[FiiO KA17] Mini desktop-class amp, flagship dongle is officially released!
Mar 25, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #451 of 639
"15 mins on desktop mode high gain and high volume. The KA17 hits over temp warning and stops working temporarily. So I don't think it's an Ideal and kinda stupid that it's not usable* I do use them on higher volume but your milage may vary."

Oh, thats not good.

Mar 25, 2024 at 2:21 PM Post #453 of 639
Does anyone know how these filters affect the sound?
MINI
MINI-SD
MINI-S
MINI-F
SLOW
FAST-R
FAST
FASt
filters are a very complicated topic to describe. best is to try and choose what you like best honestly. the few descriptions you can find online are more or less contradictory. keep in mind that filters come from the dac manufacturers for the most part. so a apodizing fast roll off in an ess dac is probably different to a similar named on another manufacturers dac. if you cant hear any differences (which most cant) just stick with the default.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #454 of 639
filters are a very complicated topic to describe. best is to try and choose what you like best honestly. the few descriptions you can find online are more or less contradictory. keep in mind that filters come from the dac manufacturers for the most part. so a apodizing fast roll off in an ess dac is probably different to a similar named on another manufacturers dac. if you cant hear any differences (which most cant) just stick with the default.
I agree! At best they will change the upper treble response in slightly different ways so you may not hear anything different - a bad implementation can affect other aspects of the frequency response but they are DAC manufacturers implementations and those are much better than they used to be

Mar 25, 2024 at 10:29 PM Post #455 of 639
@Osaris I'd RMA with that behavior. I basically exclusively use desktop mode and haven't gotten a single temperature warning ever.

Mar 27, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #456 of 639
For people who own both devices, could you please tell me how the KA17 compares to the BTR15 in terms of technicalities and sound signature? I currently own a BTR15. Would the KA17 be an upgrade over it, or just a sidegrade?

Mar 27, 2024 at 8:07 PM Post #457 of 639
Today I had the pleasure of demoing the KA17 alongside a few high end headphones, and my personal IER-M9 iem.

I was really impressed by the build quality and sound, the little details like the volume bar slowly fading away to show the bitrate is a great little touch. It feels like a solid well built device.

It had plenty of power for the headphones, on high gain through single ended, it was able to push them to near deafening levels. I didint even try the Desktop mode! Crazy amounts of power

And as for sound I’m very happy to hear that the Low end is sweeter, more complete. My KA3 sounded too clinical to my taste but this gives it the life I was looking for.

I’ll definitely be picking up one soon, great job. FiiO! I’m looking forward to that micro battery pack attachment :wink:
IMG_0885.jpeg
IMG_0886.jpeg

Mar 28, 2024 at 1:15 AM Post #458 of 639
Mar 28, 2024 at 2:57 AM Post #460 of 639
Finally ordered a KA17 and was going to grab an Anker Nano power bank to pair with it like a couple of other users have posted in this thread.

But an official one that sits perfectly flush would definitely be preferable, so a yes please from me as well!

Can you consider increasing the size slightly though, FiiO? Noticed that your proposed prototype is only 600mAh which I can't see lasting more than a couple of hours with the KA17's power output in desktop mode.

What about just making it the same size as the KA17 itself and doubling the proposedbattery capacity... Is that possible? Thanks.

ka17.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 3:22 AM Post #461 of 639
Finally ordered a KA17 and was going to grab an Anker Nano power bank to pair with it like a couple of other users have posted in this thread.

But an official one that sits perfectly flush would definitely be preferable, so a yes please from me as well!

Can you consider increasing the size slightly though, FiiO? Noticed that your proposed prototype is only 600mAh which I can't see lasting more than a couple of hours with the KA17's power output in desktop mode.

What about just making it the same size as the KA17 itself and doubling the proposedbattery capacity... Is that possible? Thanks.

ka17.jpg
Dear friend,

Hi, thanks for the kind feedback. We will also report your feedback to the product team.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 28, 2024 at 3:53 AM Post #462 of 639

ka17.jpg
what a cool and neat idea! that would be a must buy! thank you for the visualization!

Mar 28, 2024 at 9:39 PM Post #465 of 639
The power bank would be an instant buy for me as well. If Fiio is going to discontinue the Q line of battery-powered DAC/amps, then I like the idea of the dongle line having an optional battery; that would make the KA17 more of a true "desktop replacement" for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back