[FiiO FH7] Flagship 5-Driver (1DD + 4BAs) Hybrid In-Ear Monitors, Knowles DFK + SWFK Composite BA Drivers, 13.6mm Beryllium DD Driver
Aug 13, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #961 of 1,922
Ok on further reseach it looks like the cable is ment to have this weave :frowning2:

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #962 of 1,922
Eerrmm... only if you have a very sloppy understanding of «facts». Well, they are facts insofar as they indicate that someone has indeed done them. What's more interesting is their implication for the sound characteristic. And here we have to question if the deviations from a perfect transfer function are large enough to be audible. Moreover if all relevant criteria for the human hearing (or the most sensitive human hearings) have been measured.

During my intensive activity as a (hobbyist) speaker builder the most interesting and laborious occupation was the fine-tuning of the crossover network. That's where I encountered the effect of incredibly fine steps with dimensioning C and R – in the 0.1 ‰ range. The acoustic effect would by far exceed the resolution of any measuring instrument. Also, you can certainly imagine that for a component developer constant and strict blind A/B testing isn't practicable. He or she has to rely on their hearing and aural memory alone.

If we take the «officially certified» hearing threshold for frequency response and harmonic distortion derivated from various (group) ABX tests as a guideline, virtually all amplifiers for hi-fi purposes will have to sound the same. However, if your hearing is just passably sensitive and trained, you'll have to concede that it's not the case. Although measuring differences with cables are one magnitude lower, we better be careful with the term «facts» in this context.

I'm in the lucky position to own a Chord DAVE and the complementary M Scaler, two products which lead the official hearing thresholds to the absurd. Rob Watts, the developer, has discovered that unbelievably small amounts of noise-floor modulation (at –300 dB and the like) can be detrimental to the sound and designed a sophisticated noise shaping addressing the issue. Although of course the listener can't isolate this specific effect from the total work of art, the resulting sound is so convincing that I have no doubt about Rob's finding. He's also of the opinion that every single component in the signal path (even solder joints) is audible – let alone cables.

So back to the original topic: I've already reported my findings about the two FiiO cables for the FH7, silver-plated copper (LC-3.5C) and pure silver (LC-3.5D). Recently I've also used ALO's Silver Litz cable (the original Atlas cable) with the FH7, and I like it very much – probably even better than the LC-3.5D. As I already experienced with Atlas and Andromeda, it enhances the upmost treble even more than the other silver cables I own (among them the Lavricables Reference Silver) and creates an excellent synergy with the FH7: a lot of air and space. The LC-3.5D on the other hand puts more weight on texturing instead. Certainly a matter of preference, not absolute quality. It has to be said that I can't exactly reproduce the characteristic with equalizing. Sadly the left channel of the ALO shows some interrupts with the FH7 now and then – plug and socket don't seem to harmonize optimally.

As you can see, it's about listening experience, not opinion, belief or ideology. I once was a strict cable-sound disbeliever, for ideologic reasons, but that's long gone. This side of the forum is meant to be free of ideologic/pseudo-scientific discussions, so please post in the Sound Science forum for corresponding topics and leave the rest of the forum to listening experiences!
If a listener can/does benefit from the work, which I have no doubt is possible, then it will evident in an blind ABX. If there is a human-discernible difference, or different imparted ‘feeling’, then one will ‘win’ for a specific application. Not even ‘measurements’ or ‘facts’ applied - simply removing human bias and pre-shaping of beliefs.

Which is why I don’t understand why people are so opposed such.. :deadhorse:

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #963 of 1,922
Ok on further reseach it looks like the cable is ment to have this weave :frowning2:
I was a bit concerned why you are so concerned about it... :thinking:

Which is why I don’t understand why people are so opposed such.. :deadhorse:
I'm not opposed to it – you can do so for yourself if you feel the need. I simply find it unpractical and impracticable and unnecessary for myself and my habits – also since I don't give much value to A/B testing generally. O.k.?

Aug 13, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #965 of 1,922
Boom FH7 are here.

@FiiO dont know if you can see this but the cable weave is a mess all the way up on both sides :frowning2: not happy

Do I return or ask just for a replacement cable
Hey Juj, welcome to the club! Sorry to hear about the cable - I’d contact the seller and tell them about it. Don’t see why you should have to return the IEMs. Don’t you have the LC-2.5B? That’s a better cable anyway, so just use that for now. My stock FH7 cable is still in the box...

Aug 13, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #966 of 1,922
Hey Juj, welcome to the club! Sorry to hear about the cable - I’d contact the seller and tell them about it. Don’t see why you should have to return the IEMs. Don’t you have the LC-2.5B? That’s a better cable anyway, so just use that for now. My stock FH7 cable is still in the box...

It was just the weave on the upper half its ment to that way I think, just not to my tastes :p

FH7 / LC-2.5B / M11 its an epic combo loving every second :)

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xyj1po

Aug 13, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #967 of 1,922
So the last few hours have been a BLAST.

I have had the plesure of listening to the FH7 via LC2.5B* from FiiO M11 here are my initial impressions.

Presentation in the box is fantastic BOOM FH7 and a nice shiney LC3.5C cable oh and a black pill but we will get to the pills later guys. Under this is a selection of tips but not one of the supplied tips fitted my ego so cant say anything here :frowning2:

I was sad to see the small plastic case from the FH5 going but I understand and kind of like this box. Now to my only dislike about the FH7 so far, the cable yes it looks lovely but the is poor leaving me with an uneven weave after the split its so anoying it almost made me return without taking the FH7 out the box, I might still its just so ARGH :frowning2: I digress. I have not used stock cable and will use an old FiiO LC2.5B cable.

The little pill mmmmm it hides 4 filters 2 green (treble boost) and 2 red (bass boost) and the last set of filters are pre-installed are black (balanced sound).

I played with the filters giving each one 30 mins playback.
First was black and while I liked what I was hearing I found I wanted more but I couldn't place what that more was.
Changing to the red filters gave me BASS yes but the cost was I felt like the treble was pulled too much.
Last was the greens sugested by @gLer and others, I am no treble tickler so I had my reservations but sh1t he was right fat bass full mids and a sparkling treble.

I've been listening to a selection of Radiohead, El-p, Fleetwood mac, RJD2, Laurie Anderson, Kraftwerk, Sufjan Stevens, Laurent Garnier and others

Now the BIG question "Are these better Than FH5?" YES!

Treble I havent found to be too much for me and the mids are a big improvment. But if its just bass slam and only bass then the FH5 takes it, but thats not to say the FH7 dont slam its does but its a cleaner smoother slam that allows the mids and treble to come across no matter what music playing. Sound stage is also nice not the widest but by no means narrow.

This is my first write up and as such should be taken as utter sh1t and also this is the first day I might grow to dislike them but I doubt it, so if I missed anything or you would like to give me feed back feel free to say.

Oh I did pay for all the gear shown or that I talked about.

Happy listening Audiohobo Juj out

"Those who came before me
Lived through their vocations
From the past until completion
They'll turn away no more
And I still find it so hard
To say what I need to say
But I'm quite sure that you'll tell me
Just how I should feel today" Blue monday - New Order

OK the cable is the same as all the other photos I can find online so there is nothing wrong with it just I dislike the weave
Brilliant write-up Juj! They’ll get even better over time. And yes that cable weave is just like that. I don’t particularly like the C cable, don’t know what the fuss is about them. In my experience the B sound better, are built much better and cost half the price. Hope you continue enjoying.

Aug 13, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #969 of 1,922
Spiral Dot M are my go-to for the FH7. Fit me like a glove. Won’t seal airplane or tube noise but perfect for anything else.

Thanks for the suggestion I'm limited here in scotland to just ebay for a pair :frowning2:

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #971 of 1,922
Brilliant write-up Juj! They’ll get even better over time. And yes that cable weave is just like that. I don’t particularly like the C cable, don’t know what the fuss is about them. In my experience the B sound better, are built much better and cost half the price. Hope you continue enjoying.
Hi sir, between Fiio LC2.5B and LC4.4B which one you think is better ? Thank you.

Aug 14, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #972 of 1,922
Hi sir, between Fiio LC2.5B and LC4.4B which one you think is better ? Thank you.
In terms of sound quality and build they’re the same, but the 4.4 plug is more sturdy. If you have a dap that has a 4.4 port you may as well get the 4.4B.

Aug 14, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #974 of 1,922
Thank you sir, I'm using Fiio M11 now and I'll replace stock cable with Fiio LC4.4B and change the jack of FH7 stock cable to Nobunaga 4.4

Could you post some pics of the recabling process please :p

Aug 14, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #975 of 1,922
My favorite tips so far are the JVC Spiral Dot M and Dekoni bulletz smalls.

The Spiral Dots sound similar to the bass tips that came with the Fiio, but maybe a bit more open due to its wider mouth.

Dekoni's are very comfortable and seal better (obviously) and I can slip them in and out fairly easily without having to compress the foam first.

If i had to pick between the two, i would say Dekoni because theyre almost as convenient in usage as the Spiral Dots but has superior bass response and treble absorption. I'm gonna be using Dekoni's most of the time and will use Spiral dots when they wear out until I can get on another massdrop deal on a Dekoni set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back