[FiiO M11] Android 7.0, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output, Exynos 7872, Dual AK4493 DAC chips, 3GB RAM, WiFi, Two-way LDAC
Jan 21, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #7,501 of 9,288
Yes, that's the same protector I picked up from Ebay. It's a perfect fit and matches the one that came from the factory. The one I purchased is on the back of my M11.

For sound quality, barely any change. For performance though, massive gains. Such a smooth experience in comparison.

so you dont change opensl to hi res output?

Jan 21, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #7,502 of 9,288
I'm slowly reading through this thread, but I think I'll find what I want quicker by asking folks on here.

I'm a current X5ii user and see the M11 as a shiny must have device, but I doubt the sound quality is going to be much of an improvement. The X5ii is loaded with my flac collection and whilst I browse much on my phone, which I could do with the M11, I don't use any of the streaming services.

Bottom line and tl:dr, is it even worth an X5ii owner converting to the M11 on SQ alone?

Ta for any replies.

I came from the X5iii, like you I'm local flac all the way, no streaming. For me, it was absolutely worth it for sound quality (incremental upgrade but noticeable), soundstage (def better) and usability (miles better). I would have no hesitation in recommending an upgrade but it all depends on how strong your upgraditis is!

Jan 21, 2020 at 1:36 AM Post #7,504 of 9,288
For sound quality, barely any change. For performance though, massive gains. Such a smooth experience in comparison.

I came from the X5iii, like you I'm local flac all the way, no streaming. For me, it was absolutely worth it for sound quality (incremental upgrade but noticeable), soundstage (def better) and usability (miles better). I would have no hesitation in recommending an upgrade but it all depends on how strong your upgraditis is!

Thanks both of you. I'm cooling off now. I might get one in the future, but right now, with a fully serviceable X5ii, I don't think I need a very minor sound upgrade. I'll spend my money on a couple of bigger cards, my 256Gb cards are full now.

Jan 21, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #7,506 of 9,288
Thanks both of you. I'm cooling off now. I might get one in the future, but right now, with a fully serviceable X5ii, I don't think I need a very minor sound upgrade. I'll spend my money on a couple of bigger cards, my 256Gb cards are full now.

Although you say you’re coming from an x5ii and the guy said there were some gains from an x5iii so logically your gains would be more noticeable

Jan 21, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #7,507 of 9,288
Although you say you’re coming from an x5ii and the guy said there were some gains from an x5iii so logically your gains would be more noticeable

True, but I haven't researched the differences between the two X5s, as I had no intention of buying one back in the day. Since my X5ii works fine, I really need it to be a satisfying improvement to make it worth my time and money and since I don't have the opportunity to try it out locally, I'll maybe wait till I actually need one. Unless an offer I can't refuse appears...

Jan 22, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #7,509 of 9,288
I'm slowly reading through this thread, but I think I'll find what I want quicker by asking folks on here.

I'm a current X5ii user and see the M11 as a shiny must have device, but I doubt the sound quality is going to be much of an improvement. The X5ii is loaded with my flac collection and whilst I browse much on my phone, which I could do with the M11, I don't use any of the streaming services.

Bottom line and tl:dr, is it even worth an X5ii owner converting to the M11 on SQ alone?

Ta for any replies.

I'm coming from an X5 Gen 2 and for me it's a big upgrade in SQ, especially in balanced mode. The UI is obviously a huge improvement as well.
Using my Fiio FA7 on balanced mode, I hear the M11 as being more detailed with better instrument separation and imaging. It also sounds a lot smoother whilst having more detail than the X5II. I always found that the X5II being quite harsh at high frequencies.
But the main reason why I changed to an M11 is that my X5II has a lot of little gremlins lately, like one SD card slot failed, the battery has lost a bit of a charge and the EQ doesn't work with 24/96 and higher and DSD files

Jan 22, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #7,510 of 9,288
I'm coming from an X5 Gen 2 and for me it's a big upgrade in SQ, especially in balanced mode. The UI is obviously a huge improvement as well.
Using my Fiio FA7 on balanced mode, I hear the M11 as being more detailed with better instrument separation and imaging. It also sounds a lot smoother whilst having more detail than the X5II. I always found that the X5II being quite harsh at high frequencies.
But the main reason why I changed to an M11 is that my X5II has a lot of little gremlins lately, like one SD card slot failed, the battery has lost a bit of a charge and the EQ doesn't work with 24/96 and higher and DSD files

Thanks, useful info. Although I use a separate balanced amp with the X5ii in conjunction with my balanced earbuds when I'm away from home, I also use the player at home (without the amp) and the balanced option is attractive to make the most of my better quality buds.

Jan 22, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #7,511 of 9,288
For some time I'm looking for a perfect DAP but perfect doesn't exist. There are few features that I would like it to have but no DAP has it all. M11 is the closest to what I need but I have to face some compromises and try to work around some of the M11 cons.

- Is there a way to install support for LDAC (comes in Oreo 8.1 i think)
- Also Google Playstore would have been nice

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #7,514 of 9,288
Does the LDAC work when using M11 as a transmitter to ES100 for example? Stupid question I suppose, but just checking.

Also anyone tried installing Google apps?

Jan 22, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #7,515 of 9,288
Does the LDAC work when using M11 as a transmitter to ES100 for example? Stupid question I suppose, but just checking.

Also anyone tried installing Google apps?
Yes to the 1st question
Answer to the 2nd question is that it's not possible as you cannot access the play store at all due to lack of google play services compatibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back