FiiO Hybrid IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Sep 5, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #2,026 of 2,785
He seems to like flat neutral stuff. Bass is clearly in control on the FH7s. What I dont get is how he can come up with a conclusion that there is bass bleed on listening to one tune that is supposed to have some bass emphasis in the recording it is a pop tune. Lol. Can't judge nothing on listening to one track. That is unfortunate. It is what it is
As far as GIzaudio, I unsubbed a while ago when I realized how shallow some takes where. Obviously anyone can do what they want with their channel, but It's just lazy to rate something after one song.

I unsubbed after buying Aria based on his video, due to how absolute he was about that IEM. At least he convinced me to start reviewing due to how much I disagree with him sometimes. I absolutely dislike the term “bass bleed”, btw. What does that even mean? If there is bass, then there is bass. If you don’t want bleed, don’t listen to bass.

I can’t access to an FH7s sample unit, so I will wait until a demo unit arrives at my local hifi store and compare with FH9 and share some impressions. I still don’t get why an FH7s is needed when FH9 is already there, but we will see.

Sep 6, 2022 at 7:42 AM Post #2,027 of 2,785
Thank you for acknowledging.

Update so far: A supervisor from Origin Marketing contacted me before your post and initially told me they can provide the missing ear tip which was weird. I then told them about the pictures and videos I sent them. They said it's probably something to do with initial import itself as they don't open boxes. I insisted on getting a replacement unit and they agreed.

OM scheduled a pickup yesterday and it is due for pickup today. They said after inspection they'll provide a replacement. I have packed everything as it is and kept it inside a better packaging box with bubble wrap waiting for a pickup person. I also provided the invoice inside the box as they requested for that too.

Hopefully I get a good unit soon.

Thought I'd give a final update: Received a fresh FH9 today and it's everything that I imagined it'd be.
Sounds awesome!
Got some spare spring tips earlier- might try with them. Thanks everyone for the help!

Sep 6, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #2,028 of 2,785
Thanks for the reply.
Did not fully understand you. Do you claim that the Fh9 is superior/better than the U12t?

Thanks, againt
The U12T is so different, if you are not into exactly what it is, even an 250€ In-Ear can be better.

The best In-Ear is worth nothing if you don't like its sound.

The U12T sounds very generic and everything but special, so it is easy to like something better than that. The FH9 sounds more unique and interesting. Not everyone likes that but if you like that, you'll most likely prefer it over the U12T

Sep 6, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #2,029 of 2,785
The U12T is so different, if you are not into exactly what it is, even an 250€ In-Ear can be better.

The best In-Ear is worth nothing if you don't like its sound.

The U12T sounds very generic and everything but special, so it is easy to like something better than that. The FH9 sounds more unique and interesting. Not everyone likes that but if you like that, you'll most likely prefer it over the U12T
Totally agree.

Sep 6, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #2,030 of 2,785
IMG_2868.jpg
IMG_2898.jpg
IMG_2901.jpg

IMG_2852.jpg
IMG_2856.jpg
IMG_2926.jpg

graph.png

graph (2).png

Sep 6, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #2,031 of 2,785
Sep 6, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #2,032 of 2,785
Oh, spicy upper midrange. It’s quite V, isn’t it?

Seems like that, around 13db increment at 3khz from neutral point 800hz.
Similar to fiio advertisement graph before.
And sorry the mid and upper bass way too thick for my taste, bass shelf too early with steep increment from 600hz making the 100-200 area too muddy for me. Really wish this thing tuned better.
I know graph doesn't tell full of the story until we listen by ourselves but that give early sound tonality around 60-70%, especially if you have coupler and very familiar with graph, something that easy to learn yet hard to master thing.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #2,033 of 2,785
Seems like that, around 13db increment at 3khz from neutral point 800hz.
Similar to fiio advertisement graph before.
And sorry the mid and upper bass way too thick for my taste, bass shelf too early with steep increment

We wouldn’t know for sure until we can have at least one listening. I mean, I would never expect FH9 to sound that good given its graph. If we center the graph around true-mid at 500Hz, then it seems like there is a dip around 1k (tuning trick for depth?) Anyhow, I’m eager for my local store in Australia to have a demo unit and see how it goes.

Sep 8, 2022 at 12:48 AM Post #2,035 of 2,785
Very specific demand... 😞

No, sorry. ☹️

Sep 8, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #2,036 of 2,785
A bit of an update on the FH7S. I know you guys look at graphs and think these will sound overly bassy or have too much in the upper mids. I don't hear it that way. It has upper mid forwardness but show me a modern Chifi IEM that doesn't.

There is no mids shoutiness or glare. The BA implementation is done quite well. Its imaging is fantastic on this set. In fact if the stage was a bit confined for this tuning then you guys have something to worry about but I just don't hear what you guys are worried about on an actual set of FH7s. Sure the graph isn't perfect looking but if you was to look at the FH9 graph those look similar in that regard as well. Please try not to judge a set based on a graph. That is a mistake imo.

If your worried about too much thickness or muddiness of the sound. There is none.
Bass end can be brawny when called upon but clearly stays away when it is supposed to. In fact one of the better aspects of the FH7s is just how controlled the bass end is. If you think Fiio is gonna charge $400 for an IEM and then have an out of controlled muddy bass, bright forward sounding IEM. Thats not what I am hearing from these. You have to hear them to see how that tuning worked out instead of looking at the graph as automatically proclaim they are not worthy. This is just not the case. I own way too many IEMs and I have judged each one base on how they sound and not how they graph.

Let your ears do the judging. These are much better than what the graph there tells you. They aren't perfect but they certainly are no where what you guys think they might sound like just based on a graph I will tell you that much.

Sep 8, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #2,037 of 2,785
Let your ears do the judging. These are much better than what the graph there tells you. They aren't perfect but they certainly are no where what you guys think they might sound like just based on a graph I will tell you that much.

I would say the graph is concerning, but not necessarily bad. The mids aren't too far north of Harman tuning, but I do think that for people who already find Harman to be shouty then the FH7S is likely to be DOA. Regardless, I really appreciate your appraisals and opinions you've provided about the FH7S. I hate to ask for more but... is there chance you could give us any of the following comparisons?
FH7S vs FD5 (particularly bass)
FH7S vs FH9 (particularly mids)
FH7S vs FH3 (particularly treble)

Also I know you're a fan of the FH9 - do you think the FH7S is a worthy addition to a collection that already includes the FH9?

Sep 8, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #2,038 of 2,785
I mean, if you want to see how it fares against the Harman target:

graph.png

All I'll say given my limited time with the set is that it does bass indeed better than the graph suggests but it's a clear V-shaped tuning. I am having a good time overall except with some female vocals that make me want to pull these off- ABBA on the FH7S is bad, Dua Lipa on the FH7S is fine for me. I can handle a more pronounced upper mids presence than most people I know too so I have to say there will be issues for people in the upper mids. What you should also see is the recessed lower treble right after that makes the upper mids feel more pronounced by comparison. It's a set that will be library specific and a decent add-on for those who already have, say, a neutral + bass boost IEM given the imaging and staging here is very good. In fact, I thought the sound stage was exceptionally wide for IEMs in my limited testing.

Sep 8, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #2,040 of 2,785
I would say the graph is concerning, but not necessarily bad. The mids aren't too far north of Harman tuning, but I do think that for people who already find Harman to be shouty then the FH7S is likely to be DOA. Regardless, I really appreciate your appraisals and opinions you've provided about the FH7S. I hate to ask for more but... is there chance you could give us any of the following comparisons?
FH7S vs FD5 (particularly bass)
FH7S vs FH9 (particularly mids)
FH7S vs FH3 (particularly treble)

Also I know you're a fan of the FH9 - do you think the FH7S is a worthy addition to a collection that already includes the FH9?

I think Fiio got the pricing correct for the FH7S and where this IEM is slotted in the scheme of things. Its certainly not better than the FH9 that would have meant the FH9 was not as good as a well made $400 set. I will get around to doing more closer comparions for my review but for now if you owned the FH9, FH7S while I don't feel is necessarily a downgrade. It is certainly not an upgrade to the FH9. It has its own sound and I will get into that a bit more too in my review but for now.

I kinda feel like the FH7S fills a similar sound niche as the FH9 but at a more accessable price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back