FiiO Hybrid IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Sep 13, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #288 of 2,807
I've started doing some cable rolling with the FH3. I tried a KBear Rhyme 2.5mm balanced cable, in the end it seemed to offer the same basic sound compared to the stock 3.5mm cable, although the KBear cable was a lot more comfortable to wear. The more interesting pairing is with the Elecro Acousti 4 core copper litz cable (it's "number 170" on hakuzen's list), mine is 3.5mm unbalanced.

I had bought this cable intending to use it with my JVC HA-FDX1, but the pairing just didn't work well at all for whatever reason. I've basically never really used this cable since, since it didn't work out with the IEMs I had intended it for, and I didn't have any other good mmcx sets where standard over-ear cable fit would work. The FH3 sounds great with that cable though. Bass has even more definition, there's a more "black background", and layering/separation seems a touch better.

I'm glad I can finally get some use out of this very nicely made cable.

Sep 14, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #289 of 2,807
I think it, as always comes down to what you listen to and how you use them. Technically, the increased perception of detail is better on the FH3 for me as I tend to listen to more vocal focused music and its more forward presentation suits that compared to the more recessed midrange on the N3. This holds true for the treble as well where there is more emphasis with the FH3 - neither is in any way overly sibilant or fatiguing.

Bass is where both of these excel but in different ways and I chalk it up to how my brain interprets the overall frequency response of each IEM as a whole. The graphs may not necessarily bear this out, and this is why I don’t I don’t base my choices off of them, but the N3 has great overall tone with good extension, quantity, and note definition, but it is always present and my attention is ultimately drawn more towards the left side of the FR curve. This is not the case with the FH3 as the more forward mids stay up front until it is time for the bass to announce itself which it can do with great speed, tone, and dynamics and this is what accounts for the fun factor I alluded to in my previous post.

Fit, ease of use, and accessories is where the FH3 pulls ahead with respect to user experience and value. The N3 is easy to put in your ear, but that makes it easy as well to come out as most of the weight is centered at the furthest point from your ear where the cable attaches and pulls down. The ear tip is the only thing holding it in. The cable is most likely light for this reason, but it is extremely thin and tangles easily. I’ve upgraded my cable and recommend it, but it is one more additional cost. The FH3, on the other hand, is extremely comfortable for my ears and the cable is of great quality and helps it stay put.

If money is an issue, the N3 is not the best choice here at double the price not including a possible cable upgrade. I’m a huge Sony fan and realize things like collectibility and residual value can come into play, especially with iems that were test beds for technology that eventually went into the Z1R, but you should not be worrying too much about missing out on much, if anything. Good luck.
Thank you for the detailed response. That clear things up. I guess my next IEM will be FH3 then.

Sep 14, 2020 at 6:48 AM Post #291 of 2,807
Hi!

I am interested in the FH3, anyone can compare them to the ibasso it01s? Is my current iem, is worth the upgrade?

I use the IT01S as my daily iem and love it. The price is a bit higher than the FH3, but this new iem by FiiO seems to be very very interesting. I’m surely going to buy them and will let you know, but at the moment I can’t do a comparison.

Sep 14, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #292 of 2,807
I ordered the FH3... I don't expect it to dethrone my Andromeda or Sony IERM7 - I hope it's not too V shaped and strays towards neutrality more

Sep 14, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #293 of 2,807
I ordered the FH3... I don't expect it to dethrone my Andromeda or Sony IERM7 - I hope it's not too V shaped and strays towards neutrality more
To me, it sounds more L-shaped or W-shaped.

Sep 14, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #294 of 2,807
Sep 14, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #295 of 2,807
Agree on it being L-shaped. Definitely not V-shaped.

L shaped meaning more sub bass but the rest of the spectrum is even? If that's the case then that's easily manageable with a touch of gentle eq.

Sep 14, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #296 of 2,807
anyone tried the LC-4.4C (all silver) Fiio cable? Any changes to the audio?

Sep 14, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #297 of 2,807
L shaped meaning more sub bass but the rest of the spectrum is even? If that's the case then that's easily manageable with a touch of gentle eq.
yes, but both sub/mid are elevated but with more sub over mid-bass.

Sep 14, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #298 of 2,807
yes, but both sub/mid are elevated but with more sub over mid-bass.

I can work with that - if that's the case it's still coherent and easily adaptable touch of broad eq. Did you spot any issues with uneven treble - some measurements show bit of a 8khz peak (in relation to the dips next to it) - this can come across harsh maybe even if the treble volume is lower in general?

Sep 14, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #299 of 2,807
I can work with that - if that's the case it's still coherent and easily adaptable touch of broad eq. Did you spot any issues with uneven treble - some measurements show bit of a 8khz peak (in relation to the dips next to it) - this can come across harsh maybe even if the treble volume is lower in general?
I am not sensitive to 8k at all, so cant help you with that.

@PapaEmeritus Is more sensitive to the upper treble than I am, so maybe he can help you.

But from what I got the treble is really even, except for like over 10k+ where I would like some more quantity so the air is better. But that is me nitpicking because of my experience with the LZ A6 (which is my treble king).

Sep 14, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #300 of 2,807
I am sensitive to certain treble peaks, including 8KHz peaks, if disproportionately elevated compared to surrounding frequencies. I don’t find the FH3 treble harsh. There is good sparkle and clarity, with decent extension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back