't heard the ZX300 unfortunately.

I'm not expecting M11 to be sonically superior to my ZX2. This has not been achieved by many much for expensive recent DAPs. However I'm prepared for a bit of... sonic compromise in return of great user experience, future-proofing and features such as Dlna, strong WiFi, UAPP and app compatibility in general.

Apr 19, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #696 of 9,288
No, I haven't heard the ZX300 unfortunately.

I'm not expecting M11 to be sonically superior to my ZX2. This has not been achieved by many much for expensive recent DAPs. However I'm prepared for a bit of... sonic compromise in return of great user experience, future-proofing and features such as Dlna, strong WiFi, UAPP and app compatibility in general.
Now that you mentioned it, if the M11 seems potentially on par with the ZX300, that would also mean the M11 could be sonically equal to the ZX2, which seems sort of a stretch looking at the price difference. What other higher end DAPs have you tried comparing the ZX2 with?

Apr 19, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #697 of 9,288
I have the M11 and R6Pro at the moment.
Using HibyMusic with MSEB / EQ on both, The R6Pro has the edge on power and maybe just on sound quality, the M11 has a way better screen, boots way faster and seems to run faster, i'm using it now to type this, its pretty much like a phone. Its wifi is also better. Its larger but lighter, about the same battery life. I really like both. The M11 is quite a bit cheaper.

Please note: When I used the Fiio player I didnt like the sound at all, also the EQ seemed to add distortion easily and it hardly changed the sound when moving the sliders.

Considering the R6Pro is getting on for twice the price of the M11, that is quite an acheivement for Fiio that they are so close.

Apr 20, 2019 at 6:00 AM Post #698 of 9,288
So i took the plunge and got the M11, it does not allow Tidal to save offline music to microSD (only internal storage). Kinda bummed, since internal only has about 20+.

Edit: My bad! Problem solved. I can now download offline to microSD.

Now to enjoy the music....!!

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 6:10 AM Post #699 of 9,288
So i took the plunge and got the M11, it does not allow Tidal to save offline music to microSD (only internal storage). Kinda bummed, since internal only has about 20+Gb of storage space...
That doesn't sound right? Even the M9 allows for offline storage onto SD. Did you check the settings in the Tidal app?

Apr 20, 2019 at 6:36 AM Post #701 of 9,288
So i took the plunge and got the M11, it does not allow Tidal to save offline music to microSD (only internal storage). Kinda bummed, since internal only has about 20+.

Edit: My bad! Problem solved. I can now download offline to microSD.

Now to enjoy the music....!!

Good! :) Was just about to reply . I don't have any music on internal storage. I have sd1 with my own music and all Tidal offline going to the second card. Nice to have the 2 slots.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #702 of 9,288
Now that you mentioned it, if the M11 seems potentially on par with the ZX300, that would also mean the M11 could be sonically equal to the ZX2, which seems sort of a stretch looking at the price difference. What other higher end DAPs have you tried comparing the ZX2 with?

I'm not that into side by side comparisons mainly because I usually first sell one thing and then proceed to funding the next one :) My impressions are that the ZX2 is better than anything else I have had. I've had Fiio X5-iii, iBasso DX-90, Cayin i5, Hiby R6, Dragonfly original and red.
Has anyone done a comparison between M11 and ZX2 (or ZX300)? Really?

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #703 of 9,288
Hope this is not post here earlier, please look at Point 5:

5. Considering the perforation of high capacity micro SD cards, a single SD card slot should suffice the requirement of most users, moreover, majority of the offerings in the market today also sports of a single SD card slot design. In order to avoid disparity in the data transfer rate causing concerns, we are considering the possibility of removing the dual micro SD card slot design in future batches of the M11.

https://www.fiio.com/newsinfo/203616.html

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #704 of 9,288
Hope this is not post here earlier, please look at Point 5:

https://www.fiio.com/newsinfo/203616.html
Hopefully they will not remove the second card slot. I was finally deciding to go with M11 after a long research, and 2 cards feature was one fo the top deciding feature. Of course if it is faulty better not to be provided but if they consider the removal (needing mods of current hardware version) they could also fix it. Nevertheless we can just wait and see.
Until then I need to restart the research for a possible other candidate.

Apr 20, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #705 of 9,288
Any preliminary thoughts or listening impressions how the M11 compares to A&K SR15? Fair comparison considering the SR15 costs more?

SR15 was definately a choice for me before I got the M11. My other choice was the Hiby R6 Pro. I feel that the M11 and SR15 are similar in sound compared to the R6 Pro. I suspect the CL dac in the SR15 may have a similar tune to the to the AKM dac on the M11. For me I feel they have a warmer, soothing tuning. I also have a Hidizs USB C dac that I use on my phone, which is also a Cirrus Logic DAC and I feel it's a warmer sound too. I also have a Cozoy USB C dac, the XDP 30R and used to have a LG V30. Like the R6 Pro they use the Sabre DAC and to my ears the Sabres have a very clean and precise sound, but I feel I get a more layered sound coming from the warmer tune of the M11.

For me, the SR15 has a nice feel to it. Like my 30R, the SR15 is a comfortable size to grip in your hands. The M11 is a little boxy in my hands. M11 appearance is rather simple and industrial to me. In terms of appearance I think the A&K SR15 is a nice design to look at.

I went for the M11 because of the UI. Also that big screen is fantastic. It literally feels like an Android phone OS and I love the fact I can side load so much stuff onto the DAP.
I even have Kodi installed, which I streams video files from my home network to the M11 really well. I also enjoy photography so I have my web albums all installed as well.
M11 is quite the multimedia powerhouse!

We're quite spoilt for choice with regards to low to medium priced DAPS now. Because of the mutlimedia prowess the Hiby R6 Pro was rather high on the list for me.

If listening to your audio is the number one priority for you I think the SR15 is still in the running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back