FiiO Hybrid IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Sep 11, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #258 of 2,793
Sep 11, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #259 of 2,793
Sep 11, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #260 of 2,793
Sep 11, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #261 of 2,793
I might get it after the FH3. I'm hoping this one is going to be awesome.

Black friday is coming.
Yeah, hopefully by 11/11 and black Friday we have weeded out all the new iems that have come out.

Sep 11, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #263 of 2,793
What are your thoughts on the BL-03. i bought the KZ and didn't rate it.
It is A ranked in my list, so suffice to say I love it.
(using the mesh mod)

But the fit is very bad and needs work (o-ring + wide bore tips) for me to get a good fit and seal. So I can't really go around and recommend it to anyone because of that.

Sep 12, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #264 of 2,793
Just received these two nights ago and have been listening to them quite a bit. I'm new to the IEM game and this is try #4 for me. I started with the BLON BL-03 and found the bass too bloated and sloppy. Then I went to the iBasso IT00, which was quite nice but ultimately too warm in the lower mids for certain genres. Next up was the JadeAudio EA1, which was the best yet but I found the timbre slightly metallic at some points (maybe an artifact of the beryllium?) and a little too shouty in the treble at others.

The FH3 is a brilliant IEM, definitely the best I've tried and better than any of the closed-back cans I've owned before. Bass is excellent, the beryllium dynamic driver does wonders. The BAs used for the mids and treble provide great imaging, and the treble especially brings out details the previous IEMs could not - though the treble remains smooth and inoffensive. The stage is a little close, definitely more restricted than the spacious (but weirdly oblong) staging of the EA1, but the separation is excellent.

My only real complaint is that the tuning, while excellent, is still a little too L-shaped for me, and the bass can at times distract from the mids and treble. Don't get me wrong, it's not what I would call imbalanced at all, and maybe it's just the excellence of the bass that somewhat outshines the rest.

I had also ordered the Tin T2+, but it arrived at the same time as the FH3 and is still sitting unopened. I can't imagine that it would beat the FH3 in any meaningful area and so will likely just sell it.

My IEM journey may end here, but then again the siren song of the NM2+ is calling me...

Sep 12, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #265 of 2,793
Just received these two nights ago and have been listening to them quite a bit. I'm new to the IEM game and this is try #4 for me. I started with the BLON BL-03 and found the bass too bloated and sloppy. Then I went to the iBasso IT00, which was quite nice but ultimately too warm in the lower mids for certain genres. Next up was the JadeAudio EA1, which was the best yet but I found the timbre slightly metallic at some points (maybe an artifact of the beryllium?) and a little too shouty in the treble at others.

The FH3 is a brilliant IEM, definitely the best I've tried and better than any of the closed-back cans I've owned before. Bass is excellent, the beryllium dynamic driver does wonders. The BAs used for the mids and treble provide great imaging, and the treble especially brings out details the previous IEMs could not - though the treble remains smooth and inoffensive. The stage is a little close, definitely more restricted than the spacious (but weirdly oblong) staging of the EA1, but the separation is excellent.

My only real complaint is that the tuning, while excellent, is still a little too L-shaped for me, and the bass can at times distract from the mids and treble. Don't get me wrong, it's not what I would call imbalanced at all, and maybe it's just the excellence of the bass that somewhat outshines the rest.

I had also ordered the Tin T2+, but it arrived at the same time as the FH3 and is still sitting unopened. I can't imagine that it would beat the FH3 in any meaningful area and so will likely just sell it.

My IEM journey may end here, but then again the siren song of the NM2+ is calling me...
What’re you using for a DAC/amp ?

Sep 12, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #266 of 2,793
What’re you using for a DAC/amp ?
Apple dongle from an iPhone 11 and Apple dongle from a ThinkPad. I know some people said that running them from a balanced source brings them to another level but honestly they are quite good even from modest sources like mine.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #267 of 2,793
I picked up the FH3 from Amazon a few days ago, and am happy with my purchase. I'm planning to enter Fiio's cable promotion and here is my evaluation of the FH3 in the context of other iems I'm familiar with.

This past year, I rediscovered iems after a 20 year absence from the scene. Things have changed a lot since the days of Circuit City and The Good Guys (okay, maybe more than a 20 year hiatus). I tested many options, noted below, so you can get a frame of reference.
  • My favorite iem is the ikko OH10. I was drawn to its musical presentation of instruments which sound natural and full. The sub-bass rumble and defined highs made it an even more enjoyable listen.
  • I flat-out don't like: Final 7200 (soulless, no energy, but very analytical), Legacy 3 (boomy bass, instruments sounded not-quite-right), YGF-ISS04 (just a mess).
  • I could see how others might like these, but they sounded off to my ears - either too thin/tinny or fake/plasticky sounding: FD1, KXXS, Shozy CP3 and Form 1.1, T2+.
  • I liked these, but they were not as "good" as the OH10: Yamaha EPH-200, Tape, FH5, JVC/Drop HA-FDX1.
But I quickly tired of the heavy OH10s falling out of my ears, so tried to make a custom mold using radians. I made a mistake, clogged the tube filter, and was on the hunt for a replacement (since the OH10s have been out of stock at Amazon for a long time).

The FH3s are less expensive, much lighter, have better ergonomics, a more solid cable, and come with better accessories. I enjoy the sound just slightly less than the OH10s, but they are on the same level. The FH3 bass is very good, but compared to the OH10, it is slightly boomy with just a bit less sub-bass rumble. Vocals are every-so-slightly more recessed and I hear a slight "grain" in the vocals. The vocals on the OH10 sound true, as if someone was simply singing next to me, but the FH3 sounds like a recording - a great recording, but still not the same experience. Treble on the OH10 gave me a slight problem at higher volumes, but the FH3 has the detail I'm looking for without any discomfort. The number of "wow" moments I have while listening to music is about the same as the OH10s. But take all this with a grain of salt since my OH10s are broken and I cannot do a side-by-side comparison. When it comes down to it, I have a slight preference for my memory of the OH10 sound, but what good are they if such a hassle to wear (tried lots of different tips, but not spinfits)? If possible, I suggest trying out the both OH10 and FH3; they are similar styles of headphones and both great options. (All listening done on qudelix-5k)

But if you want to know the truth, you've got to follow the money. I'm keeping my FH3s and not waiting for the OH10s to come back in stock. The FH3 is a great iem - I would purchase it over any competitors under $300. I haven't tried anything over that price, but I doubt there is a magical "next echelon" of iems which exist just above $300, so I'm sure the FH3 would compete in the $300+ range as well.

Some photos:

[Earhooks are comfortable and sturdy, but mmcx connectors are extremely tight and I have yet to remove the cables.]
cTlTXN5.jpg

[Beautiful design. Light but durable.]
67FFvrm.jpg

[Non-removable filters]
9lHLHdX.jpg

[Ergonomic fit.]
8vcH7u6.jpg

[Surprise! Left looks identical to right.]
bscPk3s.jpg

[Cable is springy and wants to be straight, but I don't find it bothersome. Doesn't tangle. Looks very nice and sparkles under the right light.]
ZRTHyMM.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #268 of 2,793

- I agree, the FH3 is the best overall sounding IEM of those you mentioned.
- I understand what you mean. I find the mid bass to be a little too much to work well with all genres (think classical and jazz).
- I‘d consider listening to the T2+ before making any decisions. It’s certainly not “better“ than the FH3, but it is different. It has more of a “neutral with boosted bass” signature. I find it has noticeably more treble extension and quantity, which you may or may not like.

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #269 of 2,793
Is the treble peak at 8khz bothersome? The treble area seems a bit uneven which is concerning. I prefer neutral/smooth response, I'm worried this will be bother me.
Looking at some measurements - something like the Andromeda seems lot more even and smooth in the frequency, even with it's slight sparkly treble peak.

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:54 AM Post #270 of 2,793
I picked up the FH3 from Amazon a few days ago, and am happy with my purchase. I'm planning to enter Fiio's cable promotion and here is my evaluation of the FH3 in the context of other iems I'm familiar with.

This past year, I rediscovered iems after a 20 year absence from the scene. Things have changed a lot since the days of Circuit City and The Good Guys (okay, maybe more than a 20 year hiatus). I tested many options, noted below, so you can get a frame of reference.
  • My favorite iem is the ikko OH10. I was drawn to its musical presentation of instruments which sound natural and full. The sub-bass rumble and defined highs made it an even more enjoyable listen.
  • I flat-out don't like: Final 7200 (soulless, no energy, but very analytical), Legacy 3 (boomy bass, instruments sounded not-quite-right), YGF-ISS04 (just a mess).
  • I could see how others might like these, but they sounded off to my ears - either too thin/tinny or fake/plasticky sounding: FD1, KXXS, Shozy CP3 and Form 1.1, T2+.
  • I liked these, but they were not as "good" as the OH10: Yamaha EPH-200, Tape, FH5, JVC/Drop HA-FDX1.
But I quickly tired of the heavy OH10s falling out of my ears, so tried to make a custom mold using radians. I made a mistake, clogged the tube filter, and was on the hunt for a replacement (since the OH10s have been out of stock at Amazon for a long time).

The FH3s are less expensive, much lighter, have better ergonomics, a more solid cable, and come with better accessories. I enjoy the sound just slightly less than the OH10s, but they are on the same level. The FH3 bass is very good, but compared to the OH10, it is slightly boomy with just a bit less sub-bass rumble. Vocals are every-so-slightly more recessed and I hear a slight "grain" in the vocals. The vocals on the OH10 sound true, as if someone was simply singing next to me, but the FH3 sounds like a recording - a great recording, but still not the same experience. Treble on the OH10 gave me a slight problem at higher volumes, but the FH3 has the detail I'm looking for without any discomfort. The number of "wow" moments I have while listening to music is about the same as the OH10s. But take all this with a grain of salt since my OH10s are broken and I cannot do a side-by-side comparison. When it comes down to it, I have a slight preference for my memory of the OH10 sound, but what good are they if such a hassle to wear (tried lots of different tips, but not spinfits)? If possible, I suggest trying out the both OH10 and FH3; they are similar styles of headphones and both great options. (All listening done on qudelix-5k)

But if you want to know the truth, you've got to follow the money. I'm keeping my FH3s and not waiting for the OH10s to come back in stock. The FH3 is a great iem - I would purchase it over any competitors under $300. I haven't tried anything over that price, but I doubt there is a magical "next echelon" of iems which exist just above $300, so I'm sure the FH3 would compete in the $300+ range as well.

Some photos:

[Earhooks are comfortable and sturdy, but mmcx connectors are extremely tight and I have yet to remove the cables.]
cTlTXN5.jpg

[Beautiful design. Light but durable.]
67FFvrm.jpg

[Non-removable filters]
9lHLHdX.jpg

[Ergonomic fit.]
8vcH7u6.jpg

[Surprise! Left looks identical to right.]
bscPk3s.jpg

[Cable is springy and wants to be straight, but I don't find it bothersome. Doesn't tangle. Looks very nice and sparkles under the right light.]
ZRTHyMM.jpg
Thanks for sharing your experience. Me too have ikko oh10 and it was my favorite iem from what i have. But after fh3 they share the first place in different scenarios. As i have them both i could compare them and could say that if one wins in one place, other wins in other. Highs for example is really better tuned in fh3 and this is clear, fh have good details but as all listeners state - without harshness or sibilance. That's why it is so good and fits many genres and sibilant recordings. Ikko looses there as they tend to smooth out, not extract needed details or just part of it. This i see when comparing directly. Bass side is more complicated. But agree that for some music fh3 could have a little too much of bass or subbas, but it is really good quality, fast and textured. So this i correct with more middle to treble oriented tips ( best what have tried jvc spiral dots) that makes bass more correct for my taste and music. Also helps to give good source with balanced output to tighten bass even more. So this could be done from your side in the future. And after this i don't know who is the winer in bass department. ikko and fh both have amazingly good bass and subbass, only fh perhaps better punch in mid bass. Middle is in about the same level, but ikko is tuned a little bit different as a whole with more funny and musical goal in mind and fh3 still has some analytical small side in their nature left so this could help or not with different source and genres. I still feel that fh3 a little bit better at technical level and this is their other bonus over ikko10. In my opinion for guy like me who want to enjoy the music with possibility to analise it when needed not paying thousands for this - both of these iems are great and at "enough" level to give this. But fh3 still wins in my list for doing this a little bit better. So your decision to leave fh3 i think is really good choice. Wish you long enjoyable listening with these iems that fiio made. :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back