[FiiO FH7] Flagship 5-Driver (1DD + 4BAs) Hybrid In-Ear Monitors, Knowles DFK + SWFK Composite BA Drivers, 13.6mm Beryllium DD Driver
Apr 22, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #1,831 of 1,922
I've been having some serious problems with my FH7's. The MMCX on the left earpiece has consistently been cutting out. I tried all the tricks, changing cables, using the fork trick to pinch the cable end, etc, etc. Still no good. Ultimately the connection of the inner wire was not being made properly.

I had all but shelved my beloved FH7's and today I was thinking about the problem. If I could reduce the distance between the earpiece and the wire, I could perhaps effectively improve the wire contact, i thought to myself.

With this in mind, and ready to bin my FH7's I thought what have I got to lose, so I took out my angle grinder and ground about half a millimetre off the aluminium face of the earpiece, where it connects to the wire. I clicked the MMCX connector back on and noted the fit was much looser, BUT i was getting a good sound. I got some super glue and glued the MMCX cable end to the earpiece and allowed to dry. Now it's working like a charm. No cutouts, I have my FH7's back, hard wired, but working perfectly. Woohoo.

Sometimes dire situations need drastic measures!
creative solution. but you can't change cables anymore, right?

Apr 22, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #1,833 of 1,922
true, they are just too good for that price. i even like them more than my sennheiser ie900.

Apr 22, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #1,834 of 1,922
Speaking of using my “new” FH7s, I figure I have at least 75 hours of burn-in on them now. I’m going to spend the weekend with them and my “also new” DX160, at my in-laws family reunion. Review coming of a systemic nature…

Apr 26, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #1,835 of 1,922
creative solution. but you can't change cables anymore, right?
Well... if you're careful with a couple of pairs of pliers, the superglue can be broken, the faces carefully cleaned up and then resealed. I had to redo them in fact as the connection was not quite perfect on the first attempt. Now it's been a few months and they're working fine, touch wood. Like Judge says, they're too good to be left in a drawer :)

Apr 28, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #1,836 of 1,922
Speaking of using my “new” FH7s, I figure I have at least 75 hours of burn-in on them now. I’m going to spend the weekend with them and my “also new” DX160, at my in-laws family reunion. Review coming of a systemic nature…
how is it going so far?

May 13, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #1,837 of 1,922
Now i've got my FH7's working again, am thinking of getting the Ifi Go Blu, and connecting via 4.4mm.

My only concern will be noise. Any users here who have heard that pairing and can advise on noise levels?

Cheers!
I had the Go Blu along with the BTR5 and Qudelix and only kept the BTR5. Sounds way better than the other two with high gain on paired with the FH7. But they're cheap enough you could just try all three for yourself and return what you don't want.

May 13, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #1,838 of 1,922
Being a budget-fi kind of guy, the FH7 has been $300+ out of my league. Recently, I lost my old xDuoo X20 and I came to HF looking for a replacement upgrade in the classifieds. Bought a great mint DX160 and decided to get an IEM that would complement them. The classifieds had a FH7 with “5 hours on them.” I got them for a ridiculous price with all the original accoutrements. I’ll be back to give my old-guy budget-fi review of what I hope are amazing $210 IEMs…
I'm being completely honest with you, I prefer my FH7s to my MEST MKII 80% of the time. And I had the OG Monarch, Excalibur, Oracle, Variations, Tea, Isabellae, FH9, FA9, etc. FH7 beat them all to my ears, I don't miss any one of them at all. I'd sell the MEST too if it didn't perform so beautifully with classical and acoustic music.

Long story short, the FH7s are legitimate endgame IEMs if you like the sound signature. Other sets will do some things better but these are the epitome of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts, it gives me goosebumps every time I use it.

May 14, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #1,839 of 1,922
how is it going so far?
I’m taking my time. I have only a couple of mmcx cables since I’ve been KZ-ing for years. I’ve bought a few from Ali and they all haven’t arrived.

But I love my FH7s. Detailed but musical. Not for small ears. Tips are too important.

May 15, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #1,841 of 1,922
Spinfit 145s are the best I found for these
fiio provides a silver cable for a relatively fair price i would recommend.

May 15, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #1,842 of 1,922
Oddly enough I prefer a little $20 copper cable from Amazon to their LC-RD. I wish more cables had modular connections like that though.

I've also been meaning to ask, why do you like the fh7 more than the ie900? I was looking at that one.

May 15, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #1,843 of 1,922
Spinfit 145s are the best I found for these
Every tip affects the output. Period. I really like the SpinFit 360° too. KB Ear have the O7 series with the bigger bore, too. I actually have an L 145 in my left ear and a M 360 in my right. Beautiful with silver plated cable and the balanced filter…

May 15, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #1,844 of 1,922
Every tip affects the output. Period. I really like the SpinFit 360° too. KB Ear have the O7 series with the bigger bore, too. I actually have an L 145 in my left ear and a M 360 in my right. Beautiful with silver plated cable and the balanced filter…
Every time I try that it makes the sound too disjointed but I may give it a shot with my Mest since they sound crazy anyway.

May 15, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #1,845 of 1,922
Oddly enough I prefer a little $20 copper cable from Amazon to their LC-RD. I wish more cables had modular connections like that though.

I've also been meaning to ask, why do you like the fh7 more than the ie900? I was looking at that one.
I’ve got some great cables coming and a couple of decent ones I’ve been using. I’m planning on doing a little “round-up” of cables found marked-down on aliexpress, all on sale, <$100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back