[FiiO FH7] Flagship 5-Driver (1DD + 4BAs) Hybrid In-Ear Monitors, Knowles DFK + SWFK Composite BA Drivers, 13.6mm Beryllium DD Driver
Oct 21, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #1,306 of 1,922
Ref tuning on the FH7, I really enjoy the speed and precision of the bass, it really gives me a a great basis for a reference sound which allows me to get to the heart of the music (musicality certainly isn't lacking for me); I can follow strands within mixes so well, especially jamband stuff (try Gov't Mule for this for example Devil Likes It Slow) or dense jazz or symphonic. I am even getting some noticeable differences between DAP's, with the ability to follow instruments better on the M11 than the X7ii with AM5, but with the X7ii giving a more dynamic, visceral approach. With lesser iems these subleties are smothered.

Perhaps try some different tips which will fill out the bass; have you guys tried foam tips?
Yes I agree. The FH7 is not for bassheads! A dynamic driver doesn’t automatically mean big, booming bass - in fact quite the opposite if you’re talking higher-end DD, which is what the FH7 is. It is tuned slightly brighter, that’s true, so I suggest you try the bass filter + Comply tips for the best seal/max bass. If that’s still not enough for you, then it’s probably not the right IEM for you. It happens.

Oct 21, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #1,307 of 1,922
Yes I agree. The FH7 is not for bassheads! A dynamic driver doesn’t automatically mean big, booming bass - in fact quite the opposite if you’re talking higher-end DD, which is what the FH7 is. It is tuned slightly brighter, that’s true, so I suggest you try the bass filter + Comply tips for the best seal/max bass. If that’s still not enough for you, then it’s probably not the right IEM for you. It happens.

On a side note, personally, I view iems as I do any other piece of kit, they should ideally just disappear and let the production of the album shine through. For that, the FH7s are marvellous. That's the definition of Hi Fidelity.

Oct 21, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #1,309 of 1,922
Yeah...I'm quite confused as to why bass is on the dry side, loud and fast rather than soft and naturally "slow", as slow as the recording permits, but not flabby and loose. Proper separation as well to prevent the looseness from spoiling everything.

Unfortunately, there are no tools available to tune ADSR. All that's available is EQ, graphic or parametric. Which allows us to flatten the FR and hammer down obnoxious bass/mids/treble (loudness), but does nothing to adjust the length (long/short decay and release). EQ is just volume. If only i could have something to adjust my ASG-1Plus as well, but so far, nothing. That's why I run bit-perfect mode. I need to tame volume, and prolong the release. Since it's not possible with just EQ alone, bit-perfect.

I'm not sure why the tuning decision doesn't reflect on the choice of driver. Normally dynamic drivers can "wobble" before stopping longer than BAs, and provide natural sound. It looks like every company in this era prefers to jack up the volume of bass, and reduce the duration as compensation. It's the opposite of what some of us prefer. Permissive, with proper sustain, and prolonged fade-away as the recording allows it to be (Akon - I Wanna **** You) yet fast&dry when it is required (Lamb of God - Black Label). The amp should do the proper job of braking, not the IEM constantly trying to be dry and dispassionate.

These days, everything is fast, fast, fast. Punchy and kicky. Thud, shut up. Kick, shut up. Bump, shut up...not enough elongated brrrrrr bass. I remember the "bullet time" sound from The Matrix lasting at least 2 seconds or more. IEMs these days shorten that entire sound to just less than 1 second. Not a very nice thing to do.

For hiss, maybe try using an IEMatch if you don't mind multiple dongles and attachments. As long as you're happy and there are no more hiss. For bass duration...unfortunately, as above.
You raise some ideas that contradict the original ideal of high fidelity and my own sonic ideals. There are no sound transducers that reproduce transients too fast and have too much control over membrane movement. Quite the opposite: All existing transducer principles have the problem that their membranes can't follow the music signal fast enough; it would require zero moving mass/inertia and an acoustic environment free from reflections and resonances – hence a physical impossibility. So we already have to accept a slower decay than desirable and some unwanted sustain after each note. And now you want even more of it and are trying to find a method to artificially make the sound even more inaccurate in terms of the timing behavior! I'm convinced that you would be heavily disappointed about the result.

The impression of an overly dry and fast bass is often coupled with a somewhat elevated upper bass (105-160 Hz) and a roll-off down to 20 Hz. The FH7 suffers just slightly from said roll-off, actually less so than most contenders, and its upper-bass emphasis is virtually nonexistent. At least that's how I hear it with my ears, which is reflected in below EQ curve (from FiiO X3II, with FiiO pure silver cable):

FH7-EQ-Curve.jpg

I also wonder how you can perceive the bass as too strong – most here have reported a slightly underrepresented bass, if anything. To my ears its low-frequency amplitude response is close to perfect, it just can use a slight low-bass boost. Maybe that's in fact the remedy for your problem, too, since a slightly dominant low bass with reference to upper bass usually leads to the perception of fullness and even slowness. Have you ever tried foam instead of silicon tips? They're reported to offer better bass extension, i.e. increased low bass. Moreover one crucial advantage: They absorb high frequencies instead of reflecting them within the cavity between ear drum and driver. Of course this leads to reduced treble intensity, but keep in mind that all that's eliminated is the artificial sustain created by the reflective silicon surface. Although this may contradict your original concept, I'd say it's worth a try. (In my book it's even a must.)

There's actually one thing that supports your wish for reduced dryness: the fact that the music we usually listen to is meant to be heard through speakers. Headphone listening lacks the additional reverberation contributed by living rooms in the case of speakers. However, artificial sustain isn't the solution for this issue – it would only muddle the sound and severely compromize transparency. What you need (if you can't live without it) is a life-like artificial reverberation. That means the original signal still has its sharp starts and stops, whereas the reverberation follows a few milliseconds later. It's nothing I would really recommend, because the added reverberation masks a lot of the spatial information (particularly depth) on the recording. What I really recommend instead is a feature I can't renounce myself: Crossfeed. It's an important tool for overcoming a decisive incompatibility between speaker-based recordings (hence virtually all) and headphone listening: low-frequency channel separation. You'll be surprised how more realistic and comfortable music will sound with a good Crossfeed (à la Chord Electronics or Meier-Audio). Also, it may absolutely contribute to a fuller, warmer bass reproduction in your sense.

Oct 21, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #1,310 of 1,922
I agree
You raise some ideas that contradict the original ideal of high fidelity and my own sonic ideals. There are no sound transducers that reproduce transients too fast and have too much control over membrane movement. Quite the opposite: All existing transducer principles have the problem that their membranes can't follow the music signal fast enough; it would require zero moving mass/inertia and an acoustic environment free from reflections and resonances – hence a physical impossibility. So we already have to accept a slower decay than desirable and some unwanted sustain after each note. And now you want even more of it and are trying to find a method to artificially make the sound even more inaccurate in terms of the timing behavior! I'm convinced that you would be heavily disappointed about the result.

The impression of an overly dry and fast bass is often coupled with a somewhat elevated upper bass (105-160 Hz) and a roll-off down to 20 Hz. The FH7 suffers just slightly from said roll-off, actually less so than most contenders, and its upper-bass emphasis is virtually nonexistent. At least that's how I hear it with my ears, which is reflected in below EQ curve (from FiiO X3II, with FiiO pure silver cable):

I also wonder how you can perceive the bass as too strong – most here have reported a slightly underrepresented bass, if anything. To my ears its low-frequency amplitude response is close to perfect, it just can use a slight low-bass boost. Maybe that's in fact the remedy for your problem, too, since a slightly dominant low bass with reference to upper bass usually leads to the perception of fullness and even slowness. Have you ever tried foam instead of silicon tips? They're reported to offer better bass extension, i.e. increased low bass. Moreover one crucial advantage: They absorb high frequencies instead of reflecting them within the cavity between ear drum and driver. Of course this leads to reduced treble intensity, but keep in mind that all that's eliminated is the artificial sustain created by the reflective silicon surface. Although this may contradict your original concept, I'd say it's worth a try. (In my book it's even a must.)

There's actually one thing that supports your wish for reduced dryness: the fact that the music we usually listen to is meant to be heard through speakers. Headphone listening lacks the additional reverberation contributed by living rooms in the case of speakers. However, artificial sustain isn't the solution for this issue – it would only muddle the sound and severely compromize transparency. What you need (if you can't live without it) is a life-like artificial reverberation. That means the original signal still has its sharp starts and stops, whereas the reverberation follows a few milliseconds later. It's nothing I would really recommend, because the added reverberation masks a lot of the spatial information (particularly depth) on the recording. What I really recommend instead is a feature I can't renounce myself: Crossfeed. It's an important tool for overcoming a decisive incompatibility between speaker-based recordings (hence virtually all) and headphone listening: low-frequency channel separation. You'll be surprised how more realistic and comfortable music will sound with a good Crossfeed (à la Chord Electronics or Meier-Audio). Also, it may absolutely contribute to a fuller, warmer bass reproduction in your sense.
I agree with JaZZ comments. In fact, I was negatively surprised the first time I heard the FH7. Compared with single dynamic driver IEMs like iBasso IT01, Dunu Titan 1, JVC Fx850, the bass and subbass sound 'dry' or not extended ('organic'). It seems strange to tune a beryllium driver to sound almost like a BA driver. In fact, voices sound like lifeless or distant (although with superb detail) in the FH7. This tuning almost made me to return it and exchange it for an IMR (R2...) that apparently sounds more 'natural' in bass but less detailed than FH7.
I decided to keep them and use different tips (spiral dots, Final.Audio tips..) and a warmer source like iFi nano BL instead of Dragonfly Red...

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #1,311 of 1,922
I agree

I agree with JaZZ comments. In fact, I was negatively surprised the first time I heard the FH7. Compared with single dynamic driver IEMs like iBasso IT01, Dunu Titan 1, JVC Fx850, the bass and subbass sound 'dry' or not extended ('organic'). It seems strange to tune a beryllium driver to sound almost like a BA driver. In fact, voices sound like lifeless or distant (although with superb detail) in the FH7. This tuning almost made me to return it and exchange it for an IMR (R2...) that apparently sounds more 'natural' in bass but less detailed than FH7.
I decided to keep them and use different tips (spiral dots, Final.Audio tips..) and a warmer source like iFi nano BL instead of Dragonfly Red...
But you still don't have them in your favorite IEMs in signature block.
And returning to dryness of bass, now I'm considering buying Oriolus BA300s, who knows, maybe it'll help.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #1,314 of 1,922
Fixed! Will keep the FH7s and test them with different tips and sources...now enjoying the bass of my fun Ikko oh10...

Oct 22, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #1,315 of 1,922
Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is? Insanity is buying $3200 source to tune your $450 IEMs.
you make me laugh.. Kkkkkk... Is this comic forum? Did I said that I bought a 3200 source to tune the fh7? insane are your deductions, I have the 1Z and bought the fh7 to have a good iem at good price, that's not my only iem, don't be insane...

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #1,316 of 1,922
you make me laugh.. Kkkkkk... Is this comic forum? Did I said that I bought a 3200 source to tune the fh7? insane are your deductions, I have the 1Z and bought the fh7 to have a good iem at good price, that's not my only iem, don't be insane...

I'm sure Wintex was not trying to imply that you had bought the 1Z to improve the bass of the FH7s, but your original post could appear to some people to recommend that route, lol. Follow your logic... " bass on FH7 with right source is very good" then "1Z makes the bass strong and deep" ergo you could be seen as recommending the 1Z to those finding the bass lacking. :ksc75smile: - ps... Wintex's post was made with a sense of humour imho.

Oct 23, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #1,319 of 1,922
I pulled the trigger on the FH7s. However, I am worried about "dryness" people are complaining about. I listen to my HD 650s most times. They are quite "wet" and organic. I would be disappointed if they were very "dry" sounding. Can someone help me here?

Oct 23, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #1,320 of 1,922
I pulled the trigger on the FH7s. However, I am worried about "dryness" people are complaining about. I listen to my HD 650s most times. They are quite "wet" and organic. I would be disappointed if they were very "dry" sounding. Can someone help me here?

I don't find them dry. Clear, revealing, and a fine balance of all frequencies to my oldish ears, definitely. I have a pair of HD600's bought in the early 2000's and find them muddled and relatively dull to what I'm used to now, ie Beyerdynamic T1 on the overear front and the FH7 for IEM. Depends what you seek with your listening. Something euphonic and swaddling or something which is incisive and gets to the heart of a recording. The FH7 veers strongly to the latter. Again, choose tips carefully. I use complys which give a good seal and possibly reduce the treble bite a bit.

Also, if you've been used to the HD650's for a long time, give your brain a chance to get used to the FH7's different signature. It may take an hour or 2 for things to come in to "focus" so to speak.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back