Fiio FT5
Nov 20, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #153 of 352
Would @FiiO Lee explain why “scooped mids” in ft5?
Hi, this is our engineer's intention. If there are no "scooped mids", the FT5 will sound crowded and the soundstage will become narrower, and it may lead to a tired listening experience.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 20, 2023 at 10:40 PM Post #154 of 352
Hi, this is our engineer's intention. If there are no "scooped mids", the FT5 will sound crowded and the soundstage will become narrower, and it may lead to a tired listening experience.
Thanks lee!!

I’m riding this fiio wave. I went all in with ft3 ft5 and fx15. Pushing everything with dx311.2. Maybe good pairings since I think amp11 is so midforward

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #155 of 352
I feel like that frequency response looks pretty damn good!

Doesn’t resemble anything like Hifiman, Beyerdynamic, or Grado.
yes, plus he is saying, they are wrm and relaxed, which is exactly to my liking. they really seem to bring the signature to the planar world, that we last time had with the Oppo PM1/2. To my ears hifiman are too brigh, Audeze to me is shouty in the upper mids. My Avatone Planar pro is neutral but not exactly warm or relaxed, tho more so than hifimans. So i couldnt be more excited and will buy it. Sadly they are no where to buy in Germany at all and Ali doesnt send here many more. I need to move out of europe.

Nov 21, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #156 of 352
That's the vibe I am getting reading some reviews and feedback. Nice looking 'phones, well built and nice sound. Solid value.
Doesn't exactly scream must haves to me. :grin:

I am thinking more about some screamin' deals from HiFiman. Sundara closed backs @ $149.00 and HE-R10D's @ $409.00 (less without wireless).
I am not a huge fan of closed backs, but I am always on the hunt for a fun sound.

Both will likely be a love it or hate it kind of thing. As opposed to a safe/nice purchase.
sure, if you are into bright, thin sound and discomfort, you can always go with hifimans offerings.

Nov 21, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #157 of 352
Fiio FT5 impression (approx 100hrs burn-in): A Mesmerizing Blend of Bass, Treble, and Clarity

Soundstage-wise, the FT5 impresses with its spaciousness, ranking just a notch or two below the expansive soundstage of the HD800. It feels similar at least very slightly wider to both the Arya and HE1000 presentations, providing an open and airy listening experience. The leather ear cups play a significant role in enhancing the space and bass, making it punchier and more profound, a rare feat for open-back planar headphones. It's remarkable how the FT5 manages to sound like a closed-back bass punch while still offering the benefits of an open-back soundstage. It's definitely punchier and has more bass qty than Arya/HE1000, HD650, and Neuman NDH 30. (need time to test others soon).
Thank you for sharing your impressions! Most important thing for me in a headphone arent details or special parts of tonality but soundstage and specially soundstage depth and layering. Now that you said they are only a few notches behind an HD800 i immediately want them now! I mean now!

Nov 21, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #159 of 352
Does anyone think people’s reviews are often biased / hyperbolized by their own subconscious justification for spending money on them?
i think everyone has his preferences and focuses on different things. Once you know what a reviewer says about some headphones you know, you know, if he/she hears things the way you do and can alter that to further reviews by him. For example i know that most reviewers like their highs and upper mids over emphesized, as they think headphones are more detailed with this tuning. So everytime a reviewer says that a headphone is bland, boring, misses treble glare or similar, i know the headphone might be to my liking.

Nov 21, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #160 of 352
sure, if you are into bright, thin sound and discomfort, you can always go with hifimans offerings.
I love my HE6se V2's, although they do need a good amp partner.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2023 at 6:33 AM Post #161 of 352
I was looking for flat response like ft3 and dca expanse, without much dips and peaks. Ft3's higher impedance is another plus which makes it a good match for modern high output sources like chord tt2 and mojo2. So Ft5 is out of choice. I am very happy with ft3.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #163 of 352
Fiio FT5 review (approx 100hrs burn-in): A Mesmerizing Blend of Bass, Treble, and Clarity

The Fiio FT5 stands out primarily for its robust bass reproduction, effortlessly encompassing both mid and sub-bass, especially when paired with the leather pad. This is a notable achievement, as most planar headphones typically excel in sub-bass but fall short in mid-bass. The FT5, however, breaks this mold, delivering a bass experience that is both full-bodied and deeply satisfying.

Fans of the warm, inviting Sennheiser sound profile, reminiscent of the iconic HD650, will find the FT5 a joy to listen to. These headphones combine the fast response typical of planar models with superior resolution and an extended treble range, offering a listening experience that is both immersive and detailed. The bass is not just deep; it’s a delightful journey through the lower frequencies, outperforming many planar competitors in bass quantity.

However, the FT5's bass is slightly different – it's a bit slower, with a longer decay, more akin to dynamic bass than the quick decay typical of planar bass. This lends a natural and enjoyable character to the sound. It's by no means a sluggish or boomy bass; rather, it strikes a balance, being reasonably fast for a dynamic but not as rapid as some planar models.

The vocals on the FT5 are clear and lifelike, though they don't quite match the romantic quality of the HD650, mainly because the extended high and low ends slightly overshadow the midrange. Nonetheless, the vocals are still impressive, with a warmth and clarity that add a new dimension to the sound. While they may not rival the natural tonality of the HD6XX series or the accuracy of the Numan NDH30, they do offer a similar warmth and boldness, with an added layer of clarity to the mentioned headphones. You are basically getting a romantic vocal, with a lot more resolution and clarity than both the HD650 sound profile. Die-hard vocal fans of the HD6XX series will find it a little lacking in tonal accuracies, but then they are comparing it to the king of vocals headphones of all time. I suspect most people coming from Hifiman Arya or He1000 will love the more relaxed and romantic vocal of the FT5. It's like the middle ground between the super relaxed HD6xx series and the "too" energetic Hifiman Arya/HE1000. It's just the right blend. Good thing - there is no sibilance on the vocal, just shouty at times when needed.

The FT5 also manages to control sibilance effectively, a common issue with many planar headphones. This makes for a more pleasant listening experience at higher volumes, with an impressive level of detail and resolution that rivals even the Arya/HE1000 in terms of detail. - it's not there yet, but pretty darn close. I would rather give up some super resolutions and stay sibilance-free. The Arya and HIfiman cross into the sibilance level and although it sounds great in the first 2 hrs, fatigue slowly sets in. I have to take it off, the FT5, I can wear all day long. No issue.

1700259294264.jpeg

Soundstage-wise, the FT5 impresses with its spaciousness, ranking just a notch or two below the expansive soundstage of the HD800. It feels similar at least very slightly wider to both the Arya and HE1000 presentations, providing an open and airy listening experience. The leather ear cups play a significant role in enhancing the space and bass, making it punchier and more profound, a rare feat for open-back planar headphones. It's remarkable how the FT5 manages to sound like a closed-back bass punch while still offering the benefits of an open-back soundstage. It's definitely punchier and has more bass qty than Arya/HE1000, HD650, and Neuman NDH 30. (need time to test others soon).

The Fiio FT5 shines not just with its robust bass reproduction, but also with its treble, which is my second favorite feature. The treble delivery is something many planar headphones struggle with, but the FT5 excels in this area. It offers a relaxed treble that is free from harshness, yet still manages to deliver crisp edges and realistic crashes. Impressively, it achieves this while completely avoiding sibilance – a rare feat in mid-level planar headphones today.

The treble resolution of the FT5 is pretty good, surpassing the HD6xx series. It extends to the level of Hifiman Arya/HE1000 in terms of range, but without the sibilance and harshness often associated with those models. The FT5 strikes just the right balance of brightness, making it a pleasure to listen to. I particularly enjoy the highs on the FT5; they allow me to play even the harshest music at higher volumes without experiencing fatigue. While its resolution and crispness may not match the Arya or HE1000, the lack of fatigue-inducing sibilance more than makes up for it. This balance is precisely what I look for in high-quality headphones.

Priced at just $499, the Fiio FT5 is an exceptional value, offering deep, punchy bass and an expansive soundstage that is hard to find in other planar headphones in this price range. While it may not match the top-of-the-line planar headphones in every aspect, it stands out as an excellent choice for its price. These are just my initial impressions, and I look forward to exploring these headphones further and comparing them against other models. But as of now, the FT5 has truly impressed me with its overall sound quality and the level of depth and punch it brings to the table, best of all, $499 and comes with a not-too-bad cable. hah!.. and they throw in a cute brown pleather case.

The construction of the headphones is high quality. It feels like an Audeze LCD X, all metal constructions that are lighter and way more comfortable. The cups are large enough to cover all my ears. The Hifiman Arya and HE1000 are still the king of comfort in my opinion, with barely any weight and a super large cup. It's a middle ground between the Audeze and Hifiman in comfort level. They do feel more well-built than most planar headphones out there, with no creaking sound whatsoever.

I suspect the FT5 will go down to become one of those legendary headphones that are affordable and sound really good with not much technical fault. It's a safe headphone with a pleasing tonality. I also think it will pop up in the hall of fame on some reviewer website sitting next to those legendary phones like the Sennheiser 6xx, Hifiman Ananda/Arya, Focal Clear, and many others in the mid-range section.. now add Fiio FT5 to that list.

3-word summary - Well done Fiio.

could you expand more into the sonic characteristics vs. the LCD X?

Nov 25, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #164 of 352
I am interested in the FT3 32 Ohm because Fiio stated that my Q3 MQA has not enough power to drive the original 350 Ohm version. Seems like the 32Ohm version has a LCP Aluminum-plated + Aluminum Metal Composite diaphragm so sounds (probably) different. Seems the FT3 sounds better than the FT5 as far as I can read the reviews…

The 32Ohm version is available in the Fiio Shop Germany. Shipping within the EU free of charge (from 49€)
https://fiio-shop.de/kopfhoerer/over-ear-kopfhoerer/1619/fiio-ft3-32-ohm?number=HL02164.32Ohm#

Nov 25, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #165 of 352

Users who are viewing this thread

Back