FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Oct 21, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #1,501 of 1,891
Had to write this, ordered the fd5s, shipment arrived, the box is open, couldn't wait, was so sceptic about the sonic abilities of a single DD, special tips I ordered hasn't arrived yet, I put these in my ears and since I had big hopes for soundstage I played one of the tracks I like with lots of vocals and reverbs and LITERALLY STARTED CRYING!! WOW! I love you fiio !!!😀😀😀

Oct 24, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #1,502 of 1,891
Hmm, we all have different definitions of "perfection". I guess I would never consider a $100 to be close to perfect. Did you mean "for the price"?

Going through some posts where folks on this thread have posted links to certain songs that they enjoy listening to with the FD3 (and in other threads as well for other IEMs), I've noticed that there is a HUGE difference in what they listen to versus what I listen to. Lots of soft piano, stringed instruments, light airy vocal renditions, etc. I can imagine that they might sound OK through the FD3.

One good example of the type of music I listen to is Ajja & Cosmosis - The Alien Jams. The copy on YouTube (can't post the link right now) is actually very good quality. Give it a listen and tell me what you think. To me, it's a boomy, unbalanced mess with the FD3. Actually unlistenable compared to my other IEMs, including the Aria.
Hey Drew. Could you recommend some similar albums to the Alien Jams? Man, what a listen... On the FH3 it sounds immaculate. Thanks in advance.

Oct 24, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #1,503 of 1,891
Boy, I wish I could! It's sort of like a diamond in the rough. I've been looking for similar music for a few months now without success.

Ajja has released some "Guitar therapy sessions" on SoundCloud that are interesting. And separately, Cosmosis has released some of his own work, but none of it really is at the level of Alien Jams.

As far as solid top quality downtempo dub and chill tracks, check out Ott and Green Beats. And Zymosis as well. Really great composition and ultra high quality mixing from all of those artists.

Good luck.

Oct 24, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #1,504 of 1,891
Boy, I wish I could! It's sort of like a diamond in the rough. I've been looking for similar music for a few months now without success.

Ajja has released some "Guitar therapy sessions" on SoundCloud that are interesting. And separately, Cosmosis has released some of his own work, but none of it really is at the level of Alien Jams.

As far as solid top quality downtempo dub and chill tracks, check out Ott and Green Beats. And Zymosis as well. Really great composition and ultra high quality mixing from all of those artists.

Good luck.
Thanks for the tips man, will give them a listen soon! 😊

Oct 26, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #1,505 of 1,891
Had to write this, ordered the fd5s, shipment arrived, the box is open, couldn't wait, was so sceptic about the sonic abilities of a single DD, special tips I ordered hasn't arrived yet, I put these in my ears and since I had big hopes for soundstage I played one of the tracks I like with lots of vocals and reverbs and LITERALLY STARTED CRYING!! WOW! I love you fiio !!!😀😀😀
Which track?

Nov 5, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #1,506 of 1,891
Introduction to FiiO's Product Line and Update Plan in 2021--From James
Link: Click here

Chapter 20 Nice and Affordable Twins FD3/FD3Pro

FD3/FD3Pro are also the new dynamic driver IEMs launched by FiiO this year. People who pay attention to our brand will find that most of our earphones produced this year is dynamic driver IEMs. Starting from FD1 in 2020, we have FD1-FD5-FD3/FD3Pro-FD7/FDX. There are four dynamic driver IEMs have been released in one year.

This is actually related to the preferences of the market/users. In 2017, FiiO started to make its own earphones with single dynamic driver, namly, F1-F3-F5. At that time we have gather enough experience and most importantly, customers prefer dynamic driver and balanced armature hybrid IEMs. We therefore have F9/F9Pro became FiiO's first earphones in vogue.

So, FiiO has mainly focused on BA/ DD+BA hybrid IEMs in the following steps. And the product line of DD IEMs has not been updated for 3 years after F5. However, in the earphone market, there is no such type of earphones that have absolute advantages. Compared with the DD+BA IEMs, there is no such problem as inconsistent sound for DD IEMs, because it doesn’t require frequency division. Even if it may not extend well in the treble in comparision of BA IEMs, it makes the power of the mids more prominent. I personally think DD IEMs are more suitable for classical music, absolute music and old songs. Young guys tend to prefer DD+BA hybrid IEMs with greater dynamics, greater frequency response, and stronger energy in treble.

And FD3/FD3Pro were born under this background. Starting from FD1, FD5 has won praise from the market and consumers. FD3/FD3Pro can be regarded as a cost-effective version of the predecessor FD5 with some technologies introduced.

In terms of design, FD3/FD3 Pro inherits the structure of the FD5. The aluminum alloy shell reduces cost as well as weight, so that the comfort level can be improved. In addition, the acoustic prism, semi-open cavity, and interchangeable sound tubes of FD5 are all continued on the FD3/FD3Pro .

Besides, after trying other better earphones cable for the earphones we released in early time, some consumers gave us a lot of suggestions and hoped that we could equip the earphones with a better cable. Therefore, we make our attempt, and this is the first time that FiiO has used cables to differentiate the standard version, FD3, and the high-end version, FD3Pro.

According to the market feedback, the sales ratio of FD3 and FD3Pro is about 6:4. It seems that there are still many users have the demand for two versions. Maybe we will make this a standard in the future.

Generally speaking, FD3/FD3Pro is suitable for audiophiles who have a preference for warm sound, and those who do not pursue extremely high resolution. They are more suitable for listening to classical songs, old songs and pop music.
FD3.jpg

To be continued

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 5, 2021 at 2:57 AM Post #1,507 of 1,891
I have got FD5, and spinfit СР800 for narrow nozzles, but I mostly listen on wide nozzles and vocal tips. The sound is excellent for me. Now, at the Aliexpress there is an offer for a good price Kinera Skuld. Someone compared them to each other?

Nov 5, 2021 at 3:35 AM Post #1,508 of 1,891
I have got FD5, and spinfit СР800 for narrow nozzles, but I mostly listen on wide nozzles and vocal tips. The sound is excellent for me. Now, at the Aliexpress there is an offer for a good price Kinera Skuld. Someone compared them to each other?
@gadgetgod can you help him? I think you are the only one to my knowledge who has listened to both.

Nov 5, 2021 at 4:05 AM Post #1,509 of 1,891
Well both are very different IEMs and kind of complement to each other in terms of sound signature(DD vs All BA).

Kinera Skuld has a very good implementation of all BA setup. It has the most smooth tuning I have heard at this price point. The highs are sweet, mids are dreamy and bass response is just smooth just like fine aged scotch (complete opposite to the bass of FD5 which has an authority and nice extension to it). Skuld is not meant as studio monitors as of average resolution and micro dynamics but for a relaxing lounge type of experience one craves after an hectic day at work to help you sleep or meditate with its buttery smooth grandeur presentation. Whereas FD5 is a little bright with very nice implementation of single DD having an amazing bass implementation both in terms of quantity and extension which is something meant to wake you up and set up a groovy mood with all that energy factor it gives. FD5 has that dynamic driver physicality in its sound signature where as Skuld has lovely smooth all BA timber.

Nov 5, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #1,510 of 1,891
Well both are very different IEMs and kind of complement to each other in terms of sound signature(DD vs All BA).

Kinera Skuld has a very good implementation of all BA setup. It has the most smooth tuning I have heard at this price point. The highs are sweet, mids are dreamy and bass response is just smooth just like fine aged scotch (complete opposite to the bass of FD5 which has an authority and nice extension to it). Skuld is not meant as studio monitors as of average resolution and micro dynamics but for a relaxing lounge type of experience one craves after an hectic day at work to help you sleep or meditate with its buttery smooth grandeur presentation. Whereas FD5 is a little bright with very nice implementation of single DD having an amazing bass implementation both in terms of quantity and extension which is something meant to wake you up and set up a groovy mood with all that energy factor it gives. FD5 has that dynamic driver physicality in its sound signature where as Skuld has lovely smooth all BA timber.
Beautifully put, man! I forgot you've had the FD5 as well!

Nov 10, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #1,511 of 1,891
The FD3 is quite fussy with source and synergy is very important. I have found a perfect match with the Sony NWZ A15 DAP. With the Black sound tubes and the wide bore tips they sound perfect!

Nov 10, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #1,512 of 1,891
Introduction to FiiO's Product Line and Update Plan in 2021-From @JamesFiiO: Click here

Chapter 21 Exquisite acoustic artwork FD5.

For the earphones, I’m going to write backwards in chronological order. FD5 is actually a very meaningful product, which has served as a link between the past and present in the FiiO product line. Especially the industrial design of FD5, due to its excellent performance, we failed to achieve any breakthrough when we developed FD7. We can only continue the design of FD5 and make some adjustments in color and details. Even for the TWS earplugs we are going to launch in the future, its ID also inherits the design of FD5. Here, we can see how much we, the market and users recognize the industrial design of FD5.

FD5 uses a cylinder as its main body, which is most suitable for dynamic driver earphones. In order to match the design of the semi-open acoustic cavity, our designer took inspiration of the cover from musical instrument, and designed a structure similar to the strings with breathable mesh elaborately embedded between the four "strings". In addition, for the sake of highlighting these four "strings", the exposure and development technology is used for the first time, and two different textures of matte and glossy are made on a small cover at the same time.

In order to avoid shocks and make the earphone a more stable structure, FiiO adopts stainless steel on the earphone shell for the first time. With polishing and electroplating, the shiny silver metal texture is full of extravagance.

In terms of sound, I have introduced a lot in the early posts. Due to the limited cost, the FD5 only uses a double-sided beryllium-plated diaphragm, a high-flux magnet, a large-diameter unit, an acoustic prism, and a semi-open acoustic structure. It can be said that after years of continuous exploration and developing, FiiO has formed its own system in the acoustic design of earphones, which has also been recognized and praised by many audiophiles.

The same as FD3, FD5 is suitable for classical music, instrumental music, and vocals. The slight difference is that due to the inherent advantages of the FD5 drivers and the shell, FD5 gets a more extended sound with higher resolution. Therefore, it suits more different types of music, and its tuning is more modern and advanced.

image.png

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 12, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #1,513 of 1,891
Joined the FD5 team , on board the FD5 hype ship🤣. Received the package yesterday. Ordered the spinfit CP800 (Medium size)tips along with it.
Immediately changed to narrow nozzle and CP800 tips, without wasting any precious time , spent 6-7 hours listening to music with Fiio M11 pro DAP instead.

First impressions:

WOW !! Big, Bold, Fast, Punchy, little spicy, wide, addictive, sweet-sharp sound.

Will listen with various source/ amp combinations such as Earstudio ES100, chord Mojo and Cayin C5- iphone 4s too.

Lovely awesome looking IEM.
20211112_124908.jpg
20211112_125357.jpg
20211112_125727.jpg
20211112_125419.jpg

Attachments

• 20211112_132018.jpg
    20211112_132018.jpg
    418.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back