[FiiO M11] Android 7.0, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output, Exynos 7872, Dual AK4493 DAC chips, 3GB RAM, WiFi, Two-way LDAC
Jan 30, 2024 at 4:07 AM Post #9,256 of 9,288
hi guys - got a problem with my Fiio M11. I noticed something rattling inside the unit the other day - and the volume wheel is now no longer working. it moves up and down as it should, but the actual volume is stuck at an ear bleeding level

the only way around this is to use bluetooth headphones and control the volume that way, but I didn't get into hi-res listening to endure crappy bluetooth

I'm assuming whatever is rattling around inside is in some way responsible for the wheel activating the volume

any help on this would be ideal. I'm very reluctant to have a go at opening the M11 myself!

Jan 30, 2024 at 5:03 AM Post #9,257 of 9,288
hi guys - got a problem with my Fiio M11. I noticed something rattling inside the unit the other day - and the volume wheel is now no longer working. it moves up and down as it should, but the actual volume is stuck at an ear bleeding level

the only way around this is to use bluetooth headphones and control the volume that way, but I didn't get into hi-res listening to endure crappy bluetooth

I'm assuming whatever is rattling around inside is in some way responsible for the wheel activating the volume

any help on this would be ideal. I'm very reluctant to have a go at opening the M11 myself!

If its out of warranty, you can maybe check this https://www.thephonograph.net/fiio-m11-disassembly/
Good luck

Jan 30, 2024 at 9:21 AM Post #9,258 of 9,288
And Bluetooth isn't crappy, unless the M11 only implements an older SBC codec. Even humble AAC sounds very good, arguably audibly transparent really.

Jan 30, 2024 at 9:33 AM Post #9,259 of 9,288

Is the volume stuck like "all the way up" like line out levels? maybe that got activated by mistake... How about trying to slide the volume via "touch screen"? no response?

Jan 30, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #9,260 of 9,288

You can find an onscreen volume app that will help you out - check the Google Play store.

Jan 31, 2024 at 3:16 AM Post #9,261 of 9,288
Is the volume stuck like "all the way up" like line out levels? maybe that got activated by mistake... How about trying to slide the volume via "touch screen"? no response?
hi there - yes, this was the problem! I have no idea how I activated, as I've only really gone into the settings when I got the M11. turns out the 'Adjustble volume at LO' needed activating. no idea why this was in the wrong setting, but I'm back in the game! thanks so much for your suggestion

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #9,263 of 9,288
hi there - yes, this was the problem! I have no idea how I activated, as I've only really gone into the settings when I got the M11. turns out the 'Adjustble volume at LO' needed activating. no idea why this was in the wrong setting, but I'm back in the game! thanks so much for your suggestion
Happy you got it sorted out... despite being an old DAP/DAC, I still love it and I have no plans replacing it any time soon... (unless it craps out on me, hehe).

I know at one point I'll need to get its battery replaced... but I have been using it mostly as a DAC at work and to listen to some music in bed before sleeping, so no biggie.
cheers!

Feb 1, 2024 at 8:18 AM Post #9,264 of 9,288
Bluetooth is crappy compared to a wired connection. that cannot be argued. I'm sure we're not far off true wireless hi-res, but for now, a wired connection is still king
Not in my experience at all. I used Bluetooth from my phone to my system exclusively for years. That was after farting around with USB through JRiver, completely bitperfect. I could not detect any difference.

And while I'm not going to say that my equipment was the best, it was very, very competent gear, NAD M3 with a Gustard X16 DAC with Monitor Audio PL200 speakers supported by two well integrated SVS SB2000 Pro subs. And I only listen to well recorded music.

Under those conditions I found Bluetooth audibly transparent.

Edit: and I should have added that this has also been my experience with headphones, both actual BT headphones and using wired headphones.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 9:19 AM Post #9,265 of 9,288
Not in my experience at all. I used Bluetooth from my phone to my system exclusively for years. That was after farting around with USB through JRiver, completely bitperfect. I could not detect any difference.

And while I'm not going to say that my equipment was the best, it was very, very competent gear, NAD M3 with a Gustard X16 DAC with Monitor Audio PL200 speakers supported by two well integrated SVS SB2000 Pro subs. And I only listen to well recorded music.

Under those conditions I found Bluetooth audibly transparent.
I agree.. this debate can go on and on but despite the "loss" in quality, I find it quite acceptable to the point the convenience of moving around over "being" attached to the cord can be positive!

Feb 1, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #9,266 of 9,288
I agree.. this debate can go on and on but despite the "loss" in quality, I find it quite acceptable to the point the convenience of moving around over "being" attached to the cord can be positive!
Absolutely. I have for several years now been quite happy with ditching the cord. And I have been consuming "cord tethered" audio since the 1980s, so you would reasonably think I would be biased towards hearing the cord advantage, but nope, not at all. The convenience massively compensates for any possible audible compromise there may be, but I don't actually think there is any fidelity penalty that reaches audibility.

Feb 21, 2024 at 3:51 AM Post #9,267 of 9,288
alright guys. having more issues with my Fiio. a couple times everything just crashed, so I did a hard reset - and that seemed to work. since then, it's just completely died. I say completely died - it does look as though the screen is trying to power on, but just switches back off after a couple of seconds

I have a look on Fiio troubleshooting thing. one of the suggestions was battery issue - so to try and fire up using low voltage. ie - laptop. but still nothing. when I plug into laptop and do hard resest, the computer is finding the Fiio and the blue power light is coming on...

I'm going to be honest - I've had the Fiio for around 2 years - so for it to conk out like this is poor. I have an ipod 3rd generation which is still going strong

anyway, i'm wondering whether anyone else has had a similar issue? also, and this may or may not be relevant - but whatever was rattling around in the Fiio (see my previous posts) appears to be no longer there...or it's caught something inside and clung onto that. dunno

does anyone based in the UK know of anyone who fixes these? I know someone from Fiio help suggested another member send it to them in China, but I'm reluctant to do that

thanks guys

Feb 21, 2024 at 4:45 AM Post #9,268 of 9,288
alright guys. having more issues with my Fiio. a couple times everything just crashed, so I did a hard reset - and that seemed to work. since then, it's just completely died. I say completely died - it does look as though the screen is trying to power on, but just switches back off after a couple of seconds

I have a look on Fiio troubleshooting thing. one of the suggestions was battery issue - so to try and fire up using low voltage. ie - laptop. but still nothing. when I plug into laptop and do hard resest, the computer is finding the Fiio and the blue power light is coming on...

I'm going to be honest - I've had the Fiio for around 2 years - so for it to conk out like this is poor. I have an ipod 3rd generation which is still going strong

anyway, i'm wondering whether anyone else has had a similar issue? also, and this may or may not be relevant - but whatever was rattling around in the Fiio (see my previous posts) appears to be no longer there...or it's caught something inside and clung onto that. dunno

does anyone based in the UK know of anyone who fixes these? I know someone from Fiio help suggested another member send it to them in China, but I'm reluctant to do that

thanks guys
Take it to your local mobile phone repair shop. Essentially it is just an old android phone. They are your best bet to repair. Try to choose a local one & avoid the chain stores if possible.

Feb 21, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #9,269 of 9,288

thanks guys
Best of luck... I also have an older DAP, FiiO M11 and I was able to get a replacement screen via FiiO but they couldn't send me another battery... I was told I could send it back for replacement but also, if I can find any phone peeps who could replace the battery (and screen), that would quite likely be the best.

Currently, my battery lasts for only a few hours... which ain't too bad as I mostly use it as a DAC while in the office (so, plugged) and overnight if I wanna listen to music before falling asleep.

Can you still use your DAP while charging? does it make any difference if it's plugged in? then you know for sure it's a battery issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back