FiiO Hybrid IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Sep 13, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #272 of 2,785
I‘d consider listening to the T2+ before making any decisions. It’s certainly not “better“ than the FH3, but it is different. It has more of a “neutral with boosted bass” signature. I find it has noticeably more treble extension and quantity, which you may or may not like.
Thanks, I may well give it a go then.

Sep 13, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #273 of 2,785
Is the treble peak at 8khz bothersome? The treble area seems a bit uneven which is concerning. I prefer neutral/smooth response, I'm worried this will be bother me.
Looking at some measurements - something like the Andromeda seems lot more even and smooth in the frequency, even with it's slight sparkly treble peak.
I don't find the treble offensive in any way whatsoever, even maybe a little too smooth and I am not a treble head at all.

Sep 13, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #274 of 2,785
As that user, I’ll try to expand on this a little bit. I find both the N3 and the FH3 to have very enjoyable bass with the FH3 having an edge in detail and speed, and the N3 leading in sub bass quantity and extension. The N3 has an overall darker tonality with a slight roll off of the highs that is not due to a lack of detail, but instead my attention with respect to the frequency range is drawn more to the bass region as my focus. It usually lets you know it is there at all times.

The FH3, on the other hand, is more mid forward and I immensely enjoy male and female vocals on it but it also has the ability to surprise you with a sudden, dynamic bass hit. It is a lot of fun in this respect. It works well with most everything I have listened to. It is a great all rounder given it’s flexibility with music genres, fit/finish and accessories, and price.

Hope this helps
Sorry to bring this up again, but in terms of technicalities how does the FH3 and N3 compare? I'm quite confused because others say that the N3s are better. I just want to know your opinion.

Sep 13, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #275 of 2,785
- I‘d consider listening to the T2+ before making any decisions. It’s certainly not “better“ than the FH3, but it is different. It has more of a “neutral with boosted bass” signature. I find it has noticeably more treble extension and quantity, which you may or may not like.
What are your feelings in detail retrieval and isolation? I don’t want to lose out on the detail the FH3 gives me, I would be willing to sacrifice a little isolation though. I do feel some additional treble would not go amiss.

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #276 of 2,785
I picked up the FH3 from Amazon a few days ago, and am happy with my purchase. I'm planning to enter Fiio's cable promotion and here is my evaluation of the FH3 in the context of other iems I'm familiar with.

This past year, I rediscovered iems after a 20 year absence from the scene. Things have changed a lot since the days of Circuit City and The Good Guys (okay, maybe more than a 20 year hiatus). I tested many options, noted below, so you can get a frame of reference.
  • My favorite iem is the ikko OH10. I was drawn to its musical presentation of instruments which sound natural and full. The sub-bass rumble and defined highs made it an even more enjoyable listen.
  • I flat-out don't like: Final 7200 (soulless, no energy, but very analytical), Legacy 3 (boomy bass, instruments sounded not-quite-right), YGF-ISS04 (just a mess).
  • I could see how others might like these, but they sounded off to my ears - either too thin/tinny or fake/plasticky sounding: FD1, KXXS, Shozy CP3 and Form 1.1, T2+.
  • I liked these, but they were not as "good" as the OH10: Yamaha EPH-200, Tape, FH5, JVC/Drop HA-FDX1.
But I quickly tired of the heavy OH10s falling out of my ears, so tried to make a custom mold using radians. I made a mistake, clogged the tube filter, and was on the hunt for a replacement (since the OH10s have been out of stock at Amazon for a long time).

The FH3s are less expensive, much lighter, have better ergonomics, a more solid cable, and come with better accessories. I enjoy the sound just slightly less than the OH10s, but they are on the same level. The FH3 bass is very good, but compared to the OH10, it is slightly boomy with just a bit less sub-bass rumble. Vocals are every-so-slightly more recessed and I hear a slight "grain" in the vocals. The vocals on the OH10 sound true, as if someone was simply singing next to me, but the FH3 sounds like a recording - a great recording, but still not the same experience. Treble on the OH10 gave me a slight problem at higher volumes, but the FH3 has the detail I'm looking for without any discomfort. The number of "wow" moments I have while listening to music is about the same as the OH10s. But take all this with a grain of salt since my OH10s are broken and I cannot do a side-by-side comparison. When it comes down to it, I have a slight preference for my memory of the OH10 sound, but what good are they if such a hassle to wear (tried lots of different tips, but not spinfits)? If possible, I suggest trying out the both OH10 and FH3; they are similar styles of headphones and both great options. (All listening done on qudelix-5k)

But if you want to know the truth, you've got to follow the money. I'm keeping my FH3s and not waiting for the OH10s to come back in stock. The FH3 is a great iem - I would purchase it over any competitors under $300. I haven't tried anything over that price, but I doubt there is a magical "next echelon" of iems which exist just above $300, so I'm sure the FH3 would compete in the $300+ range as well.

Some photos:

[Earhooks are comfortable and sturdy, but mmcx connectors are extremely tight and I have yet to remove the cables.]
cTlTXN5.jpg

[Beautiful design. Light but durable.]
67FFvrm.jpg

[Non-removable filters]
9lHLHdX.jpg

[Ergonomic fit.]
8vcH7u6.jpg

[Surprise! Left looks identical to right.]
bscPk3s.jpg

[Cable is springy and wants to be straight, but I don't find it bothersome. Doesn't tangle. Looks very nice and sparkles under the right light.]
ZRTHyMM.jpg
Don’t forget to do step 2, post your review on Amazon

How to enter:

Step 1: Purchase the FH3, take at least 6 photos of it, and prepare your comments based on your using experience (no less than 50 words);

Step 2: Write a nice review on Amazon/Aliexpress (thumbs-up&using experience comments);

Note: Purchases from physical stores are free of this step.

Step 3: Share the photos+comments (no less than 50 words) to Facebook/Headfi/Other social media platforms;

Step 4: Email the following to activity@fiio.net

▷Purchase proof of a successful transaction (screenshot for online order, invoice/receipt for order made in physical stores);

▷Photo of the FH3 package with the serial number label;

▷Screenshot of online sharing/comment;

▷Your delivery info with Full name+Address with zip code+Telephone number;

▷Your choice of the gift (LC-2.5B, LC-4.4B, LC-2.5BS, LC-3.5BS).

▷Please use the email subject: FiiO FH3 sharing activity

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #277 of 2,785
What are your feelings in detail retrieval and isolation? I don’t want to lose out on the detail the FH3 gives me, I would be willing to sacrifice a little isolation though. I do feel some additional treble would not go amiss.
I think the detail retrieval and resolution of the mids and treble are quite similar between the two. The bass resolution and texture is better on the FH3. I consider the T2+ and FH3 complementary, but I don’t know if you only want one IEM.

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #278 of 2,785
I think the detail retrieval and resolution of the mids and treble are quite similar between the two. The bass resolution and texture is better on the FH3. I consider the T2+ and FH3 complementary, but I don’t know if you only want one IEM.
Yeah my budget is limited so I'm trying to find an all-rounder. Sounds like it's worth giving the T2+ a shot at least though. Thanks very much for the help.

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #279 of 2,785
Yeah my budget is limited so I'm trying to find an all-rounder. Sounds like it's worth giving the T2+ a shot at least though. Thanks very much for the help.
:thumbsup: Both can serve as a single all-purpose IEM, but it is really hard to beat the FH3 in this capacity.

Sep 13, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #280 of 2,785
:thumbsup: Both can serve as a single all-purpose IEM, but it is really hard to beat the FH3 in this capacity.
The harder question is whether the FH3 is worth 3x the price of the T2+, law of diminishing returns seems like it kicks in early with this hobby.

Sep 13, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #281 of 2,785
The harder question is whether the FH3 is worth 3x the price of the T2+, law of diminishing returns seems like it kicks in early with this hobby.
Well, only you can decide that. There is no wrong choice between these IEMs.

Sep 13, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #282 of 2,785
Sorry to bring this up again, but in terms of technicalities how does the FH3 and N3 compare? I'm quite confused because others say that the N3s are better. I just want to know your opinion.
I think it, as always comes down to what you listen to and how you use them. Technically, the increased perception of detail is better on the FH3 for me as I tend to listen to more vocal focused music and its more forward presentation suits that compared to the more recessed midrange on the N3. This holds true for the treble as well where there is more emphasis with the FH3 - neither is in any way overly sibilant or fatiguing.

Bass is where both of these excel but in different ways and I chalk it up to how my brain interprets the overall frequency response of each IEM as a whole. The graphs may not necessarily bear this out, and this is why I don’t I don’t base my choices off of them, but the N3 has great overall tone with good extension, quantity, and note definition, but it is always present and my attention is ultimately drawn more towards the left side of the FR curve. This is not the case with the FH3 as the more forward mids stay up front until it is time for the bass to announce itself which it can do with great speed, tone, and dynamics and this is what accounts for the fun factor I alluded to in my previous post.

Fit, ease of use, and accessories is where the FH3 pulls ahead with respect to user experience and value. The N3 is easy to put in your ear, but that makes it easy as well to come out as most of the weight is centered at the furthest point from your ear where the cable attaches and pulls down. The ear tip is the only thing holding it in. The cable is most likely light for this reason, but it is extremely thin and tangles easily. I’ve upgraded my cable and recommend it, but it is one more additional cost. The FH3, on the other hand, is extremely comfortable for my ears and the cable is of great quality and helps it stay put.

If money is an issue, the N3 is not the best choice here at double the price not including a possible cable upgrade. I’m a huge Sony fan and realize things like collectibility and residual value can come into play, especially with iems that were test beds for technology that eventually went into the Z1R, but you should not be worrying too much about missing out on much, if anything. Good luck.

Sep 13, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #283 of 2,785
Well, only you can decide that. There is no wrong choice between these IEMs.
OK, well this might be easier than I expected. I'm actually shocked at how similar the FH3 and the T2+ are. The T2+ punches above its weight in general, and the bass response is much more potent than I expected based on the FR graph (some of this might be based on the fact that the T2+ seems to fit my ear better than the FH3). Edit: upon further listening, I actually find the T2+ to have more overall bass quantity (though still a little lower quality), but my FH3 unit might have some sort of defect because the quantity just doesn't match up to what other reviewers are reporting at all.

I'd still give the FH3 the nod slightly when it comes to imaging and technicalities in general, but that's to be expected and really it's much much closer than I would have thought. Maybe it's because my ear isn't as well trained as many others, but it seems to me the FH3 is remarkable for its tuning more so than its technicalities anyway.

I'm going to have to listen further, but at first blush I would say that the T2+ is 90-95% of the FH3 at 1/3rd the price. Well done, Tin.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #285 of 2,785
Pretty hard to find these in Canada.. Anyone know where there is some in stock?

Here in Italy there is a cery good Fiio reseller.
Playstereo
They have the FH3 available in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back