[FiiO M11] Android 7.0, 2.5/3.5/4.4 Powerful Output, Exynos 7872, Dual AK4493 DAC chips, 3GB RAM, WiFi, Two-way LDAC
Jun 5, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #2,071 of 9,288
yea got it working and installed, it works now, how do i add cover files? seems like my flac files dont have music cover album

It'll depend on the way you sync the files, I use musicbee just for this as I can search the internet for covers and it'll sync with them.

Good luck hope I helped

Juj

Jun 5, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #2,074 of 9,288
I think it's taken for granted that the FiiO Music App is using M11's hardware. Why should it be advertised? Or did I miss something!? Using Neutron (or UAPP) is just necesary to "fine tune" the sound and sadly to get the tracks correctly ordered for example.
Not talking about FiiO Music - obviously that's going to bypass stock Android and natively play high-res music. Are you aware of SRC and what it means in the Android world?

In case you're not - or anyone else isn't - Android apps typically have to output audio through the Android audio stack, which uses SRC (Sample Rate Conversion) to resample/downsample all audio to 16/44.1 to standardise audio output for the huge number of Android devices out there. That means that playing back a high-res Flac file (24/96 for example) in a typical music app on Android only gets you 16/44.1 audio from your headphones, and potentially alters the quality of the original file as well because it goes through a resampling stage. That's why dap makers like HiBy make such a big song and dance about their audio bypass tech (in HiBy's case called Direct Transport Audio, or DTA), because ANY app you use on their daps are output in the correct bitrate, and not subject to SRC. This is exactly what @WianFiiO just casually claimed the M11 does as well, which is HUGE, because for the best part of a month myself and many other members on this forum have fished around for apps (like UAPP) that can bypass SRC and output true high-res audio from the M11 (in the case of UAPP and the likes of Neutron, using their own device-specific drivers). If the M11 natively bypasses SRC for every app, it means you don't need UAPP et al to enjoy high-res music; in fact Tidal MQA and high-res streaming via Plex is output as high-res.

Sure UAPP, Neutron and other music apps are better at playlists and rendering special characters and arranging songs and albums by Album Artists etc. etc. I use Poweramp for the same reasons. But those aren't the main reason people were seeking out those other apps - they wanted SRC bypass, and it turns out we've had this all along...

Jun 5, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #2,075 of 9,288
Not talking about FiiO Music - obviously that's going to bypass stock Android and natively play high-res music. Are you aware of SRC and what it means in the Android world?

In case you're not - or anyone else isn't - Android apps typically have to output audio through the Android audio stack, which uses SRC (Sample Rate Conversion) to resample/downsample all audio to 16/44.1 to standardise audio output for the huge number of Android devices out there. That means that playing back a high-res Flac file (24/96 for example) in a typical music app on Android only gets you 16/44.1 audio from your headphones, and potentially alters the quality of the original file as well because it goes through a resampling stage. That's why dap makers like HiBy make such a big song and dance about their audio bypass tech (in HiBy's case called Direct Transport Audio, or DTA), because ANY app you use on their daps are output in the correct bitrate, and not subject to SRC. This is exactly what @WianFiiO just casually claimed the M11 does as well, which is HUGE, because for the best part of a month myself and many other members on this forum have fished around for apps (like UAPP) that can bypass SRC and output true high-res audio from the M11 (in the case of UAPP and the likes of Neutron, using their own device-specific drivers). If the M11 natively bypasses SRC for every app, it means you don't need UAPP et al to enjoy high-res music; in fact Tidal MQA and high-res streaming via Plex is output as high-res.

Sure UAPP, Neutron and other music apps are better at playlists and rendering special characters and arranging songs and albums by Album Artists etc. etc. I use Poweramp for the same reasons. But those aren't the main reason people were seeking out those other apps - they wanted SRC bypass, and it turns out we've had this all along...

Excellent work bro thanks

Juj

Jun 5, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #2,076 of 9,288
It'll depend on the way you sync the files, I use musicbee just for this as I can search the internet for covers and it'll sync with them.

Good luck hope I helped

Juj
You can also use a music app that automatically (or manually) downloads album cover art for you, like Poweramp.

Jun 5, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #2,078 of 9,288
Jun 5, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #2,080 of 9,288
Does anyone know of a case and excuse my ignorance but with a flip cover like one would get for a phone.........................:)

Remember no such thing as a stupid question LOL

Juj

Jun 5, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #2,081 of 9,288
Sometimes happens :) I feel spotify highest quality setting quite good with fiio. Listening with m9 much of the time offline downloaded and it isnt bad after all. And this is the cheapest way to get all your cards full of music this day. And m11 combo should be joy to use with spotify or tidal. But i really think m11 worth much better quality music than spotify able to give. Even m9 is able to show lower rate music problems. So this is only for quantity not quality. And your Fh7 should be pure joy with good mastered quality traks
Yes, Spotify offline sounds pretty good with the higher quality files. But I am really wowed by Qobuz and its offline hi-res playback. I've listened to the 25th anniversary edition of "Graceland" three times through already! I ditched Tidal and won't look back.

Jun 5, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #2,082 of 9,288
Here is one irksome problem I have with the FiiO app. It sounds great and it's fast, but I'm frustrated at the inability to correct tags. Loading all of my files to the player has revealed some glitches; for example, an album might appear twice with 12 tracks on one version and 1 track on the other. The problem turns out to be that the album title for the orphan track has "The" instead of "the."

FiiO music app doesn't have the ability to edit tags or metadata. Poweramp does. So I can edit the tag on the offending track and then rescan the folder in the FiiO app. No change.

The only way to correct the problem is to delete the folder or files, fix the tags on my Mac, reload the files, and then rescan. It is a lot of work just to change "T" to "t"!

This might be my own inexperience with FiiO products/apps. If anyone has suggestions I am all ears.

Jun 5, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #2,083 of 9,288
DSC_0237[2].JPG Could we get the search bar on the right hand side enlarged ever so slightly as my ape fingers cant access is easy sorry.

Juj

Jun 5, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #2,084 of 9,288

Wait, I think I misunderstood FiiO's post. Of course I'm familiar with the SRC / resampling and everything. But I indeed missed that they're not talking about FiiO Music App but the "whole" system, right? That's good news indeed. Anyways I don't think it should be advertised. I guess every Android DAP in the market with a Hi-Res certification does that, otherwise whats the point? Also, the system "bypassing" the named default Android SRC doesnt mean the app of your choice hasnst resampled first. But I guess you can trust FiiO Music App, Neutron and UAPP. Poweramp I'm not sure since you guys said it resamples everything by default (whether or not this affects the sound)?

Jun 5, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #2,085 of 9,288
Wait, I think I misunderstood FiiO's post. Of course I'm familiar with the SRC / resampling and everything. But I indeed missed that they're not talking about FiiO Music App but the "whole" system, right? That's good news indeed. Anyways I don't think it should be advertised. I guess every Android DAP in the market with a Hi-Res certification does that, otherwise whats the point? Also, the system "bypassing" the named default Android SRC doesnt mean the app of your choice hasnst resampled first. But I guess you can trust FiiO Music App, Neutron and UAPP. Poweramp I'm not sure since you guys said it resamples everything by default (whether or not this affects the sound)?
Yes exactly, that's why I got so excited. Indeed much of it still comes down to the app. If you're using an app that's coded to output via the Android SRC in the first place, there's not much the M11's 'bypass' can do about it. Poweramp does indeed resample, but its high-res mode (if available on your device - and it's recently been made available on the M11) bypasses SRC and does its own sophisticated conversions. Whether or not you think the quality is better or worse than FiiO Music's 'native' output is debatable - personally I can't hear much of a difference at all, and sometimes one or the other sounds a little better. That's probably placebo, tip position, mood, time of day - all those psychoacoustic factors coming into play.

If you're interested in the whole SRC and SRC-bypass story, I recently found an article (that has been only partly translated from Chinese) written by someone at HiBy that explains why DTA is useful and necessary (and also why Poweramp is different to many apps). Worth a read: https://bzdww.com/article/136401/. As for "I guess every Android DAP in the market with a Hi-Res certification does that, otherwise whats the point?" - the point is that not every Android dap bypasses SRC natively, as far as I know, outside of its 'native app' (like FiiO Music in the case of the M11). And that's why companies like HiBy fly the flags of their bypass tech high and wide, and why I was completely surprised when Wian casually mentioned the M11 does this as well. It's not a given - I'm not even sure all of the higher-end flagships can do this.

Edit: seems from the article linked above (and posts by @Joe Bloggs) that HiBy Music is the only (or one of the only) free apps that completely bypasses SRC, similar to UAPP. I'm personally not a fan of Hiby Music's UI, but the SQ its very good and MSEB should be copied or licensed by every other music app developer if you ask me (so much more intuitive than an EQ). Anyway, just thought I'd add that here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back