[FiiO M11] Android 7.0, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output, Exynos 7872, Dual AK4493 DAC chips, 3GB RAM, WiFi, Two-way LDAC
Nov 27, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #8,551 of 9,288
Has anyone tried out the USB out function with DSD files to an external DAC / amp? If so, does it work ok and what DAC /amps were you using? I have a Questyle CMA600i and am interested in this feature on either the M11 orM6. Thanks.

Hi all

Had a quick search of the thread but could not find an answer,:

I've just bought a new M11 updated to the latest FW 1.1.0 (via 2 previous versions).

I just tried to play via my DAC/Amp, but could not get any sound out. I am using a USB C to A OTG cable which worked fine with the M3 Pro, but nothing with the M11...

I've had a look through the settings and have selected the ones that seem logical to me, but could someone let me know what I need to do to get this working?

Many thanks

Nov 27, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #8,553 of 9,288
I've got two Sandisk 400GB micro disks.

I noticed on Amazon there are now 1TB micro disks (not named brands) for $50, whilst the name brands are selling for hundreds if at all.

I guess there is a reason they are cheap, i.e. unreliable. Has anyone ventured this big ?

I bought a similar one off e-bay - it was a fake - I got my money refunded though :)

I think the only companies legitimately making 1TB micro SD cards are SanDisk, Integral and Samsung (?). If you buy from the actual Amazon store you should be OK - Black Friday prices (in the UK) show they are available for about £190 - still too expensive for me...

Nov 27, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #8,554 of 9,288
I bought a similar one off e-bay - it was a fake - I got my money refunded though :)

I think the only companies legitimately making 1TB micro SD cards are SanDisk, Integral and Samsung (?). If you buy from the actual Amazon store you should be OK - Black Friday prices (in the UK) show they are available for about £190 - still too expensive for me...

Yep Can$390 for me here. For the time being I'll stick with my two 400GB cards

Nov 27, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #8,555 of 9,288
I couldn't find in developer's option any parameters concerning LDAC in the M11
Firmware used is 4.4.13-ge47c182

Somewhere I have an email from Fiio support saying the two LDAC options for the M11 are 330 and 660kbps, it doesn't support 990kbps.

It's a moot point, as I can't get it to maintain a good connection with my Sony headphones at 660kbps, so 990kbps would be of no use at all.

Nov 27, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #8,556 of 9,288
I've got two Sandisk 400GB micro disks.

I noticed on Amazon there are now 1TB micro disks (not named brands) for $50, whilst the name brands are selling for hundreds if at all.

I guess there is a reason they are cheap, i.e. unreliable. Has anyone ventured this big ?

They're cheap because they're fake. The only 1TB that's truly on the market is the sandisk. Treat everything else as a silkscreened 32mb. Hell, I even went through 3 fake sandisk 1TB from amazon before I said to hell with it and stuck with my 2 512GB

Nov 28, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #8,557 of 9,288
Dear user,

This could not be added in current UI design. But you could read the number after choosing a song to play and enter the now playing page.
1604480951853.png

Best regards

Hi I just checked my FIIO M11, but I can't find the option of Maximum Quality of LDAC (990 Kbps), with the next update the Fiio M11 will have the Maximum Quality of LDAC (990 Kbps) or will it never have that quality of LDAC ??? ??

Nov 28, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #8,558 of 9,288
There are 2 modes of LDAC in M11 330Kbps and 660Kbps .. which makes at best 24bits/44.1khz I could get with my Qhdelix5K and Xduuo XD-05plus... My old Daps can get 990Kbps with 24/96 connections (WM1A, R6Pro)
The BT implementation in Fiio is rather annoying.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #8,559 of 9,288
There are 2 modes of LDAC in M11 330Kbps and 660Kbps .. which makes at best 24bits/44.1khz I could get with my Qhdelix5K and Xduuo XD-05plus... My old Daps can get 990Kbps with 24/96 connections (WM1A, R6Pro)
The BT implementation in Fiio is rather annoying.

Don’t get caught on numbers too much. I could bet my money that with a decent 320kbps rip no one could spot a difference. If mastering engineers can’t I doubt that average Joe could :)

Nov 28, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #8,560 of 9,288
Don’t get caught on numbers too much. I could bet my money that with a decent 320kbps rip no one could spot a difference. If mastering engineers can’t I doubt that average Joe could :)

Your point of view .. as respectable as all other.. Including mine. And I know many tests on the web proving that listener won't make the difference between low res mp3 and DSD/FLAC hires files. I have no idea why they can't catch the difference between them if mixing is recent and totally clean (let's say 2010+) !! But I do !!!

On my side, it sounds different with many recent recordings or older freshly remastered (by Steven Wilson as example for some old stuff). So I almost never listen any more to MP3 files or hires files not (re) mixed for hires.
With those new Hires mixing, most of the time, I can easily catch a fair difference between my iphone Xsmax limited to AAC 320kbps and my WM1A both connected in BT to a small Xduoo XD05plus with a Heddphone by Hedd or a IER- Z1R at the end !!!

And all differences is even increased if I connect a THX887 as final amp (unfortunately not portable)..
So for MP3 or old CD level mixing 44Khz.. for sure any iphone can do the job fairly well, for Hires Recording, it's often a different story and doesn't take really long to get more pleasure with 990kbps instead 320Kbps...

So for a few months now, I have quit Apple for Android maily because of BT limitations for QObuz .. I went from Iphone Xsmax to a Z Fold 2 5G ..My Xsmax and Ipad 12.9 pro are now just used with mconnect at home as remote control for my DLNA server & Qobuz to feed remotely my desktop PC+M500+THX887 (of course Not with BT, but just Wifi).

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #8,561 of 9,288
Your point of view .. as respectable as all other.. Including mine.

On my side, it sounds different with many recent recordings or older freshly remastered (by Steven Wilson as example for some old stuff) I never listen any more to MP3 files.
With those new Hires mixing, most of the time, I can easily catch a fair difference between my iphone Xsmax limited to AAC 320kbps and my WM1A both connected in BT to a small Xduoo XD05plus with a Heddphone by Hedd or a IER- Z1R at the end !!!

And all differences is even increased if I connect a THX887 as final amp (unfortunately not partable)..
So for MP3 or old CD level mixing 44Khz.. for sure any iphone can do the job fairly well, for Hires Recording, it's often a different story and doesn't take really long to get pleasure with 990kbps instead 320Kbps

AAC codec is lower in quality and I think is below than 320kbps. It is important to note that Quality in the same format can vary a lot, same as with other formats. Old mp3 were ripped poorly, but what’s now on streaming services....High res number chasers would be surprised what is uploaded on streaming platforms even with 128kbps

Nov 28, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #8,562 of 9,288
AAC codec is lower in quality and I think is below than 320kbps. It is important to note that Quality in the same format can vary a lot, same as with other formats. Old mp3 were ripped poorly, but what’s now on streaming services....High res number chasers would be surprised what is uploaded on streaming platforms even with 128kbps

I sometimes do with Qobuz the A/B comparison with limiting the bandwidth to MP3 320kps or Hires to 96khz (as we can choose the download version with any Hires recordings).. and with recent recordings/mixing there are often limitations at even at 320Kps compared to 96Khz.. Though, I am not sure 16 vs 24Bits is not more significant than frequency in the sound, as 24 bits at 48khz is near to perfect to my ears.

With old mixing not made for Hires, I agree ..I would say, it's much much more difficult to catch a significant difference...

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #8,563 of 9,288
Hi everyone:

Writing with a question ... would it make sense to get a FiiO M11 if I plan to solely use it as a bluetooth streamer to my ANC bluetooth headphones that I have access to, i.e. Sony XM4 (LDAC), B&O H95 (Adaptive Aptx), Sennheiser Momentum 3 (Aptx HD)?

In other words, I plan to use Amazon Music HD as the source, and was wondering if FiiO M11 would bring tangible benefit in sound quality when used with the above-noted bluetooth headphones over my current setup which involves an iPhone X (AAC).

Thanks in advance!

Nov 28, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #8,564 of 9,288
I sometimes do with Qobuz the A/B comparison with limiting the bandwidth to MP3 320kps or Hires to 96khz (as we can choose the download version with any Hires recordings).. and with recent recordings/mixing there are often limitations at even at 320Kps compared to 96Khz.. Though, I am not sure 16 vs 24Bits is not more significant than frequency in the sound, as 24 bits at 48khz is near to perfect to my ears.

With old mixing not made for Hires, I agree ..I would say, it's much much more difficult to catch a significant difference...

I honestly don't believe that artist intend to create music specially for "hi - res". Actually older music tends to be way better mastered than current age, where majority of music can sound compressed. In audio a very large impact to perception of sound is your bias, people are chasing best sounding DAC's with inaudible measurements, same goes with music formats, but hey I will not try to convince otherwise, people are free to believe whatever they want :)

Nov 29, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #8,565 of 9,288
I honestly don't believe that artist intend to create music specially for "hi - res". Actually older music tends to be way better mastered than current age, where majority of music can sound compressed. In audio a very large impact to perception of sound is your bias, people are chasing best sounding DAC's with inaudible measurements, same goes with music formats, but hey I will not try to convince otherwise, people are free to believe whatever they want :)

If you ear like that, it must true for you, though I feel a bit sad for if you can't enjoy Hires .. I have heard the same story with CD and LP in the 80s for a decade or two I never understood.

On my side, I hated all my scratched LP records and I never went back again to listen those, I hated CD with mostly a permanent background breath disturbing low volume music and black background between tracks.

And I love most of these last ten years mixing with deep clear powerful impacts in sub-bass between 15hz to 60hz (like I get with my speakers/sub) or crystal clear high frequencies totally whistling free.

It's so easy to ear the differences with appropriate hardware and qobuz between any recordings before more or less 2010 and than properly remastered after.
Steven Wilson is remarkable with making an amazing job with some old stuff (1970-2000) which could be even already remastered once or twice before these last ten years from like => Chicago, Gentle Giant, Hawkind, Jethro Tull, Marillion, Roxy Music, Rush, Simple minds, XTC, Yes ...
So If you don't ear any difference till now, go and compare those old stuff mixing in 320kps and actual mixing with 990Kbps, and you will probably understand why Hires is a huge improvement.
Luckily your hardware can be easily be tested with your own ears, assuming you have good headphones to move clearly between 10hz to 20Khz (even if you are limited like I am to more or less 15/16khz, easy to check too with Online Tone Generator - generate pure tones of any frequency (szynalski.com) ) ....

I love actual times, I would have really enjoyed en the70's that hires music and mixing were available !! I loved owned the first Sony's walkman and many portable players.. but I rediscovered music these last years (with WM1A/IER-Z1R/Z7M2) with remastered or totally new stuff !!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back