FiiO Hybrid IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Sep 8, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #2,041 of 2,807
How do they compare with FH7?

Sep 8, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #2,042 of 2,807
1662409294773.png
OK so here we go. You guys are the first to see an impression of the brand spanking new Fiio FH7S. So how are they?
Folks that was a fan of the older FH5s and even the FH9. The FH7S represents a mix between the two IEMs.

It does have some vocal forwardness but certainly not shouty. It seems vocal forward tunings is what folks like nowadays.
These remind me more of the FH9 more so than the FH5S in its tuning. The Shells are reissued FH5S design.

These are using two custom made for Fiio Knowles dual BAs. One set for mids and one set for the treble end. The bass is handled by a large and in charge 13.6mm DLC dynamic.
1662407643571.png

These are a balanced tuned W shaped sounding IEM. It presents with a large full bodied dimensional sound. Similar to the FH9 in that regard. Its stage is big, wide, bold and forward. Vocal lovers, be it male or female is gonna love these things. They somehow managed to tune these to project vocals to be frontal but is not harsh. It sounds surprisingly balanced to my ears. Its detail level is on point. Its treble has excellent extension, range and with a silky tonal character which is a surprise to me. Sound separation and general technicalities are a standout. It seems Fiio has honed down their skills for better treble tunings on their newer IEMS. I can listen to Rock and metal out of the box. Lol.

The FH7S comes with 3 nozzle filters, and it has the balanced filter installed. There is a bass filter and a treble filter. This balanced filter is excellent out of the box to my ears.

Bass end is tight and fast. Brawny when called upon. Fiio never tunes with a neutral bass so these are no different. Sounds like a good 8dbs worth of bass emphasis.

OK so I am impressed. These get remarkably close to their current flagship the FH9 but cost $200 less. It is Fiio putting out more value in their lineup.

Live sets on these sounds absolutely spectacular. This is yet another set where you have to hear them to appreciate what Fiio has done with these. Their graph they put out make them seem shouty with too much upper mid presence. It is upper mid forward but no way does it sound shouty and too much in your face. Its sounds remarkably balanced to my ears. Fiio did a great job on the FH7S. This is out of the box folks. Will give it a good work out to see how the bass end affects the rest of the sound after some run in.
Thanks for the review! Nice one.

Sep 8, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #2,043 of 2,807
Well that was just out of the box impression. I will be working on a full review on them soon. I have two other IEMS I am reviewing at the moment that I have to get to first. Looking forward to breaking down the sound on these though.

Sep 8, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #2,045 of 2,807
I mean, if you want to see how it fares against the Harman target:

graph.png

All I'll say given my limited time with the set is that it does bass indeed better than the graph suggests but it's a clear V-shaped tuning. I am having a good time overall except with some female vocals that make me want to pull these off- ABBA on the FH7S is bad, Dua Lipa on the FH7S is fine for me. I can handle a more pronounced upper mids presence than most people I know too so I have to say there will be issues for people in the upper mids. What you should also see is the recessed lower treble right after that makes the upper mids feel more pronounced by comparison. It's a set that will be library specific and a decent add-on for those who already have, say, a neutral + bass boost IEM given the imaging and staging here is very good. In fact, I thought the sound stage was exceptionally wide for IEMs in my limited testing.

You're just being humble. You described everything well mate. It is clearly a v shaped tuned IEM with thick upper bass and pronounced upper mids. Too bad it is not my preference signature while I know Fiio made good things. Had great experience with Fiio, in fact I have old Fiio E11 portable since the days they just starting from a very small company. Until today I also have M11 plus ESS which is a great DAP that punches well above their price.
Harman target always too shouty for me, even few db lower pinna gain also still too shouty for me. Just my 2 cents

Sep 8, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #2,046 of 2,807
You're just being humble. You described everything well mate. It is clearly a v shaped tuned IEM with thick upper bass and pronounced upper mids. Too bad it is not my preference signature while I know Fiio made good things. Had great experience with Fiio, in fact I have old Fiio E11 portable since the days they just starting from a very small company. Until today I also have M11 plus ESS which is a great DAP that punches well above their price.
Harman target always too shouty for me, even few db lower pinna gain also still too shouty for me. Just my 2 cents

I would share an impression when I have my ears on a pair. Yes, the upper mid is high, but the thick midbass might compensate. Or make everything extra spicy like S12. We will see. The last time I judged a Fiio IEM by graph (FH9), I was pleasantly surprised to be wrong, so I hope that those DLC DD in FH7s would put up a good show again.

Sep 8, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #2,047 of 2,807
I would share an impression when I have my ears on a pair. Yes, the upper mid is high, but the thick midbass might compensate. Or make everything extra spicy like S12. We will see. The last time I judged a Fiio IEM by graph (FH9), I was pleasantly surprised to be wrong, so I hope that those DLC DD in FH7s would put up a good show again.
Eagerly waiting for your impressions for sure

Sep 10, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #2,048 of 2,807
I'm a Fii0 Fd5 And FH5S owner I like the fh5s but it does have an unnatural tizzy metallic upper mids treble that spoil the overall experience is the FH9 a good upgrade are the mids and treble more natural/smoother its a big chunk of money for me so want to know if it's worth the upgrade. I've also been looking at the DUNU Vulkan which is cheaper.

Sep 10, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #2,049 of 2,807
I'm a Fii0 Fd5 And FH5S owner I like the fh5s but it does have an unnatural tizzy metallic upper mids treble that spoil the overall experience is the FH9 a good upgrade are the mids and treble more natural/smoother its a big chunk of money for me so want to know if it's worth the upgrade. I've also been looking at the DUNU Vulkan which is cheaper.
100%, the FH9 was very much worth the extra I paid for it over FH5S. That said, I got it from eBay at a good price, imo:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1653623238...YzQzD+f+vOB0m0nUfr+GSdNQ==|tkp:Bk9SR47s4vnkYA

Sep 10, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #2,050 of 2,807
I can confirm.
No unnatural tizzy metallic upper mids treble , on FH9 even with green filter (more treeble).

Sep 10, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #2,051 of 2,807
I don't hear that tizzy metallic tone of FH5s with FH9. IMHO, FH9 is a proper high-end performer.

I have reviewed Vulkan previously. It's a good product that is well priced. If you don't care much about detail / resolution, Vulkan actually not a bad deal.

Despite how much I geek about IEM, I honestly think most of these products are good performers that are unlikely to disappoint, unless you have a very specific set of criteria (for example, I want the most resolution and soundstage that I can get out of IEMs)

Sep 10, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #2,052 of 2,807
Yes.

In fact, it became my ultimate uiem reference. Any prices, any technologies. Really. (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rank-the-iems-youve-heard.454855/page-276#post-17135524).

With the right tips, it's limitless (in my case, Canal Works Gel, wide bore version = Uber perfection, everything).

And the default cable is just perfect. 👍

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 2:25 AM Post #2,053 of 2,807
So my FiiO FH7S have just arrived today seems to pair nicely with the BTR7 :relaxed: I will share some more thoughts once I give them a good listen and burn in but based on a very short initial listening session they sound quite nice more mid bass focused than the FH9, bass is quite tight and well controlled, male and female vocals are slightly forward but not shouty at all, soundstage is quite wide, treble is not harsh or overly bright unlike the FiiO FD3 Pro which to my ears was bright and harsh.
20220913_155623.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 2:49 AM Post #2,054 of 2,807
So my FiiO FH7S have just arrived today seems to pair nicely with the BTR7 :relaxed: I will share some more thoughts once I give them a good listen and burn in but based on a very short initial listening session they sound quite nice more mid bass focused than the FH9, bass is quite tight and well controlled, male and female vocals are slightly forward but not shouty at all, soundstage is quite wide, treble is not harsh or overly bright unlike the FiiO FD3 Pro which to my ears was bright and harsh.
20220913_155623.jpg
Wow, that’s fast. Congrats mate! Let us know how it goes. You have such a great setup there.

Sep 13, 2022 at 2:57 AM Post #2,055 of 2,807
Wow, that’s fast. Congrats mate! Let us know how it goes. You have such a great setup there.
Cheers will do, as @Dsnuts has mentioned these things are brilliant with live performances enjoying a FLAC version of below :relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back