FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Nov 18, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #1,516 of 1,891
Gotta admit I miss the FD5 even though I have the FD7 now and it's technically better (quite a big jump in refinement and resolution) in every category except for soundstage. FD5 has more open and out of the head feeling. FD5 also had a more intimate stage where vocals sounded more forward and it focused more on macro details. Which I kinda miss. FD7 has more depth and 3D staging and is more focused on big picture, wide scale, better at micro details. Different presentations. From memory, FD5 with xelastecs still some of the best vocals I've heard to date and I miss the most. So...Im thinking about re-buying them again during black Friday sale. 😅

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #1,517 of 1,891
Gotta admit I miss the FD5 even though I have the FD7 now and it's technically better (quite a big jump in refinement and resolution) in every category except for soundstage. FD5 has more open and out of the head feeling. FD5 also had a more intimate stage where it focused more on macro details. Which I kinda miss. FD7 has more depth and 3D staging and is more focused on big picture, wide scale, better at micro details. Different presentations. From memory, FD5 with xelastecs still some of the best vocals I've heard to date and I miss the most. So...Im thinking about re-buying them again during black Friday sale. 😅
Exactly, FD5 has awesome vocals, wide open Soundstage and lows are great too. Overall wonderful IEM. 👍😊

Nov 18, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #1,518 of 1,891
Gotta admit I miss the FD5 even though I have the FD7 now and it's technically better (quite a big jump in refinement and resolution) in every category except for soundstage. FD5 has more open and out of the head feeling. FD5 also had a more intimate stage where vocals sounded more forward and it focused more on macro details. Which I kinda miss. FD7 has more depth and 3D staging and is more focused on big picture, wide scale, better at micro details. Different presentations. From memory, FD5 with xelastecs still some of the best vocals I've heard to date and I miss the most. So...Im thinking about re-buying them again during black Friday sale. 😅
Indeed.
The soundstage is what stands out on the FD5,
and the bass,
and the vocals,
and the Blablabla. :ksc75smile:

Love this iem quite a bit.

Well, the fit on the go or while exercise is better on the FD1, imo.

Nov 21, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #1,519 of 1,891
For those still struggling with FD5 large nozzle that may not master sometime on treble, in a french discord member WB79 found
an improving swap with FD3 nozzle on it. The FD3 bass nozzle on my FD5 just filtered for me the extra peaky treble and gave more deep bass, without sacrifying soundstage
or holo. It also makes the FD5 easier to listen on long sessions, less fatiguing. I Just purchased the genuine parts from fiio post sales service for USD20 the complete set, really a highly recommended move.
My question is for people that would own both FD7 and FD5, did you try FD7 nozzles on FD5, if yes what is the outcome ?

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #1,520 of 1,891
For those still struggling with FD5 large nozzle that may not master sometime on treble, in a french discord member WB79 found
an improving swap with FD3 nozzle on it. The FD3 bass nozzle on my FD5 just filtered for me the extra peaky treble and gave more deep bass, without sacrifying soundstage
or holo. It also makes the FD5 easier to listen on long sessions, less fatiguing. I Just purchased the genuine parts from fiio post sales service for USD20 the complete set, really a highly recommended move.
My question is for people that would own both FD7 and FD5, did you try FD7 nozzles on FD5, if yes what is the outcome ?
After pairing it with M11 pro, iphone 6s, iphone 4s , samsung S21 with samsung dongle.

The iphone 4s + Fiio FD5 combo sounded the best to my liking.

Liked the combo sooooo much that I purchased a refurbished iPhone 4s as a backup for my old 4s.😊

Getting my old iPad 2 repaired soon ( cracked non-responsive touch screen) to know how these will sound together.

Nov 25, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #1,521 of 1,891
The FD3 bass nozzle on my FD5 just filtered for me the extra peaky treble and gave more deep bass, without sacrifying soundstage or holo. It also makes the FD5 easier to listen on long sessions, less fatiguing. I Just purchased the genuine parts from fiio post sales service for USD20 the complete set, really a highly recommended move.
With black or red rings?

Nov 28, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #1,525 of 1,891
Hey, looking at FA7, FD5 and maybe even the DUNU DK2001 which is discounted right now for Black Friday. I enjoy the FD1, upgraded to the FH3 from them which is great but pretty bass heavy - too thick at times - tho certain tips help thin it out. I like a balanced, detailed sound these days. Prefer clean bass over power/punch. Not a fan of overly sharp treble which worries me with the FD5. I do like my mids. Soundstage not too fussed about as long as separation is decent. I never really cared that the fh3 is in head.

I've had DUNU hybrids before which I enjoyed from their initial range dn1000 and dn 2000 and saw the DK20001.... and reviews on that are positive.

FH3 is a good size for my ears, I reckon any bigger could be an issue.

From reviews, FA7 MIGHT be best for me... but looking for some feedback.

Nov 28, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #1,526 of 1,891
Hey, looking at FA7, FD5 and maybe even the DUNU DK2001 which is discounted right now for Black Friday. I enjoy the FD1, upgraded to the FH3 from them which is great but pretty bass heavy - too thick at times - tho certain tips help thin it out. I like a balanced, detailed sound these days. Prefer clean bass over power/punch. Not a fan of overly sharp treble which worries me with the FD5. I do like my mids. Soundstage not too fussed about as long as separation is decent. I never really cared that the fh3 is in head.

I've had DUNU hybrids before which I enjoyed from their initial range dn1000 and dn 2000 and saw the DK20001.... and reviews on that are positive.

FH3 is a good size for my ears, I reckon any bigger could be an issue.

From reviews, FA7 MIGHT be best for me... but looking for some feedback
The Dunu DK-2001 was my every day, but it’s been superseded by the modified FiiO FD5. But if you aren’t willing to add filters/dampening material to the FD5, it can be annoyingly sharp (from my perspective), in the upper frequency range.

I honestly haven’t listened to my FiiO FA7 in years, as the shell conforms too well to the structure of my outer ear and can easily create a disconcerting pressure build up; but from what I remember of them, they’re not bass heavy (unless you EQ them), nor fatiguing in the high notes, with decent vocals.

So if that’s your short list, Dunu DK-2001. But if you‘re willing to look at another contender, I would take a hard look at the Mangird Tea.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #1,527 of 1,891
The Dunu DK-2001 was my every day, but it’s been superseded by the modified FiiO FD5. But if you aren’t willing to add filters/dampening material to the FD5, it can be annoyingly sharp (from my perspective), in the upper frequency range.

I honestly haven’t listened to my FiiO FA7 in years, as the shell conforms too well to the structure of my outer ear and can easily create a disconcerting pressure build up; but from what I remember of them, they’re not bass heavy (unless you EQ them), nor fatiguing in the high notes, with decent vocals.

So if that’s your short list, Dunu DK-2001. But if you‘re willing to look at another contender, I would take a hard look at the Mangird Tea.
Thanks for feedback. I have looked at the M Tea, but the deep insertion from longer nozzle puts me off. I already have very shallow ear depth and I've had many issues with this type of stem. From my experience - even with multiple tips tried - only foams help and leave me pretty restricted sonically I feel. I think I'll try the dk2001 as even tho the fd5 are tempting, they seem a safer bet for my preference and fit. Other input very welcome tho!

Nov 28, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #1,528 of 1,891
Don't overlook the new FA7S. I know the older FA7 has been discounted to be much cheaper but those are not the new FA7S using 6BAs. The new FA7S is the red headed step child in the new Fiio line up but the FA7S SQ is much better than you guys would imagine. It uses the same alloy metal housing as the FD5. Same comfort but with much increased isolation as it is a closed design. Superb imaging, detail and sound separation coming from 6 Knowles BA and has an extremely well-balanced tuning with no treble spikes. Its tuning and balancing is more similar to the FD7 more so than the FD5. My review on them here. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fiio-fa7s.25563/ These are as close to a neutrally tuned Fiio as it gets actually.

Nov 29, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #1,529 of 1,891
Man I forgot how good the FD5's are. Out of the box I am reminded just how damn good they sound. I sure missed these babies. This time around I'm not finding the treble harsh at all with the stock balanced tips. I would say the soundstage is actually about the same as FD7 width wise. FD7 has way more depth.

BUT...with xelastecs they are different beast. I guess I didn't test it last time around. But it was actually the xelastecs tips that give me a more out of the head feeling, openness, and a perceived wider soundstage. That and it enhances the vocals a great deal. Intimate and to die for 👌. Tried the xelastecs on FD7 but sadly they weren't a good match.

As much as I love the FD7'S, these FD5's with xelastecs are something special. They're my go to when I'm craving more intimate vocals. I'm glad I picked them up again during BF sale. At $240, they were a steal. :ksc75smile:

Dec 2, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #1,530 of 1,891
So I got the FD5. It's only been a couple of days so my opinion will most likely change.

The soundstage is as impressive as reviewed, very holographic. It's a very natural, organic sounding earphone tho, clearly aimed at being musical in nature.

Bass is big and voluminous, good quality tho, but occasionally a little loose. A lot of the detail is in the sub/mid bass, lower mids and it is impressive. So drums, bass/cello, electric guitars, etc. all have extra weight but still sound very detailed.

Mids do sit back. It does veil the upper mids slightly and certain instruments or vocals I'm used to hearing are hidden ever so slightly or a bit lightweight in body... like a feather. Instruments/sounds that sit central/upper mids and lower treble regions mainly can be a little restrained.

It's V shaped but i wouldn't say it's overly extended in the treble, in fact it's pretty smooth. Lower treble is a little veiled as discussed.

The treble filter size is a little slim which doesn't give you much in terms of tip rolling with tips you have.

With the main filter:

Wide bore far too much bass emphasis
Balanced tips are a little too laid back adn veiled.
Vocal tips a bit better and take a little thickness out and adds air.
Final E tips a bit more balanced, but for me don't get the best out of them.
SpinFits do the most to mellow the big bass out and take some of the thickness out, but at the expense of some sibilance and warmth and a little sharpness in the upper treble. It does add some greater space throughout and can help mids shine thru a bit better It's probably the most detail focused.

It might sound like I've ben a bit overly negative, but it's a sound most people will enjoy as do I. I'm aware detail and microdetail can be different, but apart from the very detailed low end, i was hoping for a bit more in the mids and treble. There's definitely a veil there IMO and i find some parts of music i know to be held back. It's FAR from lacking tho as it does bring out parts in the low end I haven't heard, and is a step up from the FH3 as it sounds way more natural. The FH3 is brighter in comparison so does have bit more bite up top and more detail in this region is a little more immediate. Bass on the FD5 is far bigger as is soundstage. They share a similar signature until mids and upwards.

It excels with electronic music, keyboards sound amazing at times. EDM. Modern pop. Bass driven music. Jazz is pretty big and bold.

Classical music some sections and instruments get more focus, strings, percussion sound meaty and extremely natural. More delicate sections like woodwind and brass can be a bit too light for me. Separation does struggle a little bit with the sub region being more focused.

Funnily enough, I looked at the size of the filters and realized i had a budget earphone Monoprice MP80 that had filters and they actually fit perfectly. One of the filters actually takes some of the lushness out and tames the bass a bit, the only difference it takes a bit of the musicality out at the same time.

Attachments

• mp80.jpg
    mp80.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back