FiiO K7/K7BT Desktop DAC&Headphone AMP Discussion | XLR Balance | Dual THX AAA | Xmos | ...
Nov 10, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #1,306 of 1,432
Hi, I currently run a HD600 off a E10K (dac only) to a Topping L30 (first version). I'm intending to get a HD800S, and the K7 is something I'm considering to go along with it.

A dac upgrade from the E10K would be beneficial, but I'm not convinced to spend too much on one yet.

Meanwhile, I'm not sure if the L30 needs to be changed. Volume wise it should be fine. If an upgrade is advised, then I was wondering if something like the K7 would be "good enough"? It would also allow me to make use of the balanced cable that comes with the HD800S. Or should I keep it and just change the dac?

Or am I just crazy looking at the K7, considering how much the HD800S costs? (Did a search in this thread for this pairing and it's not really a thing lol). I listen to a variety of music, though nowadays I play single-player games most of the time.

Also, wanted to ask, when the K7 (or other dac amp combo) is turned off via volume knob but wall power is still on, would a PC still see it as a audio device?

Thanks.

Nov 10, 2023 at 5:28 AM Post #1,307 of 1,432
Has anyone used the K7BT with a PS5?
The PS5 doesn't have an Optical out like the PS4.
The BT on the PS5 is only for Sony peripherals.

Nov 10, 2023 at 5:40 AM Post #1,308 of 1,432
when the K7 (or other dac amp combo) is turned off via volume knob but wall power is still on, would a PC still see it as a audio device?
I don’t know if K7 is seen as connected, but in the case of the K5 Pro it isn’t

Nov 13, 2023 at 8:03 AM Post #1,310 of 1,432
@thewind32 I have both the K5 Pro and the K7. The unit is powered off when you hear the click of the volume knob. Applies to both of them.

@FiiO Is there any way to tell apart batches of the K7 with the buggy firmware, from the one where the firmware problem is fixed?
I'm looking to buy this unit again from an European retailer and want to make sure I don't end up with a buggy firmware again.

Nov 13, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #1,311 of 1,432
@thewind32 I have both the K5 Pro and the K7. The unit is powered off when you hear the click of the volume knob. Applies to both of them.

@FiiO Is there any way to tell apart batches of the K7 with the buggy firmware, from the one where the firmware problem is fixed?
I'm looking to buy this unit again from an European retailer and want to make sure I don't end up with a buggy firmware again.
What is the impact of this buggy firmware on the K7?

Nov 13, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #1,312 of 1,432
Go back to page 56 on the current thread and look out for Roxaos, Kegra, FiiO's or my own comments on the issue. Basically the volume dropping at random due to a firmware bug.

To clarify: this bug has been fixed a while ago by the manufacturer. All new units are fixed. I'm only refering to old stock and whether we're able to tell them apart.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #1,313 of 1,432
Go back to page 56 on the current thread and look out for Roxaos, Kegra, FiiO's or my own comments on the issue. Basically the volume dropping at random due to a firmware bug.

To clarify: this bug has been fixed a while ago by the manufacturer. All new units are fixed. I'm only refering to old stock and whether we're able to tell them apart.
hm, first morning i woke up 6.35 mm socket with 3.5mm adapter didn't produce sound at any volume while rotating knob, is this that bug in my unit you mentioned in your post? The only way i got sound was by going from Hi to Lo GAIN, and removing headphones from 6.35mm and using 4.4mm to 2.5mm adapter, and sound came back in balanced way, then Lo to Hi, and high gain was operating again. Driver version v5.58

Nov 15, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #1,315 of 1,432
Nov 16, 2023 at 3:22 AM Post #1,316 of 1,432
Hi, my K7's led doesn't change its color from cyan no matter what bitrate I play through my PC. K7 is connected to a docking station via USB C. Is this a known issue?

Nov 16, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #1,318 of 1,432
Nov 18, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #1,319 of 1,432
Hey all - I just got a K7 about a month and a half ago and I've been REALLY happy with it. My wife uses her Monolith 124559 and I've found that the soundstage on the K7 is taller. The 124559 dac/amp seems a bit wider but flatter if that makes sense. I am using the K7 with a set of Focal Clears and Fostex TH900 and I am super happy.

Nov 19, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #1,320 of 1,432
Question: has anyone tried using the RCA out for needle drops/recording vinyl *while listening*?

I'm looking to replace a receiver that has a lot of distortion, but from which I use the tape monitor out for recording. The K7 looks to be the only headphone amp I can find that has the inputs I need and the line/pre out.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back