[FiiO KA17] Mini desktop-class amp, flagship dongle is officially released!
Mar 29, 2024 at 6:10 AM Post #470 of 657
before i hit the buy button maybe some owners could share their experiences with what exactly becomes worse regarding soundquality, when used in non desktop mode in lower gain settings and how this affects battery life of my phone.

For example if i drive medium demanding iems from it in low or medium gain, will i reach soundquality levels (specially soundstage) of other dongles that lets say only have 100mw on the single ended and 200mw on the balaced outputs?
Will it be comparabel to those dongles or worse regarding battery consumption?

Honestly 2/3 of my iems and earbuds are single ended and have non detachable cables and when i am out and about i keep things lightweight and small. Additional powerpacks are a no no for me in that scenario which is the main usecase of a dongle for me.

Mar 29, 2024 at 6:16 AM Post #471 of 657
before i hit the buy button maybe some owners could share their experiences with what exactly becomes worse regarding soundquality, when used in non desktop mode in lower gain settings and how this affects battery life of my phone.

For example if i drive medium demanding iems from it in low or medium gain, will i reach soundquality levels (specially soundstage) of other dongles that lets say only have 100mw on the single ended and 200mw on the balaced outputs?

Honestly 2/3 of my iems and earbuds are single ended and have non detachable cables and when i am out and about i keep things lightweight and small. Additional powerpacks are a no no for me in that scenario which is the main usecase of a dongle for me.
Ka17 doesn't sound different to me on desktop mode compared to it turned off. My most demanding iems happen to be planars and this runs them and planar headphones too just fine but it may over heat on desktop mode with gain and vol on max with planar headphones . It's small but the ka13 would be better for iems if you don't care for peq. This one is not great to pocket imo.

Mar 29, 2024 at 6:27 AM Post #472 of 657
Ka17 doesn't sound different to me on desktop mode compared to it turned off. My most demanding iems happen to be planars and this runs them and planar headphones too just fine but it may over heat on desktop mode with gain and vol on max with planar headphones . It's small but the ka13 would be better for iems if you don't care for peq. This one is not great to pocket imo.
wow, that was fast and precise, thank you! i dont need any eq but read the ka13 sounds thin borderline anemic compared to the ka17 and has a much smaller soundstage, which is a show stopper for me. Also i own the BTR15 which might sound pretty close to the k13. i could stick with this one but it is far too flawed for daily use and i just want another non bt dongle out of curiosity and fun too.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 6:38 AM Post #474 of 657
I agree if you prefer a warmer sound the KA17 is better than the ka13.
Also agree - the ka17 is far warmer than the previous ka3 I have used.

The only negative for me with the ka17 is the usb c cable which is a downgrade from the one which came with the ka3 - I was having some random disconnections with the original and have swapped it out for the earlier cable from the ka3 and not experienced any problems since.

Ka17 is so much more refined than the colder ka3 which I found fatiguing whilst listening to DSD tracks

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #477 of 657
finally someone using included usb cables :gs1000smile::beerchug:
I use included cables as well, but my collection of dongle cables resemble a free love commune… they’re all living harmoniously together happily swapping partners with no memory of who they were originally partnered with 😂. Other that the very distinctive iFi dongle’s cable, they’re hard to keep organized!

Mar 29, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #479 of 657
I use included cables as well, but my collection of dongle cables resemble a free love commune… they’re all living harmoniously together happily swapping partners with no memory of who they were originally partnered with 😂. Other that the very distinctive iFi dongle’s cable, they’re hard to keep organized!
The ifi dongle cable is the best sound quality wise for me though. I find that even ka5 and ka17 benefit from it.

Mar 29, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #480 of 657

This video from AndyAudioVault talks about both DACs. If you’re only interested in a direct comparison between the two, you can check the video from 23:13 onward; it discusses the difference between their sound signatures and overall listening experience.

Overall, it’s a very well-done review in my opinion. I hope it helps you make a decision!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back