[FiiO K5Pro/K5Pro ESS]Desktop DAC and Amplifier+768K/32Bit and DSD512 decoding+3 gain levels (K5 Pro ESS (Red Version) Is Available Now)
Dec 6, 2020 at 2:16 AM Post #391 of 637
Congrats for your purchase! K5 Pro is one of the best DAC/Amps you can buy under 200$

Dec 9, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #396 of 637
IMG_2760.jpeg

Received today! I will share my first impressions this weekend after a prolonged listening time

Dec 9, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #397 of 637
Dec 10, 2020 at 3:57 AM Post #399 of 637
I have a new found respect for the k5 pro. I never used the line out besides for cheap powered speakers because i was told that the line out was noisy.

Recently i started bringing the k5 pro around for testing as its light enough to just stuff in the bag. One thing i noticed is that the line out is actually cleaner and more revealing than alot of portable sources.

Dec 10, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #400 of 637
Although RCA output hasn't stellar performance (SINAD 82 dB according to ASR review), it's clean enough to be unnoticeable.

Dec 10, 2020 at 7:53 AM Post #401 of 637
I have a new found respect for the k5 pro. I never used the line out besides for cheap powered speakers because i was told that the line out was noisy.

Recently i started bringing the k5 pro around for testing as its light enough to just stuff in the bag. One thing i noticed is that the line out is actually cleaner and more revealing than alot of portable sources.
That's why I like this device, it's a great and cheap tool to test various set-ups. I had fun doing various blind tests on it:
  • K5 amp versus external headphone amp by connecting the K5 line out to another amp
  • Dynamic/planar versus electrostatic headphones by connecting the K5 line out to my Stax amp (not a blind test obviously lol)
  • K5 DAC versus external DAC using the RCA input
  • Lossless versus lossy files using DSD files through the USB input and OGG files through the optical input
This helped me a lot figuring out the difference between various amps, DACs and formats. And to be honest the difference is a LOT more subtle than what most head-fiers claim.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #402 of 637
I am really enjoying the K5 Pro. It feels good to have a great source after almost three years of Spotify/laptop. My previous hifi/gaming setup was the Sennheiser HD650 with a Creative ZxR (w/ modified op amp for better bass), but naturally more focused on video games than music.

Currently using it with the Philips Fidelio X2HR (30 ohms only), low gain is already more than enough. I've tried to "play" between low and mid gain to see any differences. Actually, mid gain was already feeling a bit too loud and forward sound, so I came back to low gain allowing me more accuracy to control the volume. Files come from Qobuz, mainly Hi-Res and CD quality albums. Overall, the K5 Pro is a great improvement and complement to the X2HR, when good quality files are played. Bass are much more controlled and accurate now. Separation and placement of instruments are better too, of course.

I would definitely recommend this device to any audiophile looking for an AMP/DAC under 200$. I will share more complete thoughts later!

Dec 11, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #403 of 637
I tried the Kbear Believe with the Fiio K5 Pro and it pairs well, with Smooth but detaillled sound.
I think the K5 pro has enough power for the Believe and I like the AK4493's signature.

Dec 12, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #405 of 637
I am really enjoying the K5 Pro. It feels good to have a great source after almost three years of Spotify/laptop. My previous hifi/gaming setup was the Sennheiser HD650 with a Creative ZxR (w/ modified op amp for better bass), but naturally more focused on video games than music.

Currently using it with the Philips Fidelio X2HR (30 ohms only), low gain is already more than enough. I've tried to "play" between low and mid gain to see any differences. Actually, mid gain was already feeling a bit too loud and forward sound, so I came back to low gain allowing me more accuracy to control the volume. Files come from Qobuz, mainly Hi-Res and CD quality albums. Overall, the K5 Pro is a great improvement and complement to the X2HR, when good quality files are played. Bass are much more controlled and accurate now. Separation and placement of instruments are better too, of course.

I would definitely recommend this device to any audiophile looking for an AMP/DAC under 200$. I will share more complete thoughts later!

I'm also rocking the K5 Pro with Fidelio X2 and I'm very satisfied, hard to find a combo for similar price that gives such nice pack of features and audio quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back