[FiiO FH7] Flagship 5-Driver (1DD + 4BAs) Hybrid In-Ear Monitors, Knowles DFK + SWFK Composite BA Drivers, 13.6mm Beryllium DD Driver
Jul 21, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #1,667 of 1,922
Unsurprisingly in retrospect, the issues I was getting - sibilant treble and "deconstructed" bass - supposedly with specific tips, was fit-related. With the New Bee Large Memory Foam eartips (search amazon for "new bee ear tips" [I don't like to link to stores on here], it is the 6 pairs, 2 pairs of each size, item priced at $6.99 currently), and the default balanced filter, the tuning of the FH7 is just about perfect to me. The only "complaint" would be that vocals sometimes seem a bit recessed, but if that is due to having a dip ~500Hz, that's what I want (extra clarity), anyway. The seal and comfort with the New Bee tips is also just about perfect - no comfort issues at all anymore. Finally, no hiss is audible at the volume levels which I listen.

The FH7 is my go-to headphone for every use case (awesome for video games, even, especially if using virtual surround). Near-perfection (for my tastes and ears) at just $450. If I buy another IEM, it will be another FH7, for fear that one day my current FH7 will stop working.

I have decided against getting an RME ADI-2 DAC FS. Would be a waste of money over something like a Topping D50S (which is probably what I'll get) since I don't need the ADI-2's extra (mostly EQ-related, which I have Equalizer APO for [absolutely no need to EQ the FH7, though!]) features. Further, a very small, if not imaginary (outside of inaudible measurable improvements), difference in sound quality is not worth $900 to me.

Jul 23, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #1,668 of 1,922
Thanks for the feedback. Enjoy it!
1595493596559.png

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 24, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #1,669 of 1,922
I just received the Legacy 9 and after two days, it's making me appreciate some of my other sets that I have not listened to as much lately. The FiiO FH7 is fast bass, but not as deep. I like bass, but sometimes you want a lighter touch. I don't ever EQ any more - I just swap IEMs, and now I need to see if I can carry two with my M11 case. :)

Attachments

• graph (2).png
    graph (2).png
    281.8 KB · Views: 0
Jul 25, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #1,670 of 1,922
I'm kinda sorta making a list, that will be whittled down before the U.S. holiday season, of sub-$700USD DD and hybrid IEMs (I'm just not down with non-DD/hybrid in general; I need DD for the bass response/quality it brings to the table).

I am also a long time owner and appreciator of the Sony XBA-Z5. However, I think it's time for me to bring in another IEM to the mix. I am not a collector, and try to keep my on-hand gear at a minimum (I usually sell older gear shortly before or after I buy). In this case, however, I have zero intentions of selling my Z5. I love them too much.

I listen to a wide range of mostly instrumental (not classical) music; I just dig the sounds of instruments/synths more than human voices, typically. My jam is anything from electronic (trance, house, ambient, new age) to progressive rock/metal to all kinds of instrumental jazz.

That said: is adding the FH7 to evaluate further specifically worthwhile given my situation, in your (anyone's) opinion?

Jul 27, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #1,672 of 1,922
Just received the FH7 and loving the pairing with the PAW S1. I'm pretty new to IEMs overall but I think I'll be happy with this for quite some time. Instrument separation and resolution for ambient music has been superb.

Had a hell of a time finding tips that worked perfectly but figured I would mention that the Dekoni Mercury tips fit perfectly, and have so far been my favorite.

Jul 27, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #1,673 of 1,922
Yes to Dekoni Mercury tips – my favorites as well (for the FH7).

Jul 28, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #1,675 of 1,922
Just bought fh7. Have fh5s have noticed that FH7 is a much tighter sound with better separation however soundstage feels much closer to me than FH5 which makes me feel like I’m listening in a concert hall or room rather than having music played right into my ears. With FH7 have tried all filters and found that sound is better with filters removed. I have also tried all tips in the box without any improvement in the soundstage. Have heard people describe the soundstage is very wide and I’m wondering what am I missing. Have run the FH7 with 3.5 and 4.4 balanced cables. Source is Fiio m15. Did anyone else find the same or have suggestions which would help soundstage.

Jul 28, 2020 at 2:59 AM Post #1,676 of 1,922
Just bought fh7. Have fh5s have noticed that FH7 is a much tighter sound with better separation however soundstage feels much closer to me than FH5 which makes me feel like I’m listening in a concert hall or room rather than having music played right into my ears. With FH7 have tried all filters and found that sound is better with filters removed. I have also tried all tips in the box without any improvement in the soundstage. Have heard people describe the soundstage is very wide and I’m wondering what am I missing. Have run the FH7 with 3.5 and 4.4 balanced cables. Source is Fiio m15. Did anyone else find the same or have suggestions which would help soundstage. Do they need burn in for soundstage to improve?

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #1,677 of 1,922
I don't find the soundstage particularly wide either. To me where the FH7 shines is in instrument placement, separation, and clarity. But I have noticed others mention this too, so I'm not sure. Also thanks to VICosPhi for mentioning the Xelastec tips, I'll be giving those a try as well!

Jul 29, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #1,678 of 1,922
I overrated the FH7, as I tend to do with most new purchases. In direct comparison with the Sennheiser HD 800 S, there is frequently a very easy to spot difference in the amount of air & clarity, soundstaging (of course), and the sense of the sound being "real" instead of just listening to a recording.

The FH7 is stil an extremely good value (~$1000 would be a fair price, IMO) and is my go-to if I need noise isolation or want something a bit different than the HD 800 S. I'm also done with IEMs unless I want to take a gamble on something like the Final Audio A8000. The HD 800 S is just unbeatable for me (since the first day I got it), and if I need it to have bass, I just use graphic EQ: 20 Hz 0 dB, with a line going down to -8 dB at 130Hz, and a flat line out from there. Even with the EQ, the HD 800 S is still way ahead of the FH7 on the traits I listed in the prior paragraph.

Aug 2, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #1,680 of 1,922
Has anyone upgraded from Audiosense T800s and ended up "downgrading" to them from the FH7? This is rather perplexing because the FiiO FH7 and Fearless Audio S8F are said to be the best mid-range IEM's by an absolute landslide for extreme Metal (check out the Metal-Fi megathreads), especially for the subgenres I listen to (Black, Death, Doom, Thrash), but I just don't enjoy them as much. In fact, they're supposed to be so good for Metal along the S8F (which I realize now that I would dislike more than the FH7) that they only get surpassed by the Tia Trio at a hefty price of $2300. I've tried all possible tips and filter combos and prefer the treble/black stock filter with Azla Sedna EarFitLights (or even the stock CP145 in Large blues work ok, along the bass tips in large). They're also not nearly as good a fit for my ears as the T800s but that's highly personal, the T800s feels like they were built for my ear canals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back