[FiiO FH7] Flagship 5-Driver (1DD + 4BAs) Hybrid In-Ear Monitors, Knowles DFK + SWFK Composite BA Drivers, 13.6mm Beryllium DD Driver
Aug 12, 2019 at 4:29 AM Post #932 of 1,922
are these bass heavy like the fh5?

I just got mine a few days ago. I find the bass a bit heavy and too forward. I think the word "strong" really defines the bass on FH7. Similar to Denon D7000, where the bass is controlled but main character of the show.

I'm hoping with burn-in the bass will settle down and tighten up more. The treble tip helped a little bit, but I'm hoping burn-in will help mellow out the bass and let the mid/treble shine more.

Edit: To shed more light on my preferred sound sig, I know many reviews find the FH7 bright, but I think it's fine. Seems relatively neutral to me, maybe just a hint of brightness

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 4:52 AM Post #933 of 1,922
I just got mine a few days ago. I find the bass a bit heavy and too forward. I think the word "strong" really defines the bass on FH7. Similar to Denon D7000, where the bass is controlled but main character of the show.

I'm hoping with burn-in the bass will settle down and tighten up more. The treble tip helped a little bit, but I'm hoping burn-in will help mellow out the bass and let the mid/treble shine more.

Edit: To shed more light on my preferred sound sig, I know many reviews find the FH7 bright, but I think it's fine. Seems relatively neutral to me, maybe just a hint of brightness
What source are you using them with? I take it you’re not a huge bass fan?

These are probably the least ‘bassy’ IEMs FiiO has made. I find bass tight, controlled, textured and balanced. It has a real kick, but no hump and zero bleed. More sub than mid-bass emphasis. Highs are definitely more emphasised, even with bass filters. All of this using the M11.

Edit: tips make a huge difference to bass and brightness. I’m using Spiral Dots, which will have less bass warmth and smoother treble than foam tips, for example.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #934 of 1,922
What source are you using them with? I take it you’re not a huge bass fan?

These are probably the least ‘bassy’ IEMs FiiO has made. I find bass tight, controlled, textured and balanced. It has a real kick, but no hump and zero bleed. More sub than mid-bass emphasis. Highs are definitely more emphasised, even with bass filters. All of this using the M11.

Edit: tips make a huge difference to bass and brightness. I’m using Spiral Dots, which will have less bass warmth and smoother treble than foam tips, for example.

Funny enough, even though I'm not a bass head, I listen to bassy/EDM songs (e.g. REZZ, Fisher)

I'll give the spiral dots a try. None of the included tips fit my ear actually. Even the large are too small.

Aug 12, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #935 of 1,922

Good gosh, bass heavy? That is the opposite of the FH7! I would hate to see your reaction with an IEM that has plenty of bass such as the Legend X, Nemesis and even the 64UT!

Aug 12, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #936 of 1,922
I find the FH7 bass spot-on. One of the best I’ve heard in an IEM. You might find them a little light if you enjoy a thick mid-bass though (like the FA7). Same as the FH5, emphasis is more on sub-bass and linearity rather than mid bass humpiness.
so your saying the fa7 has same bass slam as the fh5 what about all the other area,s the mids/highs? and does this have deeper tube for easier ear seal?

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #937 of 1,922
so your saying the fa7 has same bass slam as the fh5 what about all the other area,s the mids/highs? and does this have deeper tube for easier ear seal?
The FH7 has about the same bass slam as the FH5, but deeper and with more control. The FH5 is probably a touch more elevated in the sub-bass, with the mid-bass on both being equal. In both cases the mids aren’t affected by the bass. The FH5 mids are more forward and can sometimes be ‘shouty’, depending on the track, whereas the FH7 mids are more balanced in the mixes and not quite as forward. The FH7 is slightly brighter and much more extended in the treble though, whereas the FH5 still has air and sparkle but the treble is more grainy and a touch rolled off. Sibilance isn’t an issue with either IEM.

As to your question, the FA7 has much thicker bass than both FH models, with a distinct mid-bass hump that bleeds into the mids. Slam/punch is about the same but the FH IEMs have more sub-bass volume and rumble. I wasn’t a fan of the FA7, other than the feel and finish which is excellent. The FH7 has a slightly longer and narrower bore than the FH5, and as such is a better fit. It’s still a narrow insertion, though, so if you prefer deep insertion IEMs, neither FH model is for you. The FA7 has a deeper insertion, which makes it less comfortable for me personally.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #938 of 1,922

I own both the Denon D2000 and Fostex TH600 and these FH7 does have many of the same qualities that I enjoy in those headphones in that they have a sweet V-shape sound signature with an impressive ability to handle bass smoothly with little to no distortion. The Denon/Fostex headphones do have a more boosted bass though, especially in the low end rumble region. They are my go-to bass headphones. But the FH7 is not to the same level in that department; it's just a really nice balance between a basshead signature and a neutral one. I find the FH5 to be closer to a basshead signature than the FH7.

Aug 12, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #940 of 1,922
Unfortunately the perceived tonal deviations don't reflect themselves in the FR graphs – at all! But the same applies to electronics components, which according to their virtually-flat frequency responses should all sound the same (and refuse to do so).

Don't bother, just keep an open mind! Frequency response is not all that matters. That said, cable sound is an absolute mystery and should not exist (to that extent – read 1.6 dB and the llike). But it clearly does to my ears.
..or mind. Blind ABX or bust on said “reason” of such claims.

That said, mind matters to music enjoyment so.. yeah, personal experience can change independently of any actual perceivable physical change.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #941 of 1,922
how is the mids/highs clarity vs the fh5?
Mids and highs of the FH7 are clearer but also slightly brighter overall. That said the FH5 mids are more forward, and highs are just a touch rolled right at the top. The FH7 is more resolving.

Aug 12, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #943 of 1,922
..or mind. Blind ABX or bust on said “reason” of such claims.

That said, mind matters to music enjoyment so.. yeah, personal experience can change independently of any actual perceivable physical change.
Hey no! We don't do blind ABX tests nor discuss them in this part of the forum. Go to the Sound Science forum if you feel like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back