[FiiO KA17] Mini desktop-class amp, flagship dongle is officially released!
Feb 2, 2024 at 9:26 AM Post #106 of 689
Feb 2, 2024 at 12:04 PM Post #107 of 689
I have a few of those in my drawer....

What's your view on the KA17 comparing to the RU7 and W4?

In normal mode, I think KA17 can just about rival any lesser top-tier or upper 2nd-tier USB dongles. In external-powered desktop mode, I think it can pretty much equal any top-tier USB dongle in performance, and excel in one particular area - its tightness/control/output power. The harder, and more demanding the headphone is, the easier that you will notice KA17's advantage over other USB dongles. The overall signature is clean, and transparent, with a very grand and opened stage/image that is more desktop-like than dongle-like. The other USB dongle that shares a fairly similar presentation is the iBasso DC-Elite, except KA17 offers just a little bit more punch.

Feb 2, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #108 of 689
Could you do a sound comparison with M11 Plus? I wonder what is the equivalent among normal DAP players if we compare only the sound.
I did last night for a quick AB and I thought they were pretty comparable but that the M11 was slightly better is overall resolution but it seemed very close. I'll try and so some more critical listening this weekend and report back.

Feb 2, 2024 at 10:42 PM Post #110 of 689
I can enable desktop mode when I dont have an external power source. Does this mean it will just pull from the phone and will power the desktop mode from my phone?

I'd like to know this too. I can't imagine desktop is running properly without the external power source.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 10:54 PM Post #111 of 689
In normal mode, I think KA17 can just about rival any lesser top-tier or upper 2nd-tier USB dongles. In external-powered desktop mode, I think it can pretty much equal any top-tier USB dongle in performance, and excel in one particular area - its tightness/control/output power. The harder, and more demanding the headphone is, the easier that you will notice KA17's advantage over other USB dongles. The overall signature is clean, and transparent, with a very grand and opened stage/image that is more desktop-like than dongle-like. The other USB dongle that shares a fairly similar presentation is the iBasso DC-Elite, except KA17 offers just a little bit more punch.
Thanks. Based on that, I just pulled the trigger to try for myself :sweat_smile:

Feb 3, 2024 at 10:27 AM Post #114 of 689
Desktop mode does not require the secondary usb port connected if the source device supplies enough power. Many android do, iphone do not.

Thanks! I’d be using it with a laptop, so that shouldn’t be a concern.

I think I will order this. I haven't owned a dongle DAC since the Audioquest Dragonfly Red, and it'd be nice to own one with its own dedicated volume control and ouput power similar to the Chord Mojo 2.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 6:35 PM Post #115 of 689
Does anyone else have issues with it not working with an iPhone (lightning models) with MQA turned off? Audio only plays if MQA is set on so I can’t use any built in EQ presets as well.

Feb 3, 2024 at 10:26 PM Post #119 of 689
What type of external power supply can I use with ka17?

Judging from the power draw, any USB power source that is capable of 500mA and over should be sufficient. But to be on the safe side, I do recommend a PD compatible power source

Feb 4, 2024 at 2:19 AM Post #120 of 689
Does anyone else have issues with it not working with an iPhone (lightning models) with MQA turned off? Audio only plays if MQA is set on so I can’t use any built in EQ presets as well.
Dear friend,

After turning off the MQA function and selecting EQ, please try to adjust the volume of your iPhone to higher level to see whether the issue remains?

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back