FiiO K9 Pro Hi-Fi DeskDop DAC&Bluetooth&Amplifier,XLR/RCA/4.4/Optical/Coaxial interface
Apr 19, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #1,546 of 2,233
And just where did I say Fiio were not up to the task ?? ....I believe my exact words were.....I only own the AKM version and can't comment on the ESS version.
Well, you are absolutely right and I am terribly sorry...

I was referring to this post
I’m not implying that they didn’t do it well with the k9, my point is that it takes superb implementation to notice a real difference between dual and single chip designs, implementation that fiio may not be up to just yet, doesn’t meant they did a bad job either, I’m sure the ess sounds fantastic as well. Can’t wait to try it for myself.

This is what happens when you are browsing Headfi while trying to read goodnight stories to your kid...

I have edited my previous post not to include your name... sorry!

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #1,547 of 2,233
FiiO M17 is great. I was particularly impressed with the DC power mode. A very compact body for great sound. It's really an all-in-one for minimalists.
The ESS version of K9 Pro is also a great product. For example, I feel that the ESS version has better vocals.
However, the AKM version has no problem with a single DAC. In fact, I prefer the AKM version. As a result, I didn't realize the benefits of dual DAC in the K9 Pro.
Of course, some people would prefer the ESS version. And that person's impression is correct.

Apr 20, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #1,548 of 2,233
The ess version i feel is smoother and gives a more high class sound. The problem is that while it fits planars with dynamic headphones there is a lack of subtle detail and texture.

It really depends on taste though. I think people that want a transparent topend amp that has doesnt bring much attention to microtexture will like the ess version alot.

Apr 20, 2022 at 11:56 PM Post #1,549 of 2,233
I recently purchased the ESS version and run it through my computer via the provided USB cable. Does anyone here know if upgrading the cable to something different change anything? Is it better in terms of audio?

Also, can someone tell me if it's possible to see what bitrate I am getting? I have the k9 ess running through my PC, and audio is from Tidal master quality. When I open up the app, it says 44.1kHz. I am curious if I am running at 32bit 384khz or if my settings are off.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 2:16 AM Post #1,550 of 2,233
I recently purchased the ESS version and run it through my computer via the provided USB cable. Does anyone here know if upgrading the cable to something different change anything? Is it better in terms of audio?

Also, can someone tell me if it's possible to see what bitrate I am getting? I have the k9 ess running through my PC, and audio is from Tidal master quality. When I open up the app, it says 44.1kHz. I am curious if I am running at 32bit 384khz or if my settings are off.
You are going to have a much greater sound upgrade if you switch to a digital transport (dish your PC) rather than buying a cable.

Apr 21, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #1,553 of 2,233
Sorry I am a bit of a noob, what do you mean switch to a digital transport and dish my PC?
Use something like the iFi Zen stream or similar to experience great sound improvement.
PC is very noisy environment not the best for playing your music.
Anyway to better answer your original question, for PC use I wouldn't suggest to spend money on an aftermarket USB cable.
A good quality cable is sufficient.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #1,554 of 2,233
Use something like the iFi Zen stream or similar to experience great sound improvement.
PC is very noisy environment not the best for playing your music.
Anyway to better answer your original question, for PC use I wouldn't suggest to spend money on an aftermarket USB cable.
A good quality cable is sufficient.
Does stream improve sound in what way?
PS: I am thinking to get an streamer for k9 pro. But all streamer are very expensive and as a computer engineer not able to understand how does it improves sound.

Apr 21, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #1,555 of 2,233
Does stream improve sound in what way?
PS: I am thinking to get an streamer for k9 pro. But all streamer are very expensive and as a computer engineer not able to understand how does it improves sound.
Specially designed software with extremely low latency.
Example here.
All resources running for music playback and nothing else.
Extremely low jitter.
Very low noise from power supply.

Apr 21, 2022 at 5:42 AM Post #1,556 of 2,233
Specially designed software with extremely low latency.
Example here.
All resources running for music playback and nothing else.
Extremely low jitter.
Very low noise from power supply.
I don't get jitter using phone as well.
And wanted to understand how does low noise from power supply affect digital to digital conversation and ultimately to music quality.
These things are hard to understand as a technology point of view.
I guess these streamers or low noise power supply would be useful for old equipment which are prone to induced current causing noise or weak signal causing jitter.
I feel now a days most of devices are coming with good quality and insulation.

And also I understand that low noise in power supply van help with clean analog signals or pulses but how does it affect digital to digital conversation.
To that why even digital to digital conversation is required does the streamer modify the digital singal changing some information in music files ?

I really appreciate your input as I am beginner audiophile trying to understand things.

Apr 21, 2022 at 6:19 AM Post #1,557 of 2,233
And wanted to understand how does low noise from power supply affect digital to digital conversation and ultimately to music quality.
I guess these streamers or low noise power supply would be useful for old equipment which are prone to induced current causing noise or weak signal causing jitter.

And also I understand that low noise in power supply van help with clean analog signals or pulses but how does it affect digital to digital conversation.
To that why even digital to digital conversation is required does the streamer modify the digital singal changing some information in music files ?

I really appreciate your input as I am beginner audiophile trying to understand things.
If you want to waste time and cash, you're on the right way.
None is going to explain really what's going on when you buy strange devices like streamers, power cables, and such things. Just snake oil to generate GDP.

Apr 21, 2022 at 7:15 AM Post #1,558 of 2,233

Web is your best friend.
You can start from here
https://darko.audio/2019/03/what-is-electrical-noise-and-how-does-it-affect-your-dac/
And then do some search.
Now I wouldn't consider a streamer as a strange device to waste your money but you can always follow @ferorake advice and stick with your PC. (at least I hope that it is fanless...)

Apr 21, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #1,559 of 2,233

Is your PC a Windows System?
If it is Windows System, you need "FiiO USB DAC driver".
You can download it from here.

-USB DAC Driver Download / FiiO.com
https://forum.fiio.com/note/showNoteContent.do?id=202105191527366657910

Next, please visit this page.

-Fix sound problems in Windows 10 / Microsoft.com
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10-73025246-b61c-40fb-671a-2535c7cd56c8

Refer to "No. 7" here.
Set "FiiO Q series" as default.
(The name may be different on your PC.)

Next, refer to "No.10".
Under "Default Format", you should be able to select "32bit,384000Hz".

The LEDs on the K9Pro will give you an indication of the quality of the sound currently being played.
Refer to the next page.

K9 Pro indicator light description / FiiO FAQ
https://www.fiio.com/newsinfo/557543.html

I don't know how to use a MAC PC.

I hope it helps.

(Machine translation is used. Sorry for the confusion.)

Apr 21, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #1,560 of 2,233
I don't think changing USB cables always improves the sound.However, I can feel a change in sound.

If it is a good change for me and I can enjoy it, I think it is the right answer.
I use "AudioQuest Carbon USB cable" to connect my PC and K9pro.And it is right for me.

Placebo effect? I don't deny it. LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back