[FiiO M11] Android 7.0, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output, Exynos 7872, Dual AK4493 DAC chips, 3GB RAM, WiFi, Two-way LDAC
Jun 7, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #2,341 of 9,288
i only hear hiss on the u12t's when i upscale to dsd

Jun 8, 2019 at 12:48 AM Post #2,342 of 9,288
Great news since I just ordered a pair from MassDrop. Im also loving the Phillips SHP 9500 and the Koss KSC75 with the M11. If your on a budget you can still find bargain phones that sound great on this player even through the unbalanced connector. Do you know if the T2 works with a balanced cable? I would like to have one balanced phone just to see what its like.
Ya I got a copper 4.4mm off AliExpress. It's been unreal so far. My only complaint is it's a little too short, but that's my fault for not checking length

Jun 8, 2019 at 2:40 AM Post #2,343 of 9,288
It might be that I have tested it only though regular unbalanced connection. I will have a balanced cable for the 99c soon so will definitely report back. However, having heard daps like iBasso DX90 or the ZX2, I wouldn't say the M11 is dead silent by any means.
i guess it depends what you call dead silent. I’m probably too deaf to notice :p

Jun 8, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #2,344 of 9,288
Just joined the party and been reading about hiss or no hiss, I thought it had hiss at first but then I found it was track recording related the dap with a decent recording seems pretty black to me... Using er4xr and fearless s6 rui.

Had mine about a day and just been trying the all to dsd function, anyone else tried this? Thoughts on it?... Oh and this thing is pretty killer very pleased.

Agree. I did some more testing last night and think the M11 just reveals any track/recording hiss more. Some tracks are total black so not just down to amp. Its very minor anyway.

Jun 8, 2019 at 2:53 AM Post #2,345 of 9,288
I consider it negligible on the M11 but it is there on some tracks.

Just put on Like A Slow River by Lull and can't hear any hiss.
So what you're saying is the hiss is in the recording? That’s a different issue altogether and speaks to poor mastering, not noise floor. I call it ‘tape hiss’ - not sure if that’s the right term. Has nothing to do with the M11 - on certain albums and tracks it’s quite evident on my black as night desktop system as well. Try Meiko’s ‘Playing Favorites’ or several tracks by Case/Lang/Veirs. This is not the same hiss I thought you were talking about with no music playing (not the silence between tracks). To that end, like I said, either I’m deaf or some of you are really, really sensitive to hiss. Like superhuman hearing sensitive.

From my own experience... the DX220 has some hiss too but it’s significantly less than the M11... granted the IEMs used makes this different for everyone.
Seriously irritates me when I read statements like ‘significantly less’ and ‘night and day’ when we’re talking about something that’s barely audible even in the most extreme conditions. What are you guys listening with, oscilloscopes!?

Jun 8, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #2,347 of 9,288
Only a few recordings hiss at the start and they do this with other players, most are silent with the M11. This is using Andro's to. Don't know how Fiio have done this for the price.
The question we should be asking is how other companies can and have been getting away with charging what they do for their so-called ‘high end’ daps? I think it’s great that FiiO have set the cat among the pigeons with the M11.

Jun 8, 2019 at 3:02 AM Post #2,349 of 9,288
Hmm, maybe I have a bad unit... With my Andromeda, the hiss (or noise floor) is audible especially in balanced. I stop a song, shhh..., then silent/mute. It's definitely not a TV static level noise but easily noticeable when it goes into mute. With my other IEMs, Hyla CE-5 (8.9 ohm) and Oriolus Mk2 (16 ohm), I don't get the hiss so it's all good.

On another note, I am really digging the sound of Andromeda out of M11. It's warm, great mids, enough resolution up top, really a joy to listen to!
This sounds to me like recorded hiss, not hardware hiss. If that’s the case and you’re not hearing it with other daps, it just means the M11/IEM combo you’re using is more resolving in the ‘hiss’ frequencies. This has nothing to do with noise floor, which is noise when no tracks are queued or playing.

Jun 8, 2019 at 3:12 AM Post #2,350 of 9,288
Agree. I did some more testing last night and think the M11 just reveals any track/recording hiss more. Some tracks are total black so not just down to amp. Its very minor anyway.
That’s the crux here - it’s track hiss/tape hiss. Nothing to do with the M11. If anything it means the M11 is more resolving than other daps. Same way the HD800 and a good amp are unforgiving of poor recordings. I’m sure there are other daps and many IEMs tuned to smooth over poor recordings with their warmer sound.

Jun 8, 2019 at 3:57 AM Post #2,352 of 9,288
Hmm, maybe I have a bad unit... With my Andromeda, the hiss (or noise floor) is audible especially in balanced. I stop a song, shhh..., then silent/mute. It's definitely not a TV static level noise but easily noticeable when it goes into mute. With my other IEMs, Hyla CE-5 (8.9 ohm) and Oriolus Mk2 (16 ohm), I don't get the hiss so it's all good.

On another note, I am really digging the sound of Andromeda out of M11. It's warm, great mids, enough resolution up top, really a joy to listen to!

To get enough power output , the gain is a little high and the hiss from balanced is a little higher than 3.5 single end. it is normal .

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 8, 2019 at 4:02 AM Post #2,353 of 9,288
I think this may have trashed so many higher end daps. Yes the dx220 and n6ii are probably a bit better. But for double the price. Not worth it. Get this and some moondrop Kanas pro and your set.

It's made me rethink the hobby. Prices have risen to much. I'm going back to what I enjoyed in the beginning. Low prices that punch high

Thanks Fiio. I started with x5iii and I've spent thousands since. Sod that now

Jun 8, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #2,354 of 9,288
I think this may have trashed so many higher end daps. Yes the dx220 and n6ii are probably a bit better. But for double the price. Not worth it. Get this and some moondrop Kanas pro and your set.

It's made me rethink the hobby. Prices have risen to much. I'm going back to what I enjoyed in the beginning. Low prices that punch high

Very true. It is no longer necesaary to spend thousands to get excellent sound quality.

Jun 8, 2019 at 5:11 AM Post #2,355 of 9,288

Agreed.. or this and some s6 rui IMG_20190608_095956.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back