FiiO K9 Pro Hi-Fi DeskDop DAC&Bluetooth&Amplifier,XLR/RCA/4.4/Optical/Coaxial interface
Apr 22, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #1,576 of 2,223
I got my k9 ess and also connect liquid platinum I like using k9 as pre to my LP and prefer zmf headphone on it than the thx amp on k9
Haven’t tried other headphone on it
But I think I am getting the best of both worlds in terms of tubes and solid state with the headphone i got
happy listening :)

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #1,577 of 2,223
I got my k9 ess and also connect liquid platinum I like using k9 as pre to my LP and prefer zmf headphone on it than the thx amp on k9
Haven’t tried other headphone on it
But I think I am getting the best of both worlds in terms of tubes and solid state with the headphone ring got
happy listening :)
Where you using the balanced output for the ZMFs?*Curious*

Apr 22, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #1,579 of 2,223
Got my K9 Pro ESS in yesterday and have the same issue. Only really happens when opening and playing tidal. If I go through any other sources, never seems to be an issue.

Go into tidal, bam, no sound. Have to restart fiio to get any sound again. It’s something internal to the amp causing the stop, it is software that triggers the issue but software cannot fix the issue. Only restart of the amp or changing inputs then go back to USB.

This is on a brand new windows 11 custom built PC. 12700k, 32gig DDR5 and 3090TI. I am an IT professional for a living and this issue is likely going to make me return this amp for a matrix mini i 3 pro (even though it’s output impedance is terrible).

Edit:it’s likely MQA that’s causing issue, problem is that even when I disable it in software, the problem still happens with Dac. The software tries to force control but even when you disable all its features it still causes random problems.
@FiiO do you have any insight on this?

Apr 22, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #1,580 of 2,223
For me I prefer to use the Fiio via Bluetooth using my android as my source. I like the EQ on the Fiio app.

My question is why anytime I pause a track (any streaming service), when I hit play again, the audio skips until I toggle Bluetooth off and on again.
Is there a fix for this?

Apr 22, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #1,581 of 2,223
Anyone use the optical connection on the ESS? I have tried 3 cables, all of which fall right out and down clip in. I’m starting to think my amp has an issue with the optical connection.

Apr 23, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #1,582 of 2,223
Anyone use the optical connection on the ESS? I have tried 3 cables, all of which fall right out and down clip in. I’m starting to think my amp has an issue with the optical connection.
IMG_20220423_095135.jpg

It not only fits well but it is one of the tightest fits I have ever experienced.
Cable is a cheapo Stagg Pro.

Apr 23, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #1,583 of 2,223
IMG_20220423_095135.jpg
It not only fits well but it is one of the tightest fits I have ever experienced.
Cable is a cheapo Stagg Pro.
Thanks for the reply, as I feared, it seems as my amp has a defective port. Tried another cable an no lock, just falls out.

Apr 23, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #1,584 of 2,223
Very interesting to read that the tastes are so different. Some prefer AKM and other ESS. But apart from that it seems the K9 Pro has still some hardware/software issues which are pretty annoying and keep me from buying.

Apr 23, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #1,585 of 2,223
Very interesting to read that the tastes are so different. Some prefer AKM and other ESS. But apart from that it seems the K9 Pro has still some hardware/software issues which are pretty annoying and keep me from buying.
Between this software sound cutout and this optical port issue. I think I’m returning and going matrix mini i pro 3. I need an all in one solution for my space.

Apr 23, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #1,586 of 2,223
Between this software sound cutout and this optical port issue. I think I’m returning and going matrix mini i pro 3. I need an all in one solution for my space.

that might be the best thing for you.....take care now.

I love mine.

Apr 23, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #1,587 of 2,223
that might be the best thing for you.....take care now.

I love mine.
It’s maddening because this thing is perfect otherwise. The sound cuts out every time I go from listening to something to using tidal and back. It’s ridiculous. I have to switch through inputs or power cycle to get any sound back,

Apr 23, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #1,588 of 2,223
Just curous how long did it take to break in the K9 pro ess? Since the slam and texture was decently weak when I demoed it. Planing on going back later this week to see what the burn in has done to the sound.
The unit I tried I think got burned in for 50 hours. ESS version for me deliver more solid impact/bite in sound compared to AKM.

Still, not as "joyful" or aggressive as if I connected it to Burson Soloist 3XP though. The pairing with Burson provide more spacious soundstage (width and depth), and overall character become more "powerful".

Anyway, today I able to compared K9 Pro ESS vs direct from M17. Source using M17, then with usb cable into K9 Pro. Headphone tested was Hifiman Ananda Stealth Magnet.

Not a surprise that both really close in term of sound character. K9 Pro produce a little sweeter and fuller body through vocal and bass. Note: A little.

M17 able to provide cleaner black background, and (also a little) more micro detail through all spectrum. I think power supply become the maim difference here. Battery in M17 can produce cleaner electricity. No fancy power cable for K9 Pro (it was generic cheap $5 power cable).

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #1,589 of 2,223
The unit I tried I think got burned in for 50 hours. ESS version for me deliver more solid impact/bite in sound compared to AKM.

Still, not as "joyful" or aggressive as if I connected it to Burson Soloist 3XP though. The pairing with Burson provide more spacious soundstage (width and depth), and overall character become more "powerful".

Anyway, today I able to compared K9 Pro ESS vs direct from M17. Source using M17, then with usb cable into K9 Pro. Headphone tested was Hifiman Ananda Stealth Magnet.

Not a surprise that both really close in term of sound character. K9 Pro produce a little sweeter and fuller body through vocal and bass. Note: A little.

M17 able to provide cleaner black background, and (also a little) more micro detail through all spectrum. I think power supply become the maim difference here. Battery in M17 can produce cleaner electricity. No fancy power cable for K9 Pro (it was generic cheap $5 power cable).
Thanks alot for the info. Got the chance to do another A/B with the AKM/ESS with DX300 as the transport. Using SRH1840 as the testing headphone as well as my personal AWKT.

At lest for me the AKM version still wins hands down at producing good vocal and string/wind microdetail over the ESS version. The way I see it the AKM has the clear advantage over the bottom 1/2 of the FR and the ESS the top 1/2. That being said its like ESS version has this high pass where when staring into the abyss there is nothing. Makes the sound leaner and cleaner as result I think. But as a result alot of the vocals feel artifically smoothed and has this almost planar like sound to the vocals. That way esp with nordic inspired music that has quiet abit of reverb and layering to the sound the AKM version just wins. I feel that the ESS version goes quite abit better with american metal where it "cleans" up the messy low end and lets you focus on what matters which is mostly the electric guitars, the leaner sound works better with the sharpness of the notes as well.

But yeah its mostly nitpicking and honestly I could live with either.

The real affront to my ears is the M17 with how muddy it sounds, and it cant be a lack of burn in as well as the store owner was using it as a burn in machine for the new cables. But its likely just me chasing a lean sound that works with J-core, euro-sympo metal, operatic vocals and american country music.

Apr 28, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #1,590 of 2,223
Finally hooked up the K9 Pro AKM to my Purifi Balanced amp. With the K9 in Preamp mode, I noticed the gain switch can be adjusted from low gain to medium gain. The high gain setting does nothing though. What are the gain levels for the low and medium setting? The manual says this switch should not work in preamp mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back