[FiiO FH7] Flagship 5-Driver (1DD + 4BAs) Hybrid In-Ear Monitors, Knowles DFK + SWFK Composite BA Drivers, 13.6mm Beryllium DD Driver
Jun 30, 2019 at 2:18 AM Post #646 of 1,922
Now I'm settling in past the "honeymoon" period with the FH7, I'm curiously finding a bit of a problem listening to the X7ii with them.

There's a brittleness to the sound compared to other (various ESS Sabre based) sources or via my Mojo - which just sound amazingly lush.

Anyone else noticed this with the X7ii (direct out, not balanced, using stock cable) ??

Jun 30, 2019 at 2:24 AM Post #647 of 1,922
Now I'm settling in past the "honeymoon" period with the FH7, I'm curiously finding a bit of a problem listening to the X7ii with them.

There's a brittleness to the sound compared to other (various ESS Sabre based) sources or via my Mojo - which just sound amazingly lush.

Anyone else noticed this with the X7ii (direct out, not balanced, using stock cable) ??
You’ve probably hit the point of “too much of a good thing”, that being clarity and brightness of FH7 + clarity and brightness of Sabre dacs = too much clarity and brightness (which I always hear as thin and brittle). That’s probably why they sound so much better from slightly lusher, slightly warmer sources.

Jun 30, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #648 of 1,922
I'm still being blown away by these FH7's. I hadn't given them a proper listen via my Chord Mojo til this morning.
Rigged up the X7ii to the Mojo via USB.

Amazing. Just such a rich, lush, expansive sound. Really, these things rock, they bloom like a really good pair of speakers.

Jun 30, 2019 at 3:10 AM Post #649 of 1,922
You’ve probably hit the point of “too much of a good thing”, that being clarity and brightness of FH7 + clarity and brightness of Sabre dacs = too much clarity and brightness (which I always hear as thin and brittle). That’s probably why they sound so much better from slightly lusher, slightly warmer sources.

Yeah i hear you. Actually the "pro" Sabre dac in the X7ii is a different beast altogether. Like you say , it's too much.

Via the mojo, it's a synergic combo however. Incredible.

Jun 30, 2019 at 3:48 AM Post #650 of 1,922
Just had a demo with the Mezza Audio Rai Penta.

The Fiio is a fantastic headphone for the price. £450 for the Fiio and £970 for the Mezza. I'm no audiophile, but value wise the fiio wins hands down.

To me overall the Mezza is better sounding than the Fiio especially when it comes to the highs. The Mezza is warmer and lush, while the fiio is a little bright for my ears. Bass on both is awesome. The mids to me is where the Meze wins. I was using my SP1000 and Hugo2.

I'll be returning the Fiio and keeping the Meze.

The Meze Rai Penta smaller size is very nice. I wish my FH5 is smaller and lighter for better comfort and fit. I don't think I will be going up to the FH7 for the same reasons and I find it a little too bright for my liking. I've tried the Andromeda and really love it. As the Rai Penta is priced similar to the Andromeda, I hope to do a comparison soon. I too am looking for the end game lol...

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2019 at 4:22 AM Post #651 of 1,922
Yeah i hear you. Actually the "pro" Sabre dac in the X7ii is a different beast altogether. Like you say , it's too much.

Via the mojo, it's a synergic combo however. Incredible.
Yep, same reason I wouldn’t want to pair an HD800 with a Sabre dac or a ‘reference’ dac like a Benchmark, unless you’re into the ultra analytical sound.

Jun 30, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #652 of 1,922
Hi.I habe the fiio fa7 and fh7.Would it be worth having the fh5? I can get some cheap and barely used.I love all kinds of music.But my favorites are electronica and some rock.I love music like 90s 00s trance classics,psychedelic trance,groups like prodigy,røyksopp,armin van buuren,faithless and so on.

Jun 30, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #653 of 1,922
Screenshot_20190630-134613_Gallery.jpg

Jun 30, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #655 of 1,922
Got this picture from seller.But the cable doesnt look original,

Got this picture from seller.But the cable doesnt look original?

It’s not.

Jun 30, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #656 of 1,922

Out of the box with stock configurations, it’s already a pretty dry, bright-ish and analytical sound. Good technicalities but a bit unemotional in tonality.

However, after some changes with filters, tips, cables, sources, etc. you just need to appreciate it for what it provides. Good detail and articulation, especially in the bass, treble and followed by the mids. Excellent comfort, accessories box and cables too.

They did a really good job doing this for the price...usually it takes about CAD1000+ before you get this kind of results.

Try listening for the third voice in the center around the 1:57 min mark - Let Down by Radiohead:

https://tidal.com/track/75144331

I’ve honestly never caught it with the other IEMs I’ve listened to.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #658 of 1,922
Just reading around.... itching to share my "Jazzy" experience now... Listening to some Tidal MQA Jazz Playlist + DFR + FH7... Feels like not wearing an IEM at all, like sounds are coming everywhere, live "in a spacious room", each individual drums are tonally separate, the bass not muffled and loud but got the umff, can hear the wind blowing and the swaying of the sax, tension of the strings on the bass and the decay of the low sound, rattle of the cymbals and snares. Guess, my audio enthusiasm will stop here for now :) with this combo.

I swapped my tips with more comfortable flange from the memory one, and still happy with the balance of all highs, lows and mids.

Jul 1, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #659 of 1,922
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 1, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #660 of 1,922

I use them with x7ii and the only negative thing is they are sometimes sibilant, but as some dudes before stated, it is an issue of the track not the iem as there has to be a harsch "sh" sound to be recorded in the first to reproduce, which i think is completely true as some songs i have with harscher s sounds are sibilant and some not, it's the recording imo.
Other question can i use the hiby music app on my x7ii while utilizing the most out of the dac or do I HAVE to use the god awfull fiio music app?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back