[FiiO FH7] Flagship 5-Driver (1DD + 4BAs) Hybrid In-Ear Monitors, Knowles DFK + SWFK Composite BA Drivers, 13.6mm Beryllium DD Driver
Oct 14, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #1,276 of 1,922
I don't think the U12t quite compares to the Legend X in bass.
My bad, i just forgot we discuss about full BA. But you said it was not artificial. that why i linked LX into our point. I must to try both to juge.

I found the change from SPC to copper makes the FH7 sound less 'digital', not that it sounds digital. But I hope you get what I mean. It's smoother and more 'natural' to my ears.
Your'e right !
I can't find better words. I agree with a more "analogic sound" but overall too dark for me.
It miss a bit of grain to sound fully analogical. It feel analogical but less analytical. i don't know if i'm clear in my words :/

Oct 14, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #1,279 of 1,922
Its goood to know theres some people who likes the d version
I'm sure there are plenty who love the silver cable. Especially if you like an ultra-clear/bright/resolving sound signature. I personally don't but that doesn't mean it's not a great combo.

Oct 14, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #1,280 of 1,922
Twister pointed me to the silver cable as well as the treble filters, it's a great combo for the majority of the music I listen to. To be able to hone in on a specific sound signature/preference is very rewarding to the ears.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #1,281 of 1,922
Twister pointed me to the silver cable as well as the treble filters, it's a great combo for the majority of the music I listen to. To be able to hone in on a specific sound signature/preference is very rewarding to the ears.
@twister6 also put me on to these OE mmcx to 2-pin adapters, which I’ve used to convert this single crystal copper cable for the FH7. Top quality sound all round (bass filters for me).

F0B7CEEA-5757-4316-87A4-B57A0CE04B72.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #1,284 of 1,922
Very brief first impressions switching from the balanced FiiO SPC cable to a third-party single crystal copper cable: a smoother, easier listen without compromising detail. Takes the 'sheen' off some vocals and instruments, presenting them more naturally. Had I not heard it for myself I wouldn't have believed such differences can be had with a cable change - and although it's still early days, and I'm not sure if it's the actual physical material, construction, connectors or whatever might have resulted in this positive change, all I know is that it's positive. And from everything I've read about pure copper as a cable material, in that it's more 'relaxed' than silver/SPC, with a fuller low end and slightly tamed highs, this is exactly what I'm hearing doing an A/B with the two cables. Coincidence? Who knows?
How much difference does quality of cable actually make? I have a cheap copper 4.4 cable that I bought off AliExpress so I don't know how good the thing actually is. I can't imagine it's really that good, but does a cheap cable kill quality enough to ruin the experience?

Oct 15, 2019 at 1:48 AM Post #1,285 of 1,922
cable that you can recommend? you were saying about a copper.
I’ve a nOOb when it comes to cables to be honest. This was my first real attempt at telling a difference between different materials, and to my surprise there actually is one! This particular cable is one I leeched from another IEM (IMR R2 Aten).

Oct 15, 2019 at 1:51 AM Post #1,286 of 1,922
How much difference does quality of cable actually make? I have a cheap copper 4.4 cable that I bought off AliExpress so I don't know how good the thing actually is. I can't imagine it's really that good, but does a cheap cable kill quality enough to ruin the experience?
I do think cable quality matters, and even more so with silver (which is very expensive to make properly). That said the cable I’m using now probably doesn’t cost more than $100 to buy (you can’t buy them OEM) but I honestly can’t say where the line is when it comes to decent cable quality. I certainly wouldn’t go spending more than $150 or $200 on a copper cable under any circumstances, but maybe that’s an arbitrary limit borne of my inexperience with these things.

Oct 15, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #1,287 of 1,922
Question, does anyone have a kind of reference like to what this could compare thinking on headphones? I have the he400i and I'm happy, but would like something better, could the FH7 be that?? Or I should go for really high end iems??

Thank you!!

Oct 18, 2019 at 1:16 AM Post #1,288 of 1,922
Question, does anyone have a kind of reference like to what this could compare thinking on headphones? I have the he400i and I'm happy, but would like something better, could the FH7 be that?? Or I should go for really high end iems??

Thank you!!

In all honesty I don't think you'll get a better sound for near the price of the FH7. I have some reference Beyerdynamic T1 overears and can happily switch from one to the other, and actually prefer the FH7 a lot of the time. The FH7 are very open, clear, dynamic and engaging. Bass is dry, accurate and doesn't overshadow the midrange which is really fast and clear so they give me a soundstage which defies the physical presence of the things being in my ears. Personally I don't feel any need to look further. ps...you'll need to get the right tip and filter combination for you, in my case i use the reference grey filters and comply foam tips. Oh and I have tried the Andromedas, which were great but really bass light to my ears; the FH7's are better IMHO.

Oct 18, 2019 at 1:26 AM Post #1,289 of 1,922
In all honesty I don't think you'll get a better sound for near the price of the FH7. I have some reference Beyerdynamic T1 overears and can happily switch from one to the other, and actually prefer the FH7 a lot of the time. The FH7 are very open, clear, dynamic and engaging. Bass is dry, accurate and doesn't overshadow the midrange which is really fast and clear so they give me a soundstage which defies the physical presence of the things being in my ears. Personally I don't feel any need to look further. ps...you'll need to get the right tip and filter combination for you, in my case i use the reference grey filters and comply foam tips. Oh and I have tried the Andromedas, which were great but really bass light to my ears; the FH7's are better IMHO.
I fully second this. If you like the sound profile of the FH7, you’ll be stunned at how good they are when you start comparing with other IEMs (and headphones). Add to that they’re some of the most comfortable and better made IEMs I’ve used, and you have the whole package.

Is there better? Sure - but you’re going to pay more than double, even triple, to get it.

Oct 18, 2019 at 2:34 AM Post #1,290 of 1,922
I fully second this. If you like the sound profile of the FH7, you’ll be stunned at how good they are when you start comparing with other IEMs (and headphones). Add to that they’re some of the most comfortable and better made IEMs I’ve used, and you have the whole package.

Is there better? Sure - but you’re going to pay more than double, even triple, to get it.

Right gLer.

There's one review which compares the FH7 favourably to the Campfire Solaris which is something I had my sights on eventually, pending major windfall. The Solaris has been lauded for it's detached, very detailed and spacious soundstage. I can imagine the sound, having listened to the FH7's probably for several hundred hours now. The Solaris has 2 major downfalls for me (apart from being nearly 2k USD, lol) 1) they're very bling and 2) they could become uncomfortable. The FH7 has those bases covered too. Really I can't think of a better mainstream all-rounder. As we've said before, there comes a point at which the itch doesn't need scratching anymore.

Edit: and as per your excellent review (http://theheadonist.com/2019/09/18/fiio-fh7-high-end-goes-mainstream/ ) if I may quote from it: "Frankly, the combination of FiiO’s M11 (reviewed here) and FH7 is close enough to the quality of my (significantly more expensive) desktop head-fi system – with the added convenience of portability and isolation – that I find myself using it more and more, and the desktop rig less and less. "

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back