FiiO K9 Pro Hi-Fi DeskDop DAC&Bluetooth&Amplifier,XLR/RCA/4.4/Optical/Coaxial interface
Apr 21, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #1,561 of 2,233
Web is your best friend.
You can start from here
https://darko.audio/2019/03/what-is-electrical-noise-and-how-does-it-affect-your-dac/
And then do some search.
Now I wouldn't consider a streamer as a strange device to waste your money but you can always follow @ferorake advice and stick with your PC. (at least I hope that it is fanless...)
I have seen those posts bro earlier but I was not able to visualise how that affect sound quality like does it make more analytical or bass feel more refined etc.
I am think about ifi streamer, it fit the size i am looking for but do not how it will affect my sound output from k9.

Earlier I wanted a streamer to create a network storage. But that I can also do with cheap network storage as well or customise the a mini pc with a storage. But I heard lot of time music streamers improve sound, but none explained how. So was looking for your experience with ifi streamer how it affect the music you listen to?
I dont call these snake oil as I know how much effort are required to built them.

Apr 21, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #1,562 of 2,233
@Moon5123

It's been more than 5 years that I am out of the PC and I am using dedicated streamers.
I am not going to argue or explain the benefits, I am not in the mood to start a flame discussion.
Every streamer that I have reviewed/owned/used improved various aspects in music listening, from clarity, definition, silence, blacker background to overall timbre.
And, no, not all streamers sound alike, there are certainly audible differences.
You don't have to spend a lot money for something branded.
Since you are a PC engineer you can set a cost effective RPI streamer and experience the difference by yourself.
If you can't hear differences, you are blessed my man, you are going to save a lot of money and time!
And don't start asking me about ASR measurements etc, I am not going to enter a discussion.
I belong to the camp that not everything that measures can be measured and not everything that measures it really counts.

Now , please let's end the off topic.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #1,563 of 2,233
@Moon5123

It's been more than 5 years that I am out of the PC and I am using dedicated streamers.
I am not going to argue or explain the benefits, I am not in the mood to start a flame discussion.
Every streamer that I have reviewed/owned/used improved various aspects in music listening, from clarity, definition, silence, blacker background to overall timbre.
And, no, not all streamers sound alike, there are certainly audible differences.
You don't have to spend a lot money for something branded.
Since you are a PC engineer you can set a cost effective RPI streamer and experience the difference by yourself.
If you can't hear differences, you are blessed my man, you are going to save a lot of money and time!
And don't start asking me about ASR measurements etc, I am not going to enter a discussion.
I belong to the camp that not everything that measures can be measured and not everything that measures it really counts.

Now , please let's end the off topic.
Thanks that's informative, I am not looking for any measurements from you.
Thats enough thanks dude, I will try out ifi streamer. I guess thats the next step in the audiophile journey.

Apr 21, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #1,564 of 2,233
Apr 22, 2022 at 6:01 AM Post #1,565 of 2,233
hey guys, wanna ask do you recommend K9 pro with ananda? I have been listening to music only by using ifi hip dac only via 4.4mm all these time, how is the synergy of ananda with K9 pro if anyone here been using this setup? thanks2

Apr 22, 2022 at 6:29 AM Post #1,566 of 2,233
hey guys, wanna ask do you recommend K9 pro with ananda? I have been listening to music only by using ifi hip dac only via 4.4mm all these time, how is the synergy of ananda with K9 pro if anyone here been using this setup? thanks2
Not sure about Ananda I been using sundara and for k9 tame the high energy and edginess of it. Basically sundara sound really good with k9.
So I think it will sound best with any plannar like Ananda.

Apr 22, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #1,567 of 2,233
I have heard that the K9 is boosted in the bass. Is this true or is it neutral? Thanks.
It's not boosted, but it does make it fuller and gives better dynamics IMHO.
I've made some tests with other amps and dongles, and I really do hear a distinct difference. It's not like it is louder, but it has more body, especially kick drums. It makes my 2021 Sundara way more enjoyable.

Apr 22, 2022 at 7:30 AM Post #1,568 of 2,233
I just got the k9 pro desktop ess for PC use. Has anyone had issues with drivers? Sometimes when I switch sources (from YT to Tidal etc) -- the scroll wheel changes colors flashing between green,blue,purple, and i don't hear any audio after. Super strange issue.
Got my K9 Pro ESS in yesterday and have the same issue. Only really happens when opening and playing tidal. If I go through any other sources, never seems to be an issue.

Go into tidal, bam, no sound. Have to restart fiio to get any sound again. It’s something internal to the amp causing the stop, it is software that triggers the issue but software cannot fix the issue. Only restart of the amp or changing inputs then go back to USB.

This is on a brand new windows 11 custom built PC. 12700k, 32gig DDR5 and 3090TI. I am an IT professional for a living and this issue is likely going to make me return this amp for a matrix mini i 3 pro (even though it’s output impedance is terrible).

Edit:it’s likely MQA that’s causing issue, problem is that even when I disable it in software, the problem still happens with Dac. The software tries to force control but even when you disable all its features it still causes random problems.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #1,570 of 2,233
Whoa guys, K9 Pro ESS is a truly beast. For the price I think it's the true killer product.

For around a year, topping d90se is my benchmark for dac (under $1500).

However, as dac standalone, actually I prefer K9 Sabre now. Both have terrific detail, separation, black background, and soundstage accuracy. However k9 pull ahead with more realistic depth perception, and also more natural tonality. This come with slight cheaper price and excellent 2W amp, where D90SE is only dac.

Internal amplifier definitely deliver more juice needed for Planar like Hifiman Arya, or high impedance ZMF Verite. Even Diana TC actually sounds ok direct from K9 Sabre.

note: Personally K9 AKM is a bit disappointing for me, sound soft, "weak" impact/bite, and not as clean as D90SE.

Apr 22, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #1,571 of 2,233
The K9 ESS is no slouch when it is used as a standalone DAC.
I am now on the review period and between others, I have hooked it to a 6K+ 2 channel system and I must say that the K9 is an excellent performer and up to the task.
OK, it will not go to replace a high end DAC but for a mainstream speaker system is just perfect.

Apr 22, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #1,572 of 2,233
Whoa guys, K9 Pro ESS is a truly beast. For the price I think it's the true killer product.

For around a year, topping d90se is my benchmark for dac (under $1500).

However, as dac standalone, actually I prefer K9 Sabre now. Both have terrific detail, separation, black background, and soundstage accuracy. However k9 pull ahead with more realistic depth perception, and also more natural tonality. This come with slight cheaper price and excellent 2W amp, where D90SE is only dac.

Internal amplifier definitely deliver more juice needed for Planar like Hifiman Arya, or high impedance ZMF Verite. Even Diana TC actually sounds ok direct from K9 Sabre.

note: Personally K9 AKM is a bit disappointing for me, sound soft, "weak" impact/bite, and not as clean as D90SE.
Just curous how long did it take to break in the K9 pro ess? Since the slam and texture was decently weak when I demoed it. Planing on going back later this week to see what the burn in has done to the sound.

Apr 22, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #1,573 of 2,233
Just curous how long did it take to break in the K9 pro ess? Since the slam and texture was decently weak when I demoed it. Planing on going back later this week to see what the burn in has done to the sound.
Slam is the strengths of the K9 ESS.
At least as a DAC since I haven't go deep into headphone listening yet.
My unit is burned for 150+ hours but I can't comment if the procedure was beneficial or not since I never listen or monitor it.

Apr 22, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #1,574 of 2,233
Slam is the strengths of the K9 ESS.
At least as a DAC since I haven't go deep into headphone listening yet.
My unit is burned for 150+ hours but I can't comment if the procedure was beneficial or not since I never listen or monitor it.
Interesting, does texture/microcontrast of the mids also strong point after break in? That was the biggest issue I had with the ess version with weak to non existent texture at lest compared to the akm version.

Now that I think about it all my headphones are low impedence high sensitivity dynamics which might be a factor in the low slam. On the other hand with the XS and ether 2 I agree that the slam on those with the ess version is very nice.

Apr 22, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #1,575 of 2,233
Interesting, does texture/microcontrast of the mids also strong point after break in? That was the biggest issue I had with the ess version with weak to non existent texture at lest compared to the akm version.

Now that I think about it all my headphones are low impedence high sensitivity dynamics which might be a factor in the low slam. On the other hand with the XS and ether 2 I agree that the slam on those with the ess version is very nice.
Playing as a DAC in the speaker system I didn't missed any texture/details in the mids but I would call them kind of lean sounding, not as full bodied and slightly lacking in depth when compared to much more expensive stuff or cheaper R2R like the Ares II.
I can't comment on headphone use yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back