FiiO&JadeAudio Over-Ear Headphones Discussion & Impressions Thread
Apr 2, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #106 of 607
Finally I got my FT3 as well!

My first impression, sound stage is okay. I felt it being narrower than my Pionner SE-Monitor5. But this isnt really a big issue, its spacious enough.

I found the overall sound to be a little more bass incline. What I meant is, this is not booming, thumping bass. But their presence is stronger as compared to mids and highs. I felt the bass somewhat isnt properly reproduced. It doesnt really bring out the timbre of the bass tones.

I found the mids to be slightly more recessed. It is not the clearest I have heard. Vocals are okay, but I cant help but feel a certain veil over it. Guitar and piano are audible but like the bass, it sort of misses timbre of the tones. I feel unable to bring out the full characteristics of the instruments.

The highs is the weakest among the 3. It lacks a certain sparkle to it and overtones seem to drown out pretty fast. Its definitely audible but not really to the level I expected. I definitely feel like the high hat notes ended too fast.

Details retrieval is okay, nothing fantastic. It does a good enough job for its price bracket but doesn't wow me.

I spent my last 2 days with my pioneer SE-monitor5 and I guess it does affect my impression of it a little. I drive them with my Hiby r6 (2020) aka the New Hiby R6, through the 4.4mm Balanced PO. I know my take seems to be against the general consensus, but its just my opinion and YMMV!

Hope you guys enjoy your purchase! 😀
I appreciate your impressions and your comparison with the Pioneer SE-Monitor5's. Not many of us have that headphone, though, so it's hard to have a reference. Plus the Pioneer is a closed-back that cost $999 and isn't available anymore, as far as I can tell. Could you maybe compare it to some headphones most of us are familiar with? I see that you have the HD650 and the ATH-R70X. Those are both open-backed headphones nearer the same price as the FiiO's.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #107 of 607
Finally I got my FT3 as well!

My first impression, sound stage is okay. I felt it being narrower than my Pionner SE-Monitor5. But this isnt really a big issue, its spacious enough.

I found the overall sound to be a little more bass incline. What I meant is, this is not booming, thumping bass. But their presence is stronger as compared to mids and highs. I felt the bass somewhat isnt properly reproduced. It doesnt really bring out the timbre of the bass tones.

I found the mids to be slightly more recessed. It is not the clearest I have heard. Vocals are okay, but I cant help but feel a certain veil over it. Guitar and piano are audible but like the bass, it sort of misses timbre of the tones. I feel unable to bring out the full characteristics of the instruments.

The highs is the weakest among the 3. It lacks a certain sparkle to it and overtones seem to drown out pretty fast. Its definitely audible but not really to the level I expected. I definitely feel like the high hat notes ended too fast.

Details retrieval is okay, nothing fantastic. It does a good enough job for its price bracket but doesn't wow me.

I spent my last 2 days with my pioneer SE-monitor5 and I guess it does affect my impression of it a little. I drive them with my Hiby r6 (2020) aka the New Hiby R6, through the 4.4mm Balanced PO. I know my take seems to be against the general consensus, but its just my opinion and YMMV!

Hope you guys enjoy your purchase! 😀
The FT3 has an impedance of 350 ohm, I think that these headphones should be listened to not from a DAP, but from a stationary amplifier.

Apr 2, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #108 of 607
I appreciate your impressions and your comparison with the Pioneer SE-Monitor5's. Not many of us have that headphone, though, so it's hard to have a reference. Plus the Pioneer is a closed-back that cost $999 and isn't available anymore, as far as I can tell. Could you maybe compare it to some headphones most of us are familiar with? I see that you have the HD650 and the ATH-R70X. Those are both open-backed headphones nearer the same price as the FiiO's.
Sure, let me do an A/B with them when I get the time!
The FT3 has an impedance of 350 ohm, I think that these headphones should be listened to not from a DAP, but from a stationary amplifier
Agreed with you. I can link it to my amp when I get the time.

I cant do it immediately because most of my gear are at my own place and my DAPs, IEMs, and FT3 are over at my wife place. But I will run some tests when I get the chance. 😀

Apr 2, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #109 of 607
The FT3 has an impedance of 350 ohm, I think that these headphones should be listened to not from a DAP, but from a stationary amplifier.
That entirely depends on what DAP you have!

I use an A&K Kann Alpha. It has plenty of power to run both 300+ Ohm and even planar headphones. I was getting plenty of volume at 67% in standard mode. Other high power DAP’s like the Kann Max, FiiO M17 or the new M15s will have no problem.

Apr 2, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #110 of 607
That entirely depends on what DAP you have!

I use an A&K Kann Alpha. It has plenty of power to run both 300+ Ohm and even planar headphones. I was getting plenty of volume at 67% in standard mode. Other high power DAP’s like the Kann Max, FiiO M17 or the new M15s will have no problem.
I believe my R6 is enough as it gets loud enough at 42 volume, high gain. I usually only listen to 25 to 26 volume, high gain.

But a part of me also find that its good to run it through an amp, so to give the ft3 another chance. 😀

Apr 3, 2023 at 1:47 AM Post #111 of 607
I believe my R6 is enough as it gets loud enough at 42 volume, high gain. I usually only listen to 25 to 26 volume, high gain.

But a part of me also find that its good to run it through an amp, so to give the ft3 another chance. 😀
I have M17 and it gets HD800S loud enough with high gain over balanced output, but as soon as I connect PS and enable over head ear mode aka highest gain pushing 3W over balanced, Senns noticable get better dynamics, slam, stage. They are 300 ohm with similar driver sensitivity (2-3db difference) while FT 3 are 350 ohm.

Just my 2 cents.

Apr 3, 2023 at 3:31 AM Post #112 of 607

Loudness is not an indicator, you need control from the amplifier.

Apr 3, 2023 at 3:50 AM Post #113 of 607
Loudness is not an indicator, you need control from the amplifier.
Agreed. Thats why I am gonna use my amp this weekend. 😄

Apr 3, 2023 at 3:50 AM Post #114 of 607
Looking into the specs of the FT3 it is worth to note for 110dB you need 1.87vrms and 5.3ma rms for 10mw of power. The vrms figure is the important one here and with headroom being a thing, it is all dependent on the dap. Even the Shanling m3x single ended does 2vrms but 4vrms out of balanced

Apr 3, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #115 of 607
Looking into the specs of the FT3 it is worth to note for 110dB you need 1.87vrms and 5.3ma rms for 10mw of power. The vrms figure is the important one here and with headroom being a thing, it is all dependent on the dap. Even the Shanling m3x single ended does 2vrms but 4vrms out of balanced
all these digital values may have no value, only real listening and feeling is important

Apr 3, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #116 of 607
Mine Fiio FT3 are coming tomorrow, cant wait to test them with EF400 and EF400->Xduuo Ta26, tube should do a justice regarding 350ohm. Also have to drive with Fiio's own top of a crop M17 & linear PL50 power supply, synergy should be good.

Apr 3, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #117 of 607
Mine Fiio FT3 are coming tomorrow, cant wait to test them with EF400 and EF400->Xduuo Ta26, tube should do a justice regarding 350ohm. Also have to drive with Fiio's own top of a crop M17 & linear PL50 power supply, synergy should be good.
I will wait for your feedback, I'm very interested, because I also ordered FiiO FT3, but I will receive it only on May 20-25, I also have m17 with PL50

Apr 3, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #119 of 607
I ordered mine FT3 from Fiio.de yesterday, living in Ireland, delivery tomorrow, and what is the worst did some mistake while ordering but Fiio got me sorted, cudos for that. A+ service and products

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back