FiiO K7/K7BT Desktop DAC&Headphone AMP Discussion | XLR Balance | Dual THX AAA | Xmos | ...
May 9, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #1,081 of 1,439
May 10, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #1,083 of 1,439
Unless I'm interpreting it incorrectly, I don't think you can connect the UTWS5 to the K7 BT in the first place. "Bluetooth receiving" means using an external source (such as your mobile phone) to transmit music to the K7 BT. Since the K7 BT (apparently) does not support Bluetooth transmitting, that means you can only listen to music via wired connections.

Besides - if you are using the UTWS5, why would you need to use the K7 BT in the first place? You'd just pair it with your phone (or other source device), and bypass the K7 BT altogether. The K7 BT wouldn't do anything to improve the sound with your UTWS5 anyway, since it would neither be amplifying, nor doing the DAC conversion, of the music - both of those are done inside the UTWS5 itself.
Oh i thought it was the other way around...
I wanted more codecs support when using bluetooth on my pc as my motherboard chipset kinda sucks (mainly windows support sucks)

On the k7 i could some clarification, if i don't want to use exclusive mode on my music apps (like qobuz) so i can game and listen to music at the same time i am supposed to select 96khz on my sound settings yes?
So the dac will do the processing of all my sources itself?
Asking cause i use voicemeeter and the learning curve of using a dac with it is a bit steep :)

May 10, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #1,084 of 1,439
Just got my K7 (non BT) about a week ago. I got it because I was after the balanced headphone outputs to go with the HD660s I just got a couple months ago. Had been using the Schiit Magni.

Skimming over the comments here, I notice a lot of talk about the volume control. With both headphones (HD599 & HD660s) I noticed I needed to set it to about 1-2 o'clock for the right listening level (I experimented with various levels from 70% to 100% for the source (windows 10) audio--not that I could tell a whole lot, I landed on 80% being fine for me).

Adjusting the volume control on the K7-- it was weird. Felt like I was not directly controlling the output via a potentiometer, but rather a digital control. After moving the control, the volume didn't immediately change, but I heard a little bit of static, and within a second the volume would jump to whatever I had set.

As of last night unfortunately, it will not turn on. Tried different computers, different outlets, different headphones with different outputs (the 4.4mm balanced, and 1/4" standard plug). Left it unplugged overnight--nothing works. Kinda leaves a bad taste for Fiio in my mouth... I might revisit them again sometime, but looking for alternatives now, leaning toward Schiit, but still unsure.

May 10, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #1,085 of 1,439
Just got my K7 (non BT) about a week ago. I got it because I was after the balanced headphone outputs to go with the HD660s I just got a couple months ago. Had been using the Schiit Magni.

Skimming over the comments here, I notice a lot of talk about the volume control. With both headphones (HD599 & HD660s) I noticed I needed to set it to about 1-2 o'clock for the right listening level (I experimented with various levels from 70% to 100% for the source (windows 10) audio--not that I could tell a whole lot, I landed on 80% being fine for me).

Adjusting the volume control on the K7-- it was weird. Felt like I was not directly controlling the output via a potentiometer, but rather a digital control. After moving the control, the volume didn't immediately change, but I heard a little bit of static, and within a second the volume would jump to whatever I had set.

As of last night unfortunately, it will not turn on. Tried different computers, different outlets, different headphones with different outputs (the 4.4mm balanced, and 1/4" standard plug). Left it unplugged overnight--nothing works. Kinda leaves a bad taste for Fiio in my mouth... I might revisit them again sometime, but looking for alternatives now, leaning toward Schiit, but still unsure.
Well, at least you should be well within a return window. I have never had an issue with the my previous two Fiio headphone Amp/Dac's which still work perfectly. I guess Only time will tell with this new release. I guess that why sometimes, its best to wait awhile before jumping the gun and purchasing new tech.

May 10, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #1,086 of 1,439

Dear friend,

Sorry to hear about that. Do you have another 12V power supply to check whether the issue remains?
If yes, please try to contact the seller or support@fiio.com with the receipt attached.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 11, 2023 at 12:13 AM Post #1,087 of 1,439
Dear friend,

Sorry to hear about that. Do you have another 12V power supply to check whether the issue remains?
If yes, please try to contact the seller or support@fiio.com with the receipt attached.

Best regards
The seller was Amazon... I tried to follow their umm... "troubleshooting steps", which included turning my car on and off (???). They had me take it back to a UPS location for a return instead.

I did think about the 12V power supply, but the supplies I had did not match the amperage. I don't know enough about volts, amperages, etc, and was worried I could mess it up further. Fortunately I was able to just return without any hassle because it stopped working within a week.

May 11, 2023 at 11:56 PM Post #1,088 of 1,439
The seller was Amazon... I tried to follow their umm... "troubleshooting steps", which included turning my car on and off (???). They had me take it back to a UPS location for a return instead.

I did think about the 12V power supply, but the supplies I had did not match the amperage. I don't know enough about volts, amperages, etc, and was worried I could mess it up further. Fortunately I was able to just return without any hassle because it stopped working within a week.
Dear friend,

Ok, thanks for your kind feedback.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 19, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #1,090 of 1,439
K7 BT arrived today. Very nice, no issues and no sound drop outs. Tried with both 660s and 660s2. Will play with the BT connection tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_2633.jpeg
    IMG_2633.jpeg
    1,018.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2630.jpeg
    IMG_2630.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
May 21, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #1,091 of 1,439
Anyone with both k7 and either topping l50 or l70? If so, which one sounds cleaner?

May 21, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #1,093 of 1,439
Probably no one would make that comparisson. Who would plug in an L70 intro the rca out of K7?
I agree.

From what I read about the K7, it could sound a bit smooth whereas both l50 and l70 would have a cleaner and hence more detailed presentation, but this is from reviews without a direct comparison between k7 and the amps from Topping.

May 25, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #1,095 of 1,439
Is there any way to send the K7 to repair? The right channel on mine suddenly stopped working, in all outputs.

Nevermind, apparently it was the usb cable. Works fine again.
...thats odd that the USB cable would prevent the right channel from working since standard usb cable has 4 wires.... 2 for power and 2 for data send and receive...🤔

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back