FiiO Hybrid IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Sep 4, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #2,011 of 2,807
Just curous is it possible to buy the new eartips saperately and at the same time buy more bass tips?
Dear friend,

Yes, but the HS18 is not available in our Aliexpress store yet. If you would need it, you could contact us via support@fiio.com currently.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Sep 5, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #2,012 of 2,807
This is the first initial thoughts videos I could find.

Sep 5, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #2,013 of 2,807
1662409294773.png

OK so here we go. You guys are the first to see an impression of the brand spanking new Fiio FH7S. So how are they?
Folks that was a fan of the older FH5s and even the FH9. The FH7S represents a mix between the two IEMs.

It does have some vocal forwardness but certainly not shouty. It seems vocal forward tunings is what folks like nowadays.
These remind me more of the FH9 more so than the FH5S in its tuning. The Shells are reissued FH5S design.

These are using two custom made for Fiio Knowles dual BAs. One set for mids and one set for the treble end. The bass is handled by a large and in charge 13.6mm DLC dynamic.
1662407643571.png

These are a balanced tuned W shaped sounding IEM. It presents with a large full bodied dimensional sound. Similar to the FH9 in that regard. Its stage is big, wide, bold and forward. Vocal lovers, be it male or female is gonna love these things. They somehow managed to tune these to project vocals to be frontal but is not harsh. It sounds surprisingly balanced to my ears. Its detail level is on point. Its treble has excellent extension, range and with a silky tonal character which is a surprise to me. Sound separation and general technicalities are a standout. It seems Fiio has honed down their skills for better treble tunings on their newer IEMS. I can listen to Rock and metal out of the box. Lol.

The FH7S comes with 3 nozzle filters, and it has the balanced filter installed. There is a bass filter and a treble filter. This balanced filter is excellent out of the box to my ears.

Bass end is tight and fast. Brawny when called upon. Fiio never tunes with a neutral bass so these are no different. Sounds like a good 8dbs worth of bass emphasis.

OK so I am impressed. These get remarkably close to their current flagship the FH9 but cost $200 less. It is Fiio putting out more value in their lineup.

Live sets on these sounds absolutely spectacular. This is yet another set where you have to hear them to appreciate what Fiio has done with these. Their graph they put out make them seem shouty with too much upper mid presence. It is upper mid forward but no way does it sound shouty and too much in your face. Its sounds remarkably balanced to my ears. Fiio did a great job on the FH7S. This is out of the box folks. Will give it a good work out to see how the bass end affects the rest of the sound after some run in.

Sep 5, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #2,014 of 2,807
Sep 5, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #2,015 of 2,807
Fiio got the ranking and the price range to fit perfect between the FH5S and the FH9.

These might be for folks that was interested in the FH9 but can't quite muster that much money. Well here you go. You're getting essentially about 90% of the FH9s sound signature.

Sep 5, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #2,016 of 2,807
This is the first initial thoughts videos I could find.

Saw that video but didn't pay too much attention to it as the reviewers ears seem to be quite different to mine, anyway ordered mine on the weekend and looking forward to them given what Dsnuts has just written about the FH7S.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #2,017 of 2,807
A few questions, @Dsnuts, if you don't mind:

1. How would you say the bass of the FH7S compares to both the FH9 and FH5S?
2. I found the treble of the FH5S (in the area where snare drums are) to be painful. How would you say the FH7 compares in this part of the frequency range?

I have a pair of FH9 that I love but am looking for something to complement them. The FH5S would have been keepers, but they reeeally hurt for the kind of music I listen to but I loved everything else. UGH.

Sep 5, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #2,018 of 2,807
He seems to like flat neutral stuff. Bass is clearly in control on the FH7s. What I dont get is how he can come up with a conclusion that there is bass bleed on listening to one tune that is supposed to have some bass emphasis in the recording it is a pop tune. Lol. Can't judge nothing on listening to one track. That is unfortunate. It is what it is.

I wish sound assessment can be done listening to one track. Lol That would make my life so much easier. Maybe that is what I should do. Open an earphone raw out of the box listen to one tune and make a judgement call. Lol.

FH7s is not neutral but it is colored in the way that lets you enjoy your music. Its sounds spectacular for live sets. Any of the MTV unplugged albums is what these seems to be made for. Sounds like your actually in the venue where they did the recordings. Love the spacious stage of the FH7S sound.

Sep 5, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #2,019 of 2,807
A few questions, @Dsnuts, if you don't mind:

1. How would you say the bass of the FH7S compares to both the FH9 and FH5S?
2. I found the treble of the FH5S (in the area where snare drums are) to be painful. How would you say the FH7 compares in this part of the frequency range?

I have a pair of FH9 that I love but am looking for something to complement them. The FH5S would have been keepers, but they reeeally hurt for the kind of music I listen to but I loved everything else. UGH.
Like I said I can listen to rock and metal out of the box. So no over emphasis in the 8khz range like the FH5S. It is tuned more closer to the FH9 vs the FH5S. I usually have the treble filter on the FH9 and it does just fine with same Rock tracks that have harsh crash cymbals on the FH5S. FH5S is more source dependent than it should be. If you want to have it sound as best as it should. Get a warmer source on the FH5S and it does perfectly fine. For example UTWS5 matches perfectly with the FH5S 8Khz spike and all. Shocking how good these two match up.

Bass of the FH7S is not as burly as the FH5S, seems a bit tighter. Similar emphasis. This is where burn in will shape this IEM a bit. I agree the bass can be big on these, but they are not bass head bass. It don't have too much mid bass to where the sound presentation sound sloppy either. I will continue to report back with more impressions once I get some time on the drivers on the FH7s with some tip rolling.

FH7S I can tell even out of the box is like an upgraded FH5S with better tuning, advantage of better precision due to the dual BA presentation for the mids and treble. I can tell the treble tuning is better on these overall vs the FH5S.

Sep 5, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #2,020 of 2,807
Like I said I can listen to rock and metal out of the box. So no over emphasis in the 8khz range like the FH5S. It is tuned more closer to the FH9 vs the FH5S. I usually have the treble filter on the FH9 and it does just fine with same Rock tracks that have harsh crash cymbals on the FH5S. FH5S is more source dependent than it should be. If you want to have it sound as best as it should. Get a warmer source on the FH5S and it does perfectly fine. For example UTWS5 matches perfectly with the FH5S 8Khz spike and all. Shocking how good these two match up.

Bass of the FH7S is not as burly as the FH5S, seems a bit tighter. Similar emphasis. This is where burn in will shape this IEM a bit. I agree the bass can be big on these, but they are not bass head bass. It don't have too much mid bass to where the sound presentation sound sloppy either. I will continue to report back with more impressions once I get some time on the drivers on the FH7s with some tip rolling.

FH7S I can tell even out of the box is like an upgraded FH5S with better tuning, advantage of better precision due to the dual BA presentation for the mids and treble. I can tell the treble tuning is better on these overall vs the FH5S.
This is fantastic information, thanks a TON for answering my questions. I look forward to checking your thoughts are you burn those lovely things in!

This is the the kind of stuff that really hurt my poor ear drums with the FH5S, those snares felt like they were puncturing my ear drums... and Drum n Bass comprises about 85%+ of my listening. The bass was delicious, though! This is no problem for me with the bass or balanced filters on the FH9. Excuse me, actually, while I queue this one up since I'm thinking about it...

Sep 5, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #2,021 of 2,807
I am listening to that track. Comes in nice n clear. Bass is quick on these with good authority for being the largest driver in the FH7S. You have nothing to worry about with the FH7S. It sounds great on it.

Sep 5, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #2,022 of 2,807
I am listening to that track. Comes in nice n clear. Bass is quick on these with good authority for being the largest driver in the FH7S. You have nothing to worry about with the FH7S. It sounds great on it.
Would you say they are a good fit for someone who loved the bold and spacious FH9, but ended up selling them because of the weight and comfort?

All I wanted was a lighter and slightly smaller FH9.

As far as GIzaudio, I unsubbed a while ago when I realized how shallow some takes where. Obviously anyone can do what they want with their channel, but It's just lazy to rate something after one song.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #2,023 of 2,807
Would you say they are a good fit for someone who loved the bold and spacious FH9, but ended up selling them because of the weight and comfort?

All I wanted was a lighter and slightly smaller FH9.

As far as GIzaudio, I unsubbed a while ago when I realized how shallow some takes where. Obviously anyone can do what they want with their channel, but It's just lazy to rate something after one song.
When I said my ears were different to the reviewers I was trying to be polite 🙂

Sep 5, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #2,024 of 2,807
Weight wise it is lighter than the FH9 for certain. It is actually a bit ligher than the FH5S as well but more similar to the FH5S in weight than the much heavier FH9. It is pretty much the same shells as the FH5S but it is just as bulky as the FH9. Same physical size.

FH5S is the bulkiest out of the 3 as it has an extra protrusion for the back end of the shells. Fitment wise it is identical to the FH9 more than the FH5S. So if you found them uncomfortable since the dimensions of the shells are identical it might not be too comfortable for you here as well. But it is the lightest out of the 3 earphones shown which would help for comfort.
DSC00260.JPG

It is lighter but not smaller. Sound wise it is closer to the FH9 vs the FH5S.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #2,025 of 2,807
amazed.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back