[FiiO M11] Android 7.0, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output, Exynos 7872, Dual AK4493 DAC chips, 3GB RAM, WiFi, Two-way LDAC
Apr 11, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #7,876 of 9,288
Certainly not a perfect solution either but did you try using any volume boost app like eg GOODEV Volume Booster ?
Good suggestion, thanks. I had not run accross this in my research about BT volume issues.

I will try it out tonight. I see apkpure has lots of versions so should be able to make it work on my M9. That would be a godsend at this point as Ive all but given up using it with bluetooth headphones other than lower volumes or firmware begging lol

Apr 11, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #7,877 of 9,288
Hi, So you may not be able to do a factory restore or send the log files to us for check as well? Can restart or wiping the data help:
You could try to enter recovery mode by holding the power button and the next track button at the same time in power off mode first.
Then choose wipe cache partition to clear the password. (Press the power button for ensure.)
Best regards
@FiiO Sorry, didn't see your response.

That seemed to work but I'll let you know if it comes up again and the above doesn't work.

The issue was when clicking the settings icon for accessing the system settings for Fiio (giving you the options to view system version, battery power, memory, security, etc) the app would close two seconds later and go back to the main android home screen (allowing you to see all the apps you've downloaded).

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020 at 3:33 AM Post #7,878 of 9,288
Certainly not a perfect solution either but did you try using any volume boost app like eg GOODEV Volume Booster ?
Tried this tonight. Works perfect and behaves well on the M9 with the app I use for music also running. I can't thank you enough, this has solved my problem and can be changed on the fly easily.

While I would think this should be fixable in the firmware without the extra app needed, credit to Fiio for lifting app restrictions and allowing me this workaround.

Apr 12, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #7,879 of 9,288
Tried this tonight. Works perfect and behaves well on the M9 with the app I use for music also running. I can't thank you enough, this has solved my problem and can be changed on the fly easily.

No prb, glad i could help, you can use the like button under my post if you think it's relevant :wink:

Be careful while using volume booster apps though, i know Goodev display warning message but these tricks has to be used very carefully as not only it could damage your ears, but also your devices, if not used with caution.

Apr 12, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #7,880 of 9,288
Thanks for replying. Yes, I have them both maxed out and have tried 3 different sets of bluetooth headphones. Ive tried toggling disable absolute volume as well. Mine is an M9, was just asking here cuz the M9 thread is quiet after posting extensively there and I have read through this whole thread to find out if upgrading to an M11 would fix it. There are numerous posts deeper in this thread about people who upgraded an M9 to M11 and BT volume being the exact same. In my tests I used the same files and apps on other android devices ensuring any normalization, etc. was turned off as well as the same files on my wifes iphone. The M9 bt volume is lower than all of them and by a decent enough margin that i cant get them to be loud enough to enjoy. After some back and forth testing Ive come to the conclusion that the problem is coming from the fiio devices and Im wondering if theres any hope for firmware fix helping raise the headroom. It seems like the other devices had 2-3 notches higher to go.

Wired to the M9 is no problem, lots of headroom. The same bluetooth headphones I own are no problem on all other devices ive tested using same files and apps when possible. The only temp solution ive found is to apply gain to my mp3's to the 95/96 db range, but that is not ideal as it clips a lot of the files.

Ive been tempted to upgrade to an M11 and had negotiated a deal with the vendor for a discount on it since ive had the M9 only a short time, but not if the same issue exists, which it does according to some in this thread.
Not sure on lockdown where you are but any chance of a demo before doing the deal if you explain what your concerns are?

Apr 12, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #7,882 of 9,288
No prb, glad i could help, you can use the like button under my post if you think it's relevant :wink:

Be careful while using volume booster apps though, i know Goodev display warning message but these tricks has to be used very carefully as not only it could damage your ears, but also your devices, if not used with caution.
Yes, good advice. It seems to come with applicable warnings. I really only needed that little bit of headroom I get on other devices, so after playing around last night, 5-8% is plenty and only need it when using BT headphones, not wired sets.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #7,883 of 9,288
Hello all I just updated the firmware on the M11 and now I have two fiio music app icons on the screen. One says not installed and the other is the new version. When I try to delete the old icon it states system apps can not be uninstalled.
Any ideas?

Apr 12, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #7,884 of 9,288
But why would Play Store be 'restored' after a full factory reset when it was not included in the original device ? Do you mean that your reset did not return the unit to its original fw ? Beause if i'm not mistaken, Play Store is only here since the latest fw 1.0.9.

I was running the 1.0.9 firmware and uninstalled the Play Store manually. My expectation was that if I did a hard reset all of the preloaded apps included in the 1.0.9 build would return (like the Play Store). Just like with any android device.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #7,887 of 9,288
Hello all I just updated the firmware on the M11 and now I have two fiio music app icons on the screen. One says not installed and the other is the new version. When I try to delete the old icon it states system apps can not be uninstalled.
Any ideas?
Go to Android Settings<Apps and find the FiiO Music app. Disable it and re-renable it again. That should take care of the obsolete icon.

Apr 12, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #7,888 of 9,288
Not sure on lockdown where you are but any chance of a demo before doing the deal if you explain what your concerns are?
I think a demo would be difficult based on what I'm referring to here, and the solution of a separate volume cranking app suggested by another user here is a good enough solution for me, but I can certainly try to better explain what the issue is. I feel confident that I've eliminated any other possibilities other than the M9 being the culprit. To preface what I talk about below, I am only referring to bluetooth headphone volume, not wired sets. My wired headphones are all great connected to the M9 and it has more than enough headroom, even driving a pair of Sennheiser HD650's through the 3.5mm output. It's Bluetooth specifically and it's volume only, not any sort of connectivity issue.

Basically, the M9 (and M6 and M11 based on my reading) has a low max bluetooth volume ceiling on it, compared to other devices. With both volumes maxed out, it is still not loud enough, especially compared to other devices at my disposal. It's like it's short just a couple notches in volume headroom. I read through this whole thread, the M9 thread and the M6 thread and there are numerous other comments about what I'm referring to, while others say it suits their needs. For some, it's a non issue because they're using wired or listen at lower volumes.

To start, suggestions I get and settings I've confirmed:
-Volume on both devices (M9 and BT Headset) are cranked to max.
-Disable or enable "Absolute Volume" in dev options.
-3 Different bluetooth headsets
-Factory resets and re-pairing
-Changing codecs for BT connection (My headsets are all APTX, so no LDAC or APTX HD to try unfotunately)

What I used for my testing and settings confirmed:
-5 Other devices tested: 2 PC laptops, Samsung A5 Android Phone, Sony Experia Android Tablet, Iphone 7.
-Used the exact same music files (FLAC and MP3) and when possible, the same apps to playback.
-Same 3 sets of bluetooth headphones. 1More Stylish earbuds, Sennheiser PXC 550 & a Tribit over ear model
-Ensured no accessible system or app volume normalization/preamp was on for any devices being tested

My Results were essentially the same on every device I tried with only some very small variances. They all went louder than the M9 on the same 3 headsets, using the exact same music files and when possible, the same app used for playback. A primitive way of putting it is the other devices just seemed to go "2-3 notches" higher than the M9 volume wise. When listening on the M9 and BT headphones, I had to max volume out on both devices to get to or close to the volume I want. When listening on the other devices, I had to be 1-2 notches below the max to be where I wanted.

I have found a couple workarounds, like adding replaygain tags and preamp to my files, but that's not ideal as it adds clipping to files. I have the separate app for volume cranking that is good enough for me. If possible though, it seems like a bit of extra headroom added in the firmware (if that's at all possible and not a stupid suggestion on my part), would be the ideal solution.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #7,889 of 9,288
Go to Android Settings<Apps and find the FiiO Music app. Disable it and re-renable it again. That should take care of the obsolete icon.
Wow thank you sir. I owe you one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back