[FiiO M11] Android 7.0, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output, Exynos 7872, Dual AK4493 DAC chips, 3GB RAM, WiFi, Two-way LDAC
Jan 17, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #7,486 of 9,270
Is Amazon Music working on the M11 with anyone? And what did you do to make that happen?

In my case, after installing and opening the app I very briefly see the log in screen before it is replaced by the message that my Chrome is not up to date, though I have the latest version.

So: no Amazon Music. Is this true? Or am I an exception? Is the app working with any of you on the M11?

I have no Tidal either (it keeps showing the revolving circle, clearly looking for something it can't find). But Spotify and Qobuz both work.

It shouldn't be such a hassle to have music apps running on a music player...
Its' true the Amazon app had a bug in its first incarnation, but that's supposed to be fixed and multiple M11 users have reported it working, but I can't vouch for it.
The Tidal app also never had any big problems like you describe in my use. Are you running current M11 firmware? Usual tips apply (reboot, maybe even reset he device).

Both tidal and amazon should work.

Jan 17, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #7,487 of 9,270
About music quality, something remains unclear for me:
  • When playing Qobuz Hi-Res, is it "downgraded" to CD quality or does it plays in the right resolution?
  • When using Fiio Music in Android Mode, are DSD/Hi-Res tracks downgraded to CD quality?
  • When using Fiio Music in Pure Mode, I guess files are played in full quality?
I remember reading in some threads a few years ago that Android was limited, I'm not sure if it's still the case with the M11/M11pro.
The question is if I should pay for a hi-res subscription on Qobuz, or if it's useless (I just use the M11 to listen to music).
Thanks to the experienced for your insights.

Jan 17, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #7,489 of 9,270
Is Amazon Music working on the M11 with anyone? And what did you do to make that happen?

In my case, after installing and opening the app I very briefly see the log in screen before it is replaced by the message that my Chrome is not up to date, though I have the latest version.

So: no Amazon Music. Is this true? Or am I an exception? Is the app working with any of you on the M11?

I have no Tidal either (it keeps showing the revolving circle, clearly looking for something it can't find). But Spotify and Qobuz both work.

It shouldn't be such a hassle to have music apps running on a music player...

Amazon MusicHD work just fine here. No problems now.

Jan 18, 2020 at 5:02 AM Post #7,490 of 9,270
Thanks for your reactions. But whatever I try I don't get Amazon Music to work. (I'm in France, no Amazon Music HD here yet.)

I have the latest firmware, downloaded Amazon from APKPure, updated Chrome, rebooted, but the result stays the same: while opening Amazon Music I get the message that an update to Chrome is required. Tapping on it does bring me to Chrome but not to the log in screen of Amazon Music. Perhaps one day I'll try the reset, if I am able to backup all my settings.

Jan 18, 2020 at 6:53 AM Post #7,491 of 9,270
Thanks for your reactions. But whatever I try I don't get Amazon Music to work. (I'm in France, no Amazon Music HD here yet.)

Ah, I think most of us were talking about the new HD music offering from Amazon and being able to play it. That is supposed to work. No idea about whatever the older "amazon music" experience is supposed to be on the M11, or if it works.

Jan 18, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #7,492 of 9,270
  • When playing Qobuz Hi-Res, is it "downgraded" to CD quality or does it plays in the right resolution?
  • When using Fiio Music in Android Mode, are DSD/Hi-Res tracks downgraded to CD quality?
I remember reading in some threads a few years ago that Android was limited, I'm not sure if it's still the case with the M11/M11pro.
The question is if I should pay for a hi-res subscription on Qobuz, or if it's useless (I just use the M11 to listen to music).

The Qobuz and Fiio apps are _supposed_ to play up to 24/192 rates as far as I know. Qobuz FLAC samples should not be downgraded for playback at all. In theory Qobuz should sound even better with its HiRes flac than Tidal MQA since the M11 doesn't support MQA advanced unfolding. I'm afraid it's wasted on me, my old ears and/or equipment don't pick up too much beyond CD quality. Anyway, there should be no downgrading on your M11 with the supported apps like Qobuz and FiiO. There are other apps that will use the stock android pathways and will not take full advantage of the hardware. I'm guessing if the app is in your FiiO applications folder as shipped from FiiO, they're supposed to be a HiRes experience.

Jan 18, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #7,493 of 9,270
1. You’d need to use android platform tools on your Mac or PC, and find a dumpsys media.audio_flinger log while playing back Qobuz to see if it doesn’t have resampling to Android’s usual 48kHz output sample rate.
2 & 3: Android Mode / Pure Music mode does not affect output sample rate capability. All it does it use the FiiO Music app itself in place of the typical android launcher.

Jan 20, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #7,496 of 9,270
After a factory reset both Tidal and Amazon Music now work.

The biggest headache doing the reset was Poweramp, otherwise a great music player. The settings that I had saved could not be reloaded/imported after the reset, so I had to do everything manually and by memory. Anyway, it's all behind us now.

Jan 20, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #7,499 of 9,270
I'm slowly reading through this thread, but I think I'll find what I want quicker by asking folks on here.

I'm a current X5ii user and see the M11 as a shiny must have device, but I doubt the sound quality is going to be much of an improvement. The X5ii is loaded with my flac collection and whilst I browse much on my phone, which I could do with the M11, I don't use any of the streaming services.

Bottom line and tl:dr, is it even worth an X5ii owner converting to the M11 on SQ alone?

Ta for any replies.

Jan 20, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #7,500 of 9,270
Is the front panel scratch resistant? I removed the screen protector just because there was a single speck of dust under it. Also, has anyone tried this screen protector (link)?

Yes, that's the same protector I picked up from Ebay. It's a perfect fit and matches the one that came from the factory. The one I purchased is on the back of my M11.

I'm slowly reading through this thread, but I think I'll find what I want quicker by asking folks on here.

I'm a current X5ii user and see the M11 as a shiny must have device, but I doubt the sound quality is going to be much of an improvement. The X5ii is loaded with my flac collection and whilst I browse much on my phone, which I could do with the M11, I don't use any of the streaming services.

Bottom line and tl:dr, is it even worth an X5ii owner converting to the M11 on SQ alone?

Ta for any replies.

For sound quality, barely any change. For performance though, massive gains. Such a smooth experience in comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back