[FiiO KA17] Mini desktop-class amp, flagship dongle is officially released!
Mar 29, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #481 of 673
Also agree - the ka17 is far warmer than the previous ka3 I have used.

The only negative for me with the ka17 is the usb c cable which is a downgrade from the one which came with the ka3 - I was having some random disconnections with the original and have swapped it out for the earlier cable from the ka3 and not experienced any problems since.

Ka17 is so much more refined than the colder ka3 which I found fatiguing whilst listening to DSD tracks
how would you compare the KA5 to the KA17?

Mar 29, 2024 at 11:25 AM Post #482 of 673
how would you compare the KA5 to the KA17?
Sorry matey I don't have any experience with the KA5. I moved away from the KA3 back back to my trusty Chord mojo 1 for a while until the KA17 became available. I'm just happy I can get somewhere close the the chord unit with fiio as it got a bit cumbersome carrying the mojo about velcroed to the back of my phone case.

I'm pleased with my current setup running the KA17 with fiio iem's.

Mar 30, 2024 at 2:57 AM Post #483 of 673
This video from AndyAudioVault talks about both DACs. If you’re only interested in a direct comparison between the two, you can check the video from 23:13 onward; it discusses the difference between their sound signatures and overall listening experience.

Overall, it’s a very well-done review in my opinion. I hope it helps you make a decision!

thank you for advice! i watched it already tho :beerchug:

Mar 31, 2024 at 1:14 AM Post #485 of 673
before i hit the buy button maybe some owners could share their experiences with what exactly becomes worse regarding soundquality, when used in non desktop mode in lower gain settings and how this affects battery life of my phone.

For example if i drive medium demanding iems from it in low or medium gain, will i reach soundquality levels (specially soundstage) of other dongles that lets say only have 100mw on the single ended and 200mw on the balaced outputs?
Will it be comparabel to those dongles or worse regarding battery consumption?

Honestly 2/3 of my iems and earbuds are single ended and have non detachable cables and when i am out and about i keep things lightweight and small. Additional powerpacks are a no no for me in that scenario which is the main usecase of a dongle for me.

I wrote about KA17 with and without desktop mode when paired with Symphonium Crimson (6ohm, 84dB/mW) in my review of another dongle (scroll down to the comparison section).

Interestingly, the sound changes but the loudness didn’t change much, if at all, when switching to and from desktop mode. I much prefer desktop mode with the Crimson.

Mar 31, 2024 at 1:14 PM Post #487 of 673
Can I ask you if, considering the latest changes to the firmware, does it actually make sense to update or not the KA17?

Mar 31, 2024 at 10:19 PM Post #488 of 673
What does bypass mode on the KA17 eq do? Does it affect the sound?? The KA17 will not allow my phone to play music if I turn the EQ to off. It has to be on bypass to work??? Any suggestions??
Dear friend,

When swtiching EQ from Bypass to other EQ, the music will not pause. When switching EQ from OFF to other EQ, the music will pause. When playing MQA or DSD files, the EQ option need to be switched to OFF.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 1, 2024 at 1:29 AM Post #489 of 673
I want a 6 or 9V swing instead of 4.5V swing, but for right now the KA 17 is a decent "desktop" mode-handwarmer.
Voltage swing of FiiO KA17 is 12.7 VP-P

4.5 Vrms = 12.7 VP-P

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 9:17 PM Post #490 of 673
Voltage swing of FiiO KA17 is 12.7 V peak-to-peak.

4.5 VRMS = 12.7 voltage swing peak-to-peak.
What's the voltage swing of the 3.5mm output in desktop mode?

Apr 1, 2024 at 11:42 PM Post #492 of 673
Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 5:58 AM Post #494 of 673
Voltage swing determine how loud the headphone can get. However, don't forget KA17, even when powered by external Type C source, still operates on a 5V USB power rail. Generally the quickest way is to flip the USB power rail into +5V / -5V rail which that amp section can work to generate a voltage swing between that. But since some power will be wasted to generate the + / - voltage rail, you won't be getting the whole +5V / -5V but less. Most of the time manufacturers will instead opt to split 5V into +2.5V / -2.5V as it is easier to do when you don't need to up-convert the voltage, hence why you typically see less than 2V of output on USB audio devices and especially dongles. Anything more than +5V / -5V will increase noise and circuit size too much that likely won't worth the effort nor fit inside a dongle sized device due to the limitation of USB power. That why if you really need a lot of voltage swing, better look for a battery powered DAC/amp instead.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back